You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Mexico City - Palacio de los Deportes - October 18, 2011

metallex78 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Axl handled the situation professionally.

Well, that's gotta be a first...:laugh:

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Setlist is starting to get boring.

hmm

Not as boring as the tired old bitching about setlists argument.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  It was bound to happen eventually.  I'm actually surprised it took more than a handful of shows.  Nice show of progression.  (Not a shot at you personally Axlin)

Not bitching about setlists and drinking Kool Aid gets old too.

Even their fuckin' solos (other than DJ) are fuckin' covers. The other night I counted EIGHT FUCKING COVERS. EIGHT.

They ain't counting the fact the majority of the set the band playing them other than Axl, didn't write either.

Play our own shit, that's all i'm asking.

Here's the problem I have with your rationale though.  I have voiced my concerns about the setlists.  I don't blame people for wanting to hear less covers, more UYI songs, more CD songs.  Completely fair and objective points, and I agree with them all.  I just have a problem with your use of the word "boring" to describe the setlists.  Of course it's BORING for you to come on the internet and READ the same song titles over and over, sometimes in a slightly different order, with a FEW exceptions.  I doubt it's BORING to see the songs performed live though.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm going to see them in a month and I can't wait to see them perform the same 20ish songs.  I won't find it the least bit boring.  I'm sorry you will, sitting at your keyboard.  Can't say I blame you.  In fact, I'm sort of with you.  The first 3 or 4 shows I stayed up late to get the updates, watched all the videos I could.  I was ecstatic.  The last few shows I didn't follow closely at all and haven't watched any videos so far.  They are the same songs, so I get it.  I'm just not "bored" by it, that's all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Let me break it down for you...

There's only two things in the world of GN'R that matter to me in 2011:

A) new music

or

B) a reunion

That's it. If Axl wants to release CD II and tour behind it for another two years across the world, playing setlists with half-CD2, CD-the song & Better from CD, and the rest old hits... FUCKING WONDERFUL. I would applaud it, love it, support it, and give him all my love for doing it.

I'm gonna see GN'R next week. NEXT WEEK BABY. And the LAST MOTHER FUCKIN' thing I want to see, when I just dropped over $100 bucks for A ticket (counting parking, not counting a 4-hour round trip w/ gas--shit)... is the SAME SHOW I saw TWICE in 2006.

That's all. I gotta be cost-effective in 2011, and as much as I love Axl, and frankly the rest of GN'R, I want a show that is as worth my while as I can get.

In 2006 I got this (both shows, same set):

Jungle
Easy
Nightrain
OTGM
Mr. B
City
Michelle
SCOM
Patience
Used To Love Her
LALD
Rain
KOHD
YCBM
CD
Better
SOD
I.R.S.

18 songs: AFD-8, Lies-2, UYI1-2, UYI2-2, CD-4

I would hope in 2011, based on their master-setlist, i'd get this:

Jungle
Easy
Mr. B
City
SCOM
RQ
Nice Boys
Don't Cry
Rain
Estranged
YCBM
Shackler's
ITW
TWAT
Sorry
Maddy
TIL
Going Down
Oh My God
Whole Lotta Rosie (yes, i'd like to hear it live for once, I love GNR's version)

20 songs: Suicide-1, AFD-6, UYI1-2, UYI2-2, CD-5, Bonus-3 (notice these number tally's aren't much different from 2006?)

20 songs, also featuring two covers. Wow, a whole whopping TWO SONGS extra. I'm not asking for the world. I'm not asking for fuckin' Move To The City, Locomotive and Breakdown in the same show. I'm not asking for anything wacky. Just based off of the setlist provided. They also wouldn't even have to play longer. Cutting Axl's extending "shit break" 8-minute KOHD could make up for two extra songs, not to mention cutting LALD would mean cutting Richard's solo, also opening up two additional slots. So in the end, they'd only be playing 1 song or so longer.

I would praise Axl & GN'R for YEARS to come if they played those songs. That's a hellicious show based right off their own current master-set. It's win win for me. I get to hear the standards & my faves (old songs). I get to hear my CD songs that I haven't heard live (do I really need to hear Better without Robin Finck, or SOD a THIRD time? no) Plus I get a new song, get to hear Oh My God (for only the 2nd or 3rd time ever in band history), and frankly I have always enjoyed the live energy created by Nice Boys and Whole Lotta Rosie. I'd much rather hear GN'R perform them in person for the first time in my life.

jmho

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

A) new music

or

B) a reunion

That's it.

You poor poor bastard....that's a problem cos let's face it man...neither of those things is on the cards for a while.

I believe there will be new music...but I think we're at least a couple of years out from it - based on the difficulty of most GNR negotiations - even if it's finished recording we're looking at a year of deal making at least.

As for a reunion. I doubt it's going to happen. I could maybe see if any original member  died that the others might come together to play 1 or 2 tracks at a memorial night or something of that nature. I think that's the type of perspective altering event that would be needed to crack this division at this stage - and obviously I deeply don't want for it to occur.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Not sure if this is from second or first night or whatever, but I watched it and wrote this on FB

The fascination of Axl Rose in a nutshell: At 0:40 seconds, DJ Ashba has started Welcome to the Jungle, and Axl is on stage screaming out the classic first words. So, there he is, and you're not quite sure whether he's gonna punch the entire front row in the face, throw the microphone to hell or launch into a monster scream not an inch worse in quality than he did in 1988. It's so on the edge, doesn't matter if he's playing on it or not, you're just a bit scared of what's gonna happen next and then it starts. That's why it's never boring to follow Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses. Entertainment or death.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great post...Axl's edgyness has always made GNR so captivating...I've always thought .love him or hate him the guy is what he is and what he feels is real to him.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

A) new music

or

B) a reunion

That's it. If Axl wants to release CD II and tour behind it for another two years across the world, playing setlists with half-CD2, CD-the song & Better from CD, and the rest old hits... FUCKING WONDERFUL. I would applaud it, love it, support it, and give him all my love for doing it.

I'm gonna see GN'R next week. NEXT WEEK BABY. And the LAST MOTHER FUCKIN' thing I want to see, when I just dropped over $100 bucks for A ticket (counting parking, not counting a 4-hour round trip w/ gas--shit)... is the SAME SHOW I saw TWICE in 2006.

That's all. I gotta be cost-effective in 2011, and as much as I love Axl, and frankly the rest of GN'R, I want a show that is as worth my while as I can get.

In 2006 I got this (both shows, same set):

Jungle
Easy
Nightrain
OTGM
Mr. B
City
Michelle
SCOM
Patience
Used To Love Her
LALD
Rain
KOHD
YCBM
CD
Better
SOD
I.R.S.

18 songs: AFD-8, Lies-2, UYI1-2, UYI2-2, CD-4

I would hope in 2011, based on their master-setlist, i'd get this:

Jungle
Easy
Mr. B
City
SCOM
RQ
Nice Boys
Don't Cry
Rain
Estranged
YCBM
Shackler's
ITW
TWAT
Sorry
Maddy
TIL
Going Down
Oh My God
Whole Lotta Rosie (yes, i'd like to hear it live for once, I love GNR's version)

20 songs: Suicide-1, AFD-6, UYI1-2, UYI2-2, CD-5, Bonus-3 (notice these number tally's aren't much different from 2006?)

20 songs, also featuring two covers. Wow, a whole whopping TWO SONGS extra. I'm not asking for the world. I'm not asking for fuckin' Move To The City, Locomotive and Breakdown in the same show. I'm not asking for anything wacky. Just based off of the setlist provided. They also wouldn't even have to play longer. Cutting Axl's extending "shit break" 8-minute KOHD could make up for two extra songs, not to mention cutting LALD would mean cutting Richard's solo, also opening up two additional slots. So in the end, they'd only be playing 1 song or so longer.

I would praise Axl & GN'R for YEARS to come if they played those songs. That's a hellicious show based right off their own current master-set. It's win win for me. I get to hear the standards & my faves (old songs). I get to hear my CD songs that I haven't heard live (do I really need to hear Better without Robin Finck, or SOD a THIRD time? no) Plus I get a new song, get to hear Oh My God (for only the 2nd or 3rd time ever in band history), and frankly I have always enjoyed the live energy created by Nice Boys and Whole Lotta Rosie. I'd much rather hear GN'R perform them in person for the first time in my life.

jmho

I get it, and that setlist isn't unreasonable. I just wouldn't get your hopes up. They have apparently settled into the 5 CD songs they like to play. You may get an alternate from time to time, though it hasn't hapened in awhile. And you may get Oh My God or Going Down somewhere down the road, though I'd highly doubt in the same show.

And as monkey alluded to. This tour is not about new music. I wish it was, but we're just not there. Maybe someday, but now is not the time. As crazy as it sounds they are touring the hits and CD (albeit the same 5 songs so far). They've played this show for the rest of the world for 2 years now. Now it's our turn.

So if those are your hopes and expectations, I'm not sure why you bought a ticket because it's doubtful they will be met. It seems to me like you're going in with a negative attitude and setting yourself up to be disappointed. I hope that's not the case and I hope you have a kick ass time. There are worse things you could be doing that night I'm sure. It can't be all that bad.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

I get it, and that setlist isn't unreasonable. I just wouldn't get your hopes up. They have apparently settled into the 5 CD songs they like to play. You may get an alternate from time to time, though it hasn't hapened in awhile. And you may get Oh My God or Going Down somewhere down the road, though I'd highly doubt in the same show.

And as monkey alluded to. This tour is not about new music. I wish it was, but we're just not there. Maybe someday, but now is not the time. As crazy as it sounds they are touring the hits and CD (albeit the same 5 songs so far). They've played this show for the rest of the world for 2 years now. Now it's our turn.

So if those are your hopes and expectations, I'm not sure why you bought a ticket because it's doubtful they will be met. It seems to me like you're going in with a negative attitude and setting yourself up to be disappointed. I hope that's not the case and I hope you have a kick ass time. There are worse things you could be doing that night I'm sure. It can't be all that bad.

Maybe I am. I dunno. I talked at length with Bono about this in PM's a couple weeks ago.... i'm about ready to just go to this show, just feel the music, have a fun time, and call it a finale, and just sign off from the world of Guns N' Roses forever.

All of this bullshit about "you get it or you don't", "Axl Rose is never boring"... whatever. In 2002 that was true. Maybe a little in 2006. It's dead now. Axl Rose has been boring for years. His schtick got old a long fuckin' time ago. It all turned for me after that gay ass PR in late 2006, but it truely buried after that awful CD rollout. That was the clincher.

So basically what you have to do is you have to look at the base level of the music and it's quality. Thus my "The Bottom Line" thread. Which is why I posted it. At the end of the day, it comes down to music and did you enjoy what you heard.

I think if Axl plays the same set he's been playing, as long as his 2010 voice is there, and not that Rio IV crap, then you got what you paid for and you had a great time and THAT is why I bought a ticket. And ONLY that.

Maybe i'm taking it too seriously. Maybe it's more of a comment on my fragile psyche and how life really fucking sucks these days, and a GN'R show is the only bright spot among them.

I don't know. I don't mean any of this shit personally, but i'm kinda done with this shit. I really am. Hits shows w/ no real GN'R band members, no new music featuring the great talent currently the band... what's the fuckin' point?

The only point there can be is just a good night of 2 hours of great music. But after that, what the fuck else is there? Following a NA tour of hits AGAIN with no new music in sight?

No thanks, I did that from 2001-2011, and as much as I love Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses and everyone here at Evo... I don't have it in me to follow like we have all these years.

But I don't want to leave it like this. That's why I want to go to this show. It'll either be a proper goodbye, or a new beginning. I won't know until the dead is done.

johndivney wrote:

it's the people who don't take it seriously enough that is the problem

some times i think why should i care when it's plainly obv what axl & his crew care about & want

but... i always get sucked back in - partly cause of the drama, partly out of hope but mainly it's because when they get the formula right GnR songs have a magic that still blow me away & make it worth while.

i don't think it'll be either a goodbye/new beginning - it could be such is the risk & inconsistency of Axl's performance. it'll prob be bittersweet some excellent moments & some moments you wish the potential had been fulfilled (be that old band members/lack of new material). so p much where u are right now.

i went thru a great gig & a massively disappointing gig in the 2 shows i saw last yr. nothing changed. it was great entertainment & concern over whether they'd keep it together, all condensed into two days. & so it goes on..

Board footer