You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The next GnR record is going to be mostly CD leftovers. 

I will say this: if you're going to have DJ doing this interview, he damn well better be writing the next album, and they better be talking about it with specific timelines.  Otherwise it doesn't matter what DJ is doing.

They aren't moving on.  Nothing that has happened to date gives any indication that they are moving on at all.  I used to think highly of your posts monkey, but I don't know what you're smoking lately.

By way of explination, to my eyes the impression I got of the original concept was that CD was going to come out to much fanfare, then there would be a  european tour, then a USA tour following that...and then Axl would look into finishing up the second album. And that was going to happen circa 2009 or so.

Now obviously it didn't go down that way. Robin quit the band. When the album came out something caused Axl to go into hiding (either his own temprement or perhaps as a reaction to some of this business drama with Azoff or whatever the hell). Things went to shit as they do in GNR.

But then I also see stuff happening at the slow pace. The album did come out eventually. And a while back that was by no means certain. GNR did move on post Robin - just as it did post everyone else. Right or Wrong and Slow Motion aside..Axl doesn't seem to ever quit. The international tours happened....and now....I see the USA tour finally happening....sure it's 5 years after the fact or whatever....but it is happening again....

This leads me to believe that CD2 or other new music will eventually happen as well. Probably on some time line that's horiffic to fans...but I dunno..I see it as something that eventually will occur.

Meanwhile...DJ's been saying quite a bit that there's new GNR music in the works. I take that on face value. That he's working on songs. Maybe it doesn't come to anything because of the Axlness or maybe it does. But it does show to me some kind of potential for forward movment - might not happen - but it's sure as hell more positive than if he isn't working on new songs! It's a starting place...the seed for the tree to grow.

So as for this interview...of course, we don't know what will happen at this interview, maybe it will be a non event and will be Axl, DJ and Eddie talking about football and KISS for an hour. Or maybe there's real info to be had.

I just figure - the potential to find out about what I want to know about is there - and it would be interesting to see what DJ says about writing with Axl with Axl around - as some of his other quotes seem a little hesitant in the way of people in GNR talking about GNR - they have that "please for the love of god don't twist my words to make it sound negative or shit will go down. Look I love my band" flavour 14. So it would be interesting to see if he says anything about it, or if he just defers to Axl, and then it would be interesting to see what Axl says - as based on previous intervews Axl would either just give a "that's something we're not talking about" kind of responce....OR....he'd open up and spill his guts about his dreams and plans for the band. (Like when he said about multiple albums years back). Again - might not happen even if he annouces it - but for me that's interesting. Hell - even if the songs are not released - to me it would be interesting to hear more about what exists somewhere that we might see in some future world. Like I find it interesting (and wrongtown) that there's a re-recorded AFD, and I find it interesting to think of the lost Slash/izzy works that exist somewhere. If DJ and Axl write stuff that sits on an HDD for a decade...I want to know!

So I dunno...it could be an interview about nothing, but for me DJ and Axl together is probably the most likely combination for the kind of interview I'm hoping it turns out to be - with Axl in his jovial mood and being willing to talk about plans...of course could go down the other way.

But yeah...that's what I'm smoking...and to be honest...just kinda found it odd that people were upset about this interview. Like I'm always wanting more interviews and shit. So to get one announced and we have 12 pages of saying it sucks before we even know what they talk about seems a little premature to me. It might turn out to suck...but damn...seems like it's not being given much of a chance around here to me.:peace:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well it sounds like its gonna be cool to me 9

Lomax wrote:

To be honest. This is one of the brighter moments in the past 10 years of GNR history.

We're here talking about the follow up to Chinese Democracy which dropped and was good (for me) while we wait on an hour long Axl interview shot just after he ripped the roof off his first show on US soil in 5 years.

These are interesting and fun times again to be a GNR fan.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah for years one of my biggest qualms was the silence from the band

DJ and ron are leading the charge but there have rbeen a few from Axl, tommy, dizzy, pitman and fortus as well

to have an hour promised from two band members at once is fucking fantastic

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No it's not Neemo, it's not a sign at ALL of things signaling a move. NOTHING Axl has done at all in the past 48 hours has shown anything of progress

*sarcasm*

It's the best shit i've seen since the new band's inception. Axl doing an hour interview with a new band member is GLORIOUS news.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Ron and DJ are both lead players.

Whatever that means.

It's obvious that DJ is the #1 on the future albums, or otherwise Axl would've moved forward with Ron, without Robin, and never hired DJ.

Think about it. In 2011, it's obvious that Ron, as much as I love the guy, is not who Axl's gonna back on the future of Guns. Otherwise he'd already done it.

Smoking Guns wrote:

What is really crazy is Slash is going to be on TMS again soon to discuss his new album and played 3 tunes for Eddie.. A week later Trunk is FL to see GNR/Axl and they have an hour long chat... And now Duff may be opening for GNR?  Any chance Axl and Slash patched things up behind closed doors already?  Or is Eddie the new "mediator" that is friends with both Slash and Axl?  Slash has doen TMS (That Metal Show) twice now and is giving details on new music, etc.  So is Axl following Slash's lead by doing the same on the same fucking show?  How odd, but cool for Eddie Trunk!

Everyone seems to talk to both Slash and Axl these days, but Slash and Axl don't talk to each other.  So weird.

You know, someone at the show said that to me and I just initially brushed it off, but as time has went on it's really gotten me thinking over and over about it.

Axl was in such an amazing mood that they commented "Axl looks like he just struck some sort of agreement behind the scenes. Like some sort of weight has been lifted off his shoulders".

It got me to thinking... could some sort of old band business been taken care of that we don't know yet? Anytime Axl acts like this (Izzy in 2006, Duff in 2010, now something in 2011)... he always is on cloud nine when some sort of old band shit is going well.

Just sayin'

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl was in such an amazing mood that they commented "Axl looks like he just struck some sort of agreement behind the scenes. Like some sort of weight has been lifted off his shoulders".

It got me to thinking... could some sort of old band business been taken care of that we don't know yet? Anytime Axl acts like this (Izzy in 2006, Duff in 2010, now something in 2011)... he always is on cloud nine when some sort of old band shit is going well.
Just sayin'

To quote Dave mustaine: "I'd be the first in line, but it better work this time" 14 I see what you mean but I  think there's zero reunion activity myself.

If Axl seems refreshed, I think it's because the USA tour has always been the final chapter in the CD saga.

I was thinking about it just now. Fuck man - it's 18 years since I saw GNR on the UYI tour - 18 fucking years since GNR acted like a 'normal' band. Of the ups and downs. Of the triumphs of the fucking disapointments. The thing is - I'm exhausted - and I have no sane reason to give a shit - I'm a fucker who sits at home thinking too much about GNR when I should be out changing the world on my own account - but even I - with no pressure - with no real vested interest in the outcome - feel the stress at this point - so fuck - I think about what it must be like to be Axl and I can't figure it man. To go from rags to ritches. To be 27 and be in the biggest band in the world. To have all the women he had - yet to loose the loves he's paid for so dearly emotionally. To have every thing and nothing. To make music like he did with the old band, to fight with them. To have slash quit. To know it's his fault, and to know it's their fault. To fucking live this shit. Finding buckethead, loosing buckethead, the 1,000,000 screaming their love for you at an airport, the 1,000,000 calling you an asshole on the internet. To heal your broken heart, to even try and write music on par with the old albums in the face of this. Fuck....i couldn't do that. Say what you want about Axl but he's a fucking tough mother fucker man. His life is like some crazy movie.

I don't see a reunion happening. Slash is writing an album with myles. they're happy together and I think it will be killer. DJ and Axl seem to be developing a similar bond...and I'm pretty excited to dream of what they could cook up too. I think in a post GNR world - this is what we can hope for - all members kicking ass at their individual things - and it's better than silence/retrirement/deaths which is the alternatives.

If he seems relieved...I think it's because the USA tour is going well...and if dudes like MSL are to be beleived...it's something that was in the works for some time.

Allso it's not to be discounted in my opinion - that it seems Axl's personality is to be happy and sad at times - that in one hand he holds a lot of love - and in the other a lot of anger - like guns and fucking roses....:mosh:

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Slash is writing an album with myles. they're happy together and I think it will be killer. DJ and Axl seem to be developing a similar bond...

That's a worthwhile observation.

Whatever I may or may not think of DJ, he and Axl do seem to have that rapport Axl's been looking for eversince Slash.

I always thought Axl seemed a bit distant to Robin and Bucket, and while he and Robin grew closer on stage through time, they never had that certain sense of camaraderie in their performance which fueled the original lineup. DJ appears a very different kind of person than Robin or Bucket, and Axl does seem to mesh with him better. I'm talking interaction as how it presented itself across tours, not musical ability, btw.

Funny to notice that when Axl finally seems to have "Mr Right" as a Slash replacement (we might as well stop kidding ourselves, that's the part the man wants fulfilled), Slash now seems to have a vocalist he can depend on and form a lasting bond with. Talk about a balance of terror - if Axl and Slash ever again share a stage, they both have someone to fall back on.

Can either newcomer elevate his counterpart to the mythical heights of the old band? Time will tell, on the other hand, a reunion would have that same baggage, and then some.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

DJ is also an Indiana boy ... maybe Axl's got his "Izzy" back?

johndivney wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Can either newcomer elevate his counterpart to the mythical heights of the old band?

no.
i don't need time to tell me this.
the present is enough evidence. myles has nothing of interest to say or create.
axl, also, is washed up creatively.

dj has the easier job of him & myles. dj could get by translating axl's epic's to guitar. but slash relying on myles to write something as immediate or everlasting as what axl did, no fucking chance.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer