You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: Guns N' Roses on YouTube

Naltav wrote:
faldor wrote:

And they seem out to prove a point.  Unfortunately, not enough people are realizing their greatness according to the attendance at some of the shows.  Not that I was expecting anything different, just pointing it out.  It has to be a little strange for GNR to go from playing to 70K in South America to 7K a night in the US.  But it hasn't affected their attitude or effort.

I've thought a bit about this lately...

The shows so far seem to have been really well received by, not only the few diehards, but the casuals and the media/critics. And the band are firing on all sylinders as if, like you said, they're out to prove a point.

I think they know that if they wanna have a chance to do another arena tour (or maybe larger venues), the crowds that are attending the current tour are gonna have to be persuaded to come again next time AND bring a friend or three!
smile

And the way to do that, is to do exactly what they're doing now, being nice (no riots), interacting with the fans, rocking the FUCK out and giving them a show worth their money!

And doing it like this, the casuals (the majority at the gigs) are not gonna just tell ONE friend about the awesome GNR-gig. They're gonna tell ALL of their friends and EVERYBODY at work/school!

So that next time GNR roll through town (CDII-tour 2013?  16), people KNOW they're gonna miss something cool if they're not there!

Anyway... just my two cents!  smile

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Hopefully I'm not the only one who hadn't heard this before!  smile

[youtube]xau1kvOrcKU&feature=related[/youtube]

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's basically an instrumental cover with Axl's Rock Band vocals layered over it.

Meh

Naltav wrote:
faldor wrote:

And they seem out to prove a point.  Unfortunately, not enough people are realizing their greatness according to the attendance at some of the shows.  Not that I was expecting anything different, just pointing it out.  It has to be a little strange for GNR to go from playing to 70K in South America to 7K a night in the US.  But it hasn't affected their attitude or effort.

I've thought a bit about this lately...

The shows so far seem to have been really well received by, not only the few diehards, but the casuals and the media/critics. And the band are firing on all sylinders as if, like you said, they're out to prove a point.

I think they know that if they wanna have a chance to do another arena tour (or maybe larger venues), the crowds that are attending the current tour are gonna have to be persuaded to come again next time AND bring a friend or three!
smile

And the way to do that, is to do exactly what they're doing now, being nice (no riots), interacting with the fans, rocking the FUCK out and giving them a show worth their money!

And doing it like this, the casuals (the majority at the gigs) are not gonna just tell ONE friend about the awesome GNR-gig. They're gonna tell ALL of their friends and EVERYBODY at work/school!

So that next time GNR roll through town (CDII-tour 2013?  16), people KNOW they're gonna miss something cool if they're not there!

Anyway... just my two cents!  smile

They're gonna need an album in America. Attendence has been about what it was in 2002, 2006, and now. Maybe if they wanna wait another 4-5 years and tour again...

Maybe they can just be nice, and play the same old same old and it be a success.

But if they want another American jaunt within the next year or so... they're gonna need something to push whether it be a new album, or a short-term reunion tour promoted with the Rock Hall.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Nice, I hadn't seen that before.  They all seem to be fully enjoying themselves on this tour, especially Axl.  And they seem out to prove a point.  Unfortunately, not enough people are realizing their greatness according to the attendance at some of the shows.  Not that I was expecting anything different, just pointing it out.  It has to be a little strange for GNR to go from playing to 70K in South America to 7K a night in the US.  But it hasn't affected their attitude or effort.  They're still putting in every ounce of energy they can into these shows.  It's as if they've accepted the fact that they're not going to take America by storm and they're determined to give the fans that do come out to see them everything they've got.  Axl could easily have packed it in this tour and play the minimum 2 hour/18 song set, but they're routinely doing close to 3 hour shows and playing 25'ish songs a night.

I wish more people would take notice because they're missing out on something special.  But, what can you do?

I agree it seems lieka  much different Axl and by different I mean better. This is where the guy shoudl be at this stage in his life.

Problem is they need a new album. America is never gonan give them the time of day untill they blow them away via radio. They can ahve the best live shwo the world has ever seen and it won't matter if there's nothing for people to latch onot that makes them wanna go to the show. So far they don't ahve that other than old classics that were created by nobody in this band other than Axl so.... they really do need a new album. Build off this momentum of positive reviews, and good vibes.  If they go into hiding again .... man oh man.  I think if they tour again with no album despite how good they are live right now the crowds will be even smaller.

Bono

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Something small I noticed at all 3 shows was this; at the end of This I Love, all 3 crowds went ape shit. When Axl stood there on top of the monitor while the keys were winding down, the lights were fading and the applause were starting get louder he gave a slow, last second, literal tip of the hat to the crowd. It made the applause even louder each time and I might be reading too much into it, but it really seemed like a sincere "Thank you for listening even though I know you don't know that tune" gesture from Axl. Hard to describe so hopefully I did well somewhat.

The same type of deal happend in Calgary in 2010. I don't recall if Axl tipped his hat or if he was even wearing one at the time but that is the one song in the set where his voice truely gets a chance to shine and I think that's what people like about that song being performed. Even the guys I was with who had no clue what the song was were impressed. Axl busts his nuts performing that song in particular so I think the crowd appreciates the effort and they also appreciate the fact he sounds like  the old Axl in spades when he sings that song so....

Bono

Bono wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Hopefully I'm not the only one who hadn't heard this before!  smile

[youtube]xau1kvOrcKU&feature=related[/youtube]

I'd never heard it before and I honestly, truely believe this is much better than the album version.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Nice, I hadn't seen that before.  They all seem to be fully enjoying themselves on this tour, especially Axl.  And they seem out to prove a point.  Unfortunately, not enough people are realizing their greatness according to the attendance at some of the shows.  Not that I was expecting anything different, just pointing it out.  It has to be a little strange for GNR to go from playing to 70K in South America to 7K a night in the US.  But it hasn't affected their attitude or effort.  They're still putting in every ounce of energy they can into these shows.  It's as if they've accepted the fact that they're not going to take America by storm and they're determined to give the fans that do come out to see them everything they've got.  Axl could easily have packed it in this tour and play the minimum 2 hour/18 song set, but they're routinely doing close to 3 hour shows and playing 25'ish songs a night.

I wish more people would take notice because they're missing out on something special.  But, what can you do?

I agree it seems lieka  much different Axl and by different I mean better. This is where the guy shoudl be at this stage in his life.

Problem is they need a new album. America is never gonan give them the time of day untill they blow them away via radio. They can ahve the best live shwo the world has ever seen and it won't matter if there's nothing for people to latch onot that makes them wanna go to the show. So far they don't ahve that other than old classics that were created by nobody in this band other than Axl so.... they really do need a new album. Build off this momentum of positive reviews, and good vibes.  If they go into hiding again .... man oh man.  I think if they tour again with no album despite how good they are live right now the crowds will be even smaller.

GNR has become much more fan friendly over the last couple of years, which is certainly a step in the right direction.  Not that it's a HUGE thing, but even something like them tweeting what songs they're playing and pictures WHILE the show is going in, is quite cool when you think of it. 

I agree, a new album, promotion, and a hit single or two would be needed to make a difference in the US.  Sometimes I wonder how much of a difference can actually be made though.  I truly believe people have made up their minds and they refuse to view this lineup as GNR, so they won't lend an ounce of support to it regardless of what they hear.  Now I'm sure they could win over more than a few fans, but I just don't think they can get back to the level of a Pearl Jam, U2, Bon Jovi, etc.  I know that's asking a lot, but I just think there's a ceiling on how successful this lineup can be here in the US.

My friends were blown away by the show (mainly Axl) and have been speaking glowingly of it to others who didn't go.  So I do think that could have a slight impact next time around, but not so much if they don't carry on with this momentum they've built.  With that being said though, my friends would still much rather see Slash and company onstage with Axl.  That feeling will never go away, regardless of how good the current lineup sounds.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I love it. I can't remember a time that I was happier being a Guns N' Roses fan. And before this tour started, I was pretty much at the end, which I had never been at.

I think the good guy buddy duo of DJ & Ron really help Axl, and making the whole thing a soothing experience. It's gotta help having Tommy back there to pick things up when Axl's not there too. Dizzy & Frank are also very happy-go-lucky personalities.

Being cool with your fans goes miles and miles. Look at Pearl Jam. Almost universally what people love about them most is that aspect of them.

I just wish Guns would shake it up and do more impromptu stuff, and release music more often, even if it's just them jamming Cornshucker.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd love to see a GN'R and Janes Addiction tour. I think it would help out both bands and it would be a sell out each night. Axl would have to love that idea.

Board footer