You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Mexico City (2nd Night) - Palacio de los Deportes - October 19, 2011

misterID wrote:

I always thought AFD sounded better live, too.

Which sucks about Live Era, because most of it is you're not hearing anything live, but Axl redubbed vocals. He should have just put out AFD Redux, where I'm sure those vocals came from, as a free bonus disk with CD or streamed on their website, and put out a REAL live album. Mostly from the Izzy-Steven era with the AFD material.

I actually think some of those new vocals on Live Era were really cool, like Nightrain, YCBM, SCOM, RQ... But man, there were so many killer Axl moments from those tours, it's a shame they didn't put them on the album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I'm usually not a set list bitcher but oh man, those two AC/DC covers piss me off.

I can understand them doing Whole Lotta Rosie to a point.  I mean, at least it's a VERY well known ACDC song that the crowd will generally react favorably to.  And the band plays it well too.  But I didn't know what the hell Riff Raff was until this tour and I'm sure a lot of casuals who aren't "in the know" have a similar reaction when they hear them play it.  "What song was that?"

That one I don't get.  Rosie is fine with me.  Obviously, given the choice, I'd take a Civil War or TWAT over it, but I can deal with it.  And I'd ease up on calling LALD and KOHD "covers".  I mean, technically they are.  But they have made those songs their own, they've always been staples at the shows.  They really shouldn't be compared to the likes of Riff Raff or Sway, etc.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

One thing I find is after the live versions I start wanting the live lyrics.

Like in Nightrain...the screamed "I guess I guess I'll never fucking learn" you get sometimes and the "take it" as it goes to the solo.....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

One thing I find is after the live versions I start wanting the live lyrics.

Like in Nightrain...the screamed "I guess I guess I'll never fucking learn" you get sometimes and the "take it" as it goes to the solo.....

Back in 2002 you had the "with your ass in the air" line during YCBM.  I still sing that from time to time these days.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

"Okay, nevermind!" 

wink

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Faldor, he did the "ass in the air" from 92-93 as well...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Problem with CD songs, most sound pretty terrible live. the ones they play are the ones they pull off well and Better is always hit or miss.

TWAT,Shacklers,Prostitute are terrible live and IRS is Shogtun Blues level bad so have no interest in hearing it live anyway

Reminds me of Motley Crue's The Dirt book and how they talk about touring after Generation Swine and what a blast it was playing the old songs but felt robotic and empty doing the electronica stuff off Swine or something like that

I pretty much agree with this. CD songs have so much extra shit in them (like sandman referenced), they just don't transfer live as well as the AFD & UYI trx did. However that is not the case of every song.

CD
--- one of the songs that did transfer. The studio cut is superior, but this has always been a hard rocker live.

Shackler's
--- tricky. I've heard it sound 'good', but never great, and never close to the studio version in pacing. It's a song i'd like to hear live once, but probably something they've already buried, despite it being on their master-set for 2011-12.

Better
--- NOTHING live without Robin Finck (this one's for you Russ). The 2006 live performances of it were AMAZING, and better than the studio version. A rare feat for a CD song.

SOD
--- Was great in 2002 with the more guitar-driven version with Robin & Bucket. The song is still decent, but something about it is very forgettable in the present day, and certaintly not comparable to the studio version.

ITW
--- Absolutely amazing live, and although I wouldn't necessarily call it superior to the studio cut live, I cannot BELIEVE they do NOT play it more. Stunning. One of the CD songs Axl sounds amazing on live. Maybe the band struggles with it?

TWAT
--- One of the greatest GN'R tunes they've ever done in band history in the studio. A complete clunky piece of shit live. Although i'd like to hear it live once in person, they need to just give it up. Like Breakdown, it's just not gonna transfer live.

Catcher
--- Piece of shit live. I think they've pretty much given up on it. Good. It's a great song in the studio, that they butcher live.

Scraped
--- This is actually another one that Axl sounds great on live, IF he hits his notes. It's obviously very difficult for him to sing, so that's why it's an alternate. But it does have some OTGM-energy, but like OTGM, why shelve a "hit" for a deep cut? Scraped will always be a deep cut.

Riad
--- Obviously buried since 2002, and rightfully so. It's done.

Sorry
--- One of the few CD songs they do REALLY good live. But it's still not superior to the studio version.

I.R.S.
--- The Bad Apples of CD, and that's probably an insult to Bad Apples. It's done. 'nuff said

Madagascar
--- One of my favorite GN'R tunes ever that has NOT been the same live since 2002.

This I Love
--- Probably THE BEST performed live CD song i've ever heard counting all CD eras, other than maybe Better 2006.

Prostitute
--- A completely clunky, bitch of a song to perform live, plus the outro isn't there, which is probably it's best part. It's buried.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'd argue that Catcher works pretty well in the acoustic sets they do - those little club shows.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with that. Catcher works far more with a lower-register Axl.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

irs is awesome live, especially when axl is into it

Board footer