You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Rosario, Argentina - Salon Metropolitano (October 10, 2011)

johndivney wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Setlist

*yawn*

The setlist complaints are basicly a result of modern technology.

If GNR rolled through your town and played that setlist with you NOT following every gig prior to your town, I'm betting you would be a happy camper...
smile

no offense but that is absolute bullshit
plenty of people will go to more than 1 show on a tour, & has been the case since the 60's. plenty of people'll experience the one show despite having tix for different nights, in thqt regard it's a lack of respect for the fanbase
& you don't have to follow every gig to know it's a lazy setlist. you barely have to have been following GnR the past 20/5 yrs to know it's lame that Brownstone/KOHD are still around.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

John gets it.

I went to two back to back shows in 2006 and got identical setlists. As cool as the shows were, the lack of song changes really irriatated me, because it was lazy.

They didn't even have to do anything special, but maybe swap out CD on one show for Madagascar or Out Ta Get Me for Rocket Queen. Something like that.

Instead they did the exact same show. Had absolutely nothing to do with modern technology. It was a bummer to see IDENTICAL shows, that to this day because of identical setlists, I could not tell performances of the songs apart if someone had a loaded shotgun pointed at my nutsack.

johndivney wrote:

i'm pretty sure i remember an old Axl interview where he mentions the setlists & says about not wanting to play the same songs for the exact reason i stated - that fans come to more than one show.

i might've just dreamed that tho..

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Fuck. Why didn't Axl look like that in Rio? yikes. Boggles the mind.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

John gets it.

I went to two back to back shows in 2006 and got identical setlists. As cool as the shows were, the lack of song changes really irriatated me, because it was lazy.

They didn't even have to do anything special, but maybe swap out CD on one show for Madagascar or Out Ta Get Me for Rocket Queen. Something like that.

Instead they did the exact same show. Had absolutely nothing to do with modern technology. It was a bummer to see IDENTICAL shows, that to this day because of identical setlists, I could not tell performances of the songs apart if someone had a loaded shotgun pointed at my nutsack.

I don't agree that it's because they're lazy.
It's more about giving the majority what they come for and throwing in some "new" songs for us diehards. And even giving into fans that have been screaming for Estranged for many years now!

If 2006 is the last time you saw them, you'll most likely get plenty of songs you haven't seen live yet.

Sounds to me like you're 90% satisfied with the setlist, since all you crave is that they swap a song or two. So if you're going to more than 1 show this time around, let's cross our fingers for you!

johndivney wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

John gets it.

I don't agree that it's because they're lazy.
It's more about giving the majority what they come for and throwing in some "new" songs for us diehards.
And even giving into fans that have been screaming for Estranged for many years now!

it shouldn't be about either of those things, & they shouldn't have to 'give into fans' over Estranged
they should be going out to give the absolute best & fullest representation of GnR they can give night in night out - that dictates what songs are played. these setlists suck more life out of the dying rock n roll machine having been pre-determined 6/12months in advance. there is no spark or suggestion of spontaneity which are crucial in great rock concerts/performances when the setlists are as staid as they currently are. there's a bigger responsibility than just giving the majority what they paid for or playing songs for the diehards, it's to the prestige & credibility of the organisation & that is being damaged by the half-hearted setlists & lack of prep for any alternatives.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Just off the top of my head.

New songs for each tour:

2002: Oh My God, Rhiad, Madagascar, The Blues, Think About You, CD, Silkworms

2006: Better, TWAT, IRS, Down On The Farm, Nice Boys

2010: Sorry, Shackler, This I Love, Prostitute, Scraped, If The World, Estranged, Don't Cry

Maybe not Bob Dylan but more variation than some bands and I'd guess above average in general.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The old band was slightly better, but apart from the summer of 91 there wasn't huge changes from night to night. All bands fall into comfort zones.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The other night they played Another Brick In The Wall, Baba O'Reilly, James Bond Theme, Pink Panther Theme, Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Live and Let Die.

8 cover songs. That's not counting the other GN'R and CD cover songs.

WHAT A BAND! roll

Board footer