You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

Bono wrote:

I found the interview boring.

Things I disliked:
- Axl's lame ass answer about the late starts. He opperates from a victim standpoint. Always has and always will. I mean "everything always seems to go wrong the day fo teh shwos" Please. BLAME BLAME BLAME
- Axl's lame answer regarding new music
- Axl's BS reason as to why there's no music video from CD yet.

Things I liked:
- Axl actually did the interview
- Axl seeemd like a nice guy and came off quite well in my opinion
- The proshot footage looked pretty awesome.

Things I question:
-I honestly wonder if these guys were on the level and if they were asked not to ask any real hard hitting questions or were asked to refrain from digging too much.  I mean seriously you get Axl Rose in a an interview and nothing of any real substance is asked and if it was nothing was followed up on?  Axl mentions an incident in Abu Dhabi and the guys conducting the interview can't wait to move past that so they can ask Axl what his favorite bands are? Gimme a break.

the absolute best guy to do such an interview would be Geroge Strombolopolous. He isn't afraid to ask real questions and he let's people answer. Plus he's probably the most knowledgeable music guy there is.

Plus he has a three part interview with Bono which is awesome but I won't bore you with that.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

As someone previously stated, I feel these guys know VERY little about GNR and didnt' really have the same interest in the things we did. They seemed too eager to kiss his ass and to try and please him than doing their fucking job.

I think this is true.  I actually think Jim Florentine is the biggest GNR fan of the 3.  He's actually never had a bad word to say about the band, past or present and has praised Chinese Democracy.  So I would say he IS a fan.  But Don Jamieson has been critical of CD and Axl on previous episodes of TMS.  And even though Eddie is good friends with Bumble, until recently, he has not really been a big believer in the current lineup.  He also wasn't a fan of CD, in fact he wasn't even a fan of the UYI's, said those were too bloated and he preferred the Snakepit albums over them.  So I think Jim was actually the most knowledgeable and prepared of the 3.  And Don and Eddie kissed Axl's ass and were all nicey nice with him, which I can totally understand.  You have a guy who NEVER does interviews, grant you one, the last thing you want to do is come right at him and push him out of the studio.  That just wouldn't be smart.  Howard Stern is the greatest interviewer in the world, IMO, and he can say some pretty bad things about people behind their backs.  But if they come in the studio, he appreciates them doing so and treats them with respect.  Makes sense to me.

I loved seeing the interview.  Obviously there was nothing groundbreaking and it won't go down in history as one of the greatest interviews ever, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.  I loved the production behind it too, they made it out to be a big deal, which it was.  Obviously we were left wanting more, the GNR nerds that we are.  But I highly doubt a Megadeth fan who watched the interview last night is steaming at why they didn't ask a follow up question about Abu Dhabi.

Just my 2 cents, and I hope we get to see some extra footage somewhere down the line.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Howard Stern would've asked if he would take stage with Slash. U can count on that.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Howard Stern would've asked if he would take stage with Slash. U can count on that.

Absolutely, which is why Axl (and MANY others) will never go on Howard Stern.  I don't think Howard has ever shied away from asking the tough questions.  Amy Fisher was in one day and didn't want to talk about Mary Joe Buttafuocco.  Mary Joe's daughter called in and Howard asked Amy if she'd talk to her.  She said she didn't want to but Howard patched her through anyway and Amy got pissed and walked out.  It had to be the shortest interview in history.  Obviously it's a little different dealing with Axl Rose as opposed to someone who shot a woman in the face, I do think Howard would have more respect towards Axl.  He is so good at interviewing he would butter up Axl enough and slide in questions about Slash that he normally wouldn't want to answer.  But, like I said, it'll never happen.

Howard made some anti-Axl comments last week saying he saw a clip of him and he looks and sounds horrible.  Kind of pissed me off.  Howard of all people should know you can't judge a person on ONE video or picture you might see.  People unfairly judge Howard all the time and he was doing the same exact thing to Axl.  I'm sure someone sent him a link to one of his bad moments at Rio and he just accepted that as the norm.  I tweeted him a kick ass version of PC from one of the recent shows and told him how unfair it was of him to make such a judgement.  Of course, I never heard back.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Trunk has tweeted a few times that there's "A LOT more footage" and he wants to find a way to air it. Maybe they'll work up a second show with more info.

Absolutely. Anybody that saw that interview and knows editing, knows that VH1 ripped the fuckin' guts out of it.

It was heavily edited, and I hope to God there's more footage in the cutting room floor, including the "every single member of the band got interviewed". Yet Eddie later states, "DJ & Bumble". So who knows.

Either way Eddie brought it on himself. He WAY OVERSOLD that interview on Twitter and in the press before it aired and then lays an egg Friday night.

If Axl's camp asked Eddie not to ask about Slash and/or a reunion... I would've agreed, then did it anyway. I would've just been HONEST with Axl, which NO ONE seems to do, except Steven Adler. That guy doesn't hesitate to go right after him, but in a diplomatic way. Gotta hand it to Popcorn.

I basically would've just said, "well Axl you know with the RNRHOF, it's premature to talk about GNR's induction, and I know you don't like to talk about reunions with the original lineup, because you have a fantastic group of guys and a true band today, that's Guns N' Roses through and through. But if GN'R did get inducted in the RNRHOF, what would you do and not do? Would you not want to be on a stage with Slash? Would you speak with Slash, but not perform? Would you perform with the original guys? I know you're cool with everyone except Slash. Or do you just not want to answer that question? And it's cool, I just felt that the fans out there of GNR's history from past to present, would want to know, so I feel that I would be doing a disservice to them NOT asking that question. So what you do you think about that? I know you've got to have some bittersweet, passionate feelings on that subject."

BOOM, brilliant, intelligent question, yet totally gives Axl all the respect and power. And you know what? I think Axl would've LEAPED on that question, and wouldn't have stopped talking about it for 10 minutes.

That's the kind of mood Axl was in the other night.

And Eddie PUSSED OUT.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

What I was disappointed in, which may or may not be completely Axl's fault, was the lack of interaction with DJ. I mean, the guy is asked to attend the interview, apparently because Axl feels this is a band effort rather than just him and DJ is visible enough in the mainstream media to become his second in public. That's a good idea, and takes nothing away from Axl, but rather, makes DJ more likable, as people would grow to identify him as the current lead guitarist.

In the interview, Axl and the interviewers are just not giving DJ that space. It could be partially because of the way the thing was edited, but I just can't see DJ jumping into the discussion mid-sentence, because Axl's still his boss, and has that tendency to throw an occasional hissy fit when someone else makes the wrong move. So I can see him sidelining a bit deliberately.

I think some of the stuff with the current band would've been far more interesting had Axl been allowed to chat with DJ about the stuff they'd experienced recently and how they saw the new music in relation to the current lineup.

Still.

Cool ProShot footage and the band won big on visibility on this one. Standard PR fodder, but it was nice to see Axl do it.

Lomax wrote:

Ahhhh DJ can't win. If he did jump in we'd murder him for trying to sell us toilet seats.

It was a fine line to try and walk and Im guessing at 6 in the morning after running around a stage for three hours it's a lot safer to just not walk it at all.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I meant DJ should've been allowed to be in the conversation, because he was obviously just waiting to be acknowledged, but also savvy enough to keep his cool.

If that's to lessen DJ in the matter, whatever.

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

the absolute best guy for the interview would've been Jeremy Paxman.

ok, he's more of a news/political interviewer, but still a legend in the UK.
He would've chewed Axls ass off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCo7qbzEX3c

johndivney wrote:

lol @ paxo interviewing axl
axl'd storm off inside a minute

Board footer