You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

monkeychow wrote:
madagas wrote:

I still don't buy everything he says....the uyi tour was "unauthorized" by him?

Makes sense to me.....label would have pressured for a tour to support the UYI release....hell it's standard practise to do so anyway....so if you are GNR's manager and they're putting out a new album - what would you do - the obvious thing any good manager would do would be to set up a tour - meanwhile Slash and the rest of the band were always up to gig - so he probably had no idea that Axl would have any problem with touring at first - he was just doing his job I'd guess. And when you're dealing with people like Slash and Duff in 1991 - it's probably easier to do the business side for them then tell them the plan - i mean they're out doing drugs and drinking...not pouring over the tour map with you.

Then once it's set up.....no one wants to back out of agreements...plus not doing that tour would have fucked with the brand...more label pressure etc...label would expect a tour pretty much....so then they start with the pressure on Axl - by saying slash will die from drugs if he doesn't tour (probably true at the time as well)...and so Axl found himself backed into a corner for something he wouldn't have chosen to have done had he been his own manager....

It's not really that uncommon, lots of bands get pushed into doing things by the promotional machine of the label, interviews, gigs etc...they just start driving your career for you....and why not...it's what makes people famous and everyone rich...many artists are a bit grumpy about it...but they usually do what they're told in the end....so i'd say the fault would be mixed...partly the manager for not discussing the long term plan more upfront and partly Axl for not expecting them to push a tour around that release.

Unauthorised is a strange choice of word - but I guess compared to now that's how it feels. These days Axl has full control of the brand and all decisions (i assume) and therefore something like the UYI tour would only go down with his explicit authorisation these days. It's one thing that's noticable about GNR - axl has got himself into a situation where he can control his own life (for better or worse).

So I don't really see what's that odd about it. He didn't really want to tour...it got set up for them...then he couldn't really get out of it.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

My understanding is that was during the time Alan Niven was trying get David Geffen to renegotiate GNR's contract with Geffen. David Geffen refused.

Niven basically told Geffen to fuck himself then and that he won't get the albums and they will go on tour instead and make money. Bare in mind this is also during the time that David Geffen is trying to sell his company too. He wanted those records out and selling because that increased the sale price.

Geffen refused to budge thinking they couldn't tour without an album, so Niven booked the  first part of that tour and the tickets started selling like hotcakes. Geffen saw what was happening and finally relented to renogitating. That's why they had started touring before the album was finished.

Perhaps Axl is grumbling about that? Fuck knows why as it basically meant massively more dollars for him and financial security.  But don't let the details get in the way of a good story....

Oh yeah Axl then sacked Niven after he got Geffen to renegotiate. Nice!

That comment about Ax being responsible for Slash if he dies sounds like a Goldstein comment.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think we know why Axl avoided interviews for so long...he's got what Duff calls 'his truth'. I just don't think he felt like being challenged about it for a very long time.

Maybe...JUST MAYBE its all been sorted between him Slash and the old crew, apologies have been issued and accepted so he does not feel the pressure to justify himself to the media knowing his old band are watching. I don't think the old guys want to reform anyway and once Axl realised that he's finally relaxed, the war seems near if not fully over but only very recently.

Maybe indeed he is at peace (in as much as Axl Rose will ever know that state of mind) and he will just tell his side of things and fuck it if people don't believe him..

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ Yeah maybe Axl is finally getting to the place Slash and Duff got to quite a while ago.  Broadly speaking they don't really seem to care about all the shit and who said what, they also aren't hanging out for a reunion.  Sure if it was offered on the right terms they would probably do it.  But they each have their own careers and directions now so they aren't hanging out for Axl. 

Seems like Axl might be in that place FINALLY too where he can just focus on what he is doing and ignore the other guys, or not look at it like a fight or a competition.  Just enjoy his version of GNR and what he is doing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I can believe the 91 tour thing as well as the 2002 tour thing, seeing that seems to be the way people manage Axl, by just springing stuff on him to get a full on commitment from him. It was probably something passed on from Goldstein to Beta, to Merck to this guy Paul. I don't think its anything like they're horrible people, but probably doing what they think is best for Axl.

Not touring in 91 would have been a disaster on a financial scale, and is probably what's made Axl, Slash and Duff most of their fortune, tbh.

And if he's being repped by The Firm that is HUGE news. Very big outfit with some muscle.

Axl Rose on new album wrote:

'I'd love to at some point, we'll see.

Jesus... Everyone else in the band is stoked about it. How long can he continue to pimp this album? Its already nearly 4 years old and they started touring it 6 years before that.

It is funny he didn't know what we meant by "release it already." What does that mean? You spend 6 years recording the damn album then another 4 years tinkering with it. That's what it means.

I know, now that pisses me off. I hate to focus on it when the man is talking, but NEW MUSIC IS THE ONLY REASON FOR THIS BAND TO EXIST.

PERIOD

Sitting there with a fucking VAULT of music, not to mention a whole band with tons of chemistry aching to record a new album, and all he's got is "I'd love it. We'll see"

All that means is, nothing is on the horizon right now, and he keeps wanting to push Chinese.

It's pushed goddamit. IT'S PUSHED. You've been pushing it since 2001. The fans liked it. The critics liked it. It's DONE. Move on, something new.

Honest to God, I don't think it's that big of a request for an album that's been toured for a decade.

Axl CANNOT sell his personal wish of "this is a band", which he claims in the interview apparently, yet all they play are covers on top of covers.

And i'm not blaming the band at all. They so desperately want to record their own shit. Make their own mark. I can FEEL it from them.

Come on Axl. You've got a good thing going here. You're nearly 50. Many of us have been your fans for years.

Don't waste our mother fuckin' time man. Get serious.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
madagas wrote:

My petty gripes...

I don't think it's petty.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

What time is this interview on

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
gibbo wrote:

What time is this interview on

Eddie Trunk
Just to be clear folks, tonight's @axlrose @gunsnroses show is on VH1 CLASSIC, not VH1. Totally different channel. 11PM/10C, hope you enjoy
4 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by @gunsnroses

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Im gonna miss it. My friends band is playing a gig and I wrote half their songs so I kinda gotta be there. I hope they repaly it all weekend.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'm sure it will be up on youtube in 3 shakes of a lambs tail

Board footer