You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Santiago, Chile - October 5, 2011

misterID wrote:

I'm hearing it, and it's pretty damn good, imo.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

One thing I think should be said is that I think Ron and the guys deserve some respect for putting in the effort to do this version justice.

I mean Slash wrote his parts for Estranged, and a lot of it has his Signature feel to it....it has to be one of the harder pieces in the catlogue to replicate authentically along with stuff like Coma and Locomotive that just doesn't sound like how other guitarists play.

Now given that they're not Slash - they had 2 choices - belt out any old version - or belt out a version that's pretty respectful to the original piece. It's clear listening to this that Ron and co are making an effort to honour the mood and vibe of the original solos - even though yes it's apparent they are different players with their own personal style. But I like that they respect the catalogue enough to do that - rather than if they'd done a new tap solo or something instead.

It's one reason why personally I like this gnr best out of the new era versions. What i prefer is the guys writing their own stuff, and Axl releasing new music and really taking GNR forward - but that happens in its own timeframe which I have no control over (and unlike most here I do see it as still happening - like CD eventually came out in the end - and I think a follow up will eventially too - it's just massively painful in terms of the waiting periods)

but in the interum if they're going to play the classic hits on tours - I like it to be done in a way that's tasteful to the originals - not like some attempt to reinvent the wheel - which is what in my opinion - the bucket/robin versions of the AFD tracks were - kind of interesting - but not really reproductions of the classic songs as we knew them.

So for me - Ron and co are doing the right thing here. they didn't write estranged - they can't do anything about that - but they are playing it in a way that's respectful and honouring of the studio cut...and I dig that.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

They play it well...I don't think anybody disputes that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I guess it's the insanity of the whole situation.

To me use your illusion is like Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

Chinese democracy is like Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel painting.

They're both kickass in their own right.

Thenwe argue over which is better.

Next we hire Raphael, and let him add little touches to the sistine chappel.

But we never get around to letting him paint "The school of Athens" rather night after night we ask him to sketch out pictures of the sistine chappel and the mona lisa.

Then we argue about if he sucks or not, and what version of everything is better.

Welcome to Guns N Renaissance.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
mickronson wrote:

I'm not hearing it tbh.  Ron with his eyes closed is no more into it than my ex with her eyes closed faking it.

Come on dude. Seriously?

I know he's covering another man's legendary work, but he is putting more passion and more effort into that song than i've ever seen him do in GN'R.

And it's my favorite song of all time. So they had big shoes to fill. If ANYONE of them BROUGHT IT, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal was the one. Not Axl.

jmo

Board footer