You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The MLB Thread

faldor wrote:

Cameron, another one of Theo's AWFUL signings over the last few years with the Sox.  He left that team at the right time.  As talented as they still are, they're in a bit of a mess financially, hence why they weren't able to spend much money this off-season.  So much money tied into such a small portion of the roster.  Which wouldn't be too bad, if all those high paid players were earning their paycheck.  But that hasn't been the case. 

Maybe that's part of the reason Theo didn't spend wildly with the Cubs this year.  Learning from his mistakes.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nah. Ricketts won't come out and admit it, but he's trying to scale back on the Cubs payroll.

With consistent sell outs, regardless of performance, I think Ricketts wants the payroll closer to the $100 millon mark or under preferrably.

I think if any lesson Theo learned in Boston it was don't trust in veterans for a "win now" philosophy. I think Theo still doesn't mind spending money, even if it's a risk, I just think he'd rather spend it on potential can't miss youth prospects. But look at Cespedes... Theo still wasn't willing to outbid Billy Beane.

As for Theo in Chicago... Jesus Christ, you'd think Christ himself was running the team. The BLIND religion-like following Cubs fans have for Epstein right now is sickening. Theo can do no wrong. Yet they forget the bad contracts he left Boston with, and the fact the Red Sox haven't been to the playoffs in two seasons.

It ain't like Theo = wins.

And with the Cub team they're gonna have, wins are gonna be hard to come by. I still don't understand not hiring Sandberg at this point, if just to put butts in the seats.

Even Theo diehards have NO expectations for the 2012 Cubs. The best players on the entire team is probably Marlon Byrd, Matt Garza, Kerry Wood & Starlin Castro.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Theo was very strong drafting players and making bold trades.  His only downfall was his many FA misses.  Unfortunately, those are the most costly.  He definitely deserves some credit for getting the Sox to the top.  He just had some trouble keeping them there.  I think he'll build the Cubs up into a competitor in due time.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but imo it should be rather quickly.

That NL Central is weak as living shit, despite having last year's World Series champ in it.

This ain't the AL East. This is alot easier.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's Official. Mannywood is back in business.

Manny Ramirez returns with minor league / spring invite deal with A's
by Jane Lee / MLB.com

021812_Manny_Ramirez_480_ngls66d1_yvabyc0o.jpg

PHOENIX -- This isn't another story of Manny being Manny -- at least not yet.

For now, it's just about Billy Beane being Billy Beane.

The A's general manager has a well-documented history of making bold moves -- some brilliant, others bewildering and occasionally brash. Perhaps a new word will have to be created for his most recent transaction, which was finalized on Monday, when the A's announced the signing of embattled slugger Manny Ramirez to a Minor League deal.

MLB.com confirmed that the 19-year veteran will earn no more than $500,000 -- just over the league minimum, as expected -- and will report to camp by week's end.

Ramirez will be utilized by the A's as a designated hitter, but not before serving a 50-game suspension stemming from his second violation of MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, meaning he won't be paid or allowed to participate in a game until as early as May 30 -- his 40th birthday.

In the meantime, Ramirez's new teammates are anticipating help in ways not just seen at the plate.

"From an organization standpoint, you always want to put your team in the best position to win," A's pitcher Dallas Braden said. "If right now that means bringing in somebody who could potentially help the molding of the organization and its young stars, you want to do that as well, and I think that's what he offers. It's almost two birds with one stone. We can bring in a guy who can still perform and a guy who can show these guys how to go about their business at a perennial All-Star level.

"It's something we need here. While we've had tremendous leaders in the past, they've been more of the lead-by-example types, like Mark Ellis."

Ramirez's reputation -- along with the pair of drug violations, he was also formally charged with domestic violence last year -- understandably led to little interest from other clubs. But the A's never shied away, and his signing equates to the ultimate no-risk investment.

If at any time Ramirez acts up or fails to give the A's the type of performance they're expecting from a right-handed power bat, the club can simply release him. If, instead, he resurrects his reputation and career -- even perhaps restoring enough value to lend the A's trade bait near the non-waiver Trade Deadline -- all the better.

Oakland enters camp without a proven bat in the middle of the order and is coming off a season in which it ranked 12th in the American League in runs. Much is expected of Yoenis Cespedes, whose four-year, $36 million deal with the A's should become official soon, but it's worth remembering that the Cuban defector has never faced Major League pitching.

Then there are Seth Smith, Coco Crisp and Jonny Gomes, who, though capable of bringing in runs, don't combine for the power residing in the lineups of AL West rivals Texas and Los Angeles.

Ramirez doesn't represent a quick fix, but he carries an impressive resume. Through 19 seasons, the 12-time All-Star is a career .312 hitter with 555 home runs -- good for 14th on the all-time list -- and 1,831 RBIs.

"He's one of the greatest right-handed hitters I've seen in my lifetime, and I hope he's got a lot left in the tank," Jemile Weeks said. "He's had some time off, and whether that helps or hurts, we hope it's a positive thing. I just think the addition of him can help out, no matter the upside on the field."

Ramirez most recently went 1-for-17 in five games last season for Tampa Bay before retiring rather than serving a 100-game suspension that was ultimately cut in half.

A first-round Draft pick of the Indians in 1991, Ramirez spent the first eight years of his Major League career with Cleveland before signing a free-agent deal with Boston, where he played for seven-plus seasons. He also spent time with the Dodgers and White Sox before his short stint with the Rays.

It was during Ramirez's time with the Dodgers that A's first baseman Brandon Allen, then with Arizona, encountered the slugger a handful of times on the basepaths.

"From talking to him a few times at first base, you can tell he's obviously a funny guy," Allen said. "He's a genuine guy also. He's down to earth, just as normal as anybody else. He's a great player and hopefully a great teammate. I believe age is nothing but a number. If you can hit, you can hit, and he was born to hit."

"Right now is a fun and exciting time to be in our organization, because moves like this are being made," Braden said. "We're retooling and reshaping the foundation of the organization. Any time you can bring somebody like that in, with the resume he has in tow, it's going to impact the younger guys."

Perhaps, even, in more ways than expected. With Ramirez on board, concerns could be raised about the possibility of younger hitters not getting as much of a look during Spring Training -- particularly those fighting for the DH spot that Ramirez won't immediately be allowed to occupy.

Thus arises a challenge for manager Bob Melvin, who will be faced with a juggling act of sorts with several contenders for the DH, first-base and outfield spots. Kila Ka'aihue was expected to get a long look at DH, and Chris Carter remains in the mix as well. Moreover, Daric Barton has no choice but to DH until mid-March, when his surgically repaired right shoulder is supposed to be ready for throwing again.

Nevertheless, Ramirez's looming presence puts to rest any speculation surrounding the A's interest in bringing back Hideki Matsui or signing Magglio Ordonez or Johnny Damon. However, the club remains open to bolstering its bullpen in the next week and has been linked to Texas' Koji Uehara, along with free-agent lefty Mike Gonzalez.

"Nothing surprises me anymore," Weeks said. "I like what we're doing. Manny is a clubhouse guy, and I think, for this type of team, a lot of people aren't expecting much out of us and guys might put too much pressure on themselves to try to perform. He's going to be the one keeping us relaxed and a guy who's going to put fans in the seat, along with it."

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Man the Oakland A's fans are flipping the ever lucking fuck out about this. Calling it the worst signing in team history, Billy Beane has lost his mind, and saying it would've been better to bring Barry Bonds back to the bay.

WOW

They primarily think Manny and his attitude will be a detriment to the young hitters in Oakland now, and that Manny won't contribute much.

I still don't understand AT ALL that if the A's were looking for an additional bat for DH, why not just sign Vladimir Guerrero?

Less headache, more team-oriented, and Guerrero is gonna put up about the same numbers. Maybe it came down to price and the fact that Guerrero would've cost a few million, and Beane got Manny for a league minimum/Sammy Sosa 2007-Rangers type deal. Beane's hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Manny.

I personally think post the initial 50-game suspension, that Manny will at his best at this point, be a .280, 13-17 HR, .350-360 OBP-type hitter. Nothing fancy.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

The Oakland A's are definitely not contenders this year, and they obviously are aware of that. The reason behind bringing in Manny is for trade bait for a contending team come the end of July. If he can provide power to the A's until July, the Athletics could stack up their farm system even more if they trade him

faldor

faldor wrote:

I don't think they're expecting a lot from Manny with the suspension.  It's an extremely low risk situation.  The contract isn't guaranteed from what I understand, so if he acts up they'll just cut him loose.  Regardless, they're getting him on the cheap.  If he gives them ANYTHING, it's a good deal for them.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Time for a thread bump since the season has finally started.

General impressions (that probably don't mean much) after a week of games:

Tigers will win the Central in a cakewalk.  Will the White Sox win enough games for Kenny Williams to avoid being canned after the year?  This was mentioned a few pages ago but his roster construction of the White Sox is brutal.

AL East--murderer's row division.  Rays, Yankess, Blue Jays, and Sox all look like contenders.  Sox still in hangover mode though.  Actually the new playoff format will probably help these teams.

AL West--Mariners offense looks better than expected.  Cespedes looks like Sosa with Cubs in the early to mid 90s.  Rangers look like a playoff lock to me.

NL West--Padres look like one of the worst teams in baseball.  I don't think the Dodgers have enough offense to win the division.  Lincecum's velocity is down and he's gotten shelled the past two starts.  This is Arizona's division to lose.

NL Central--Three team race with Cards, Brewers and Reds.  Bottom half is brutal with the rebuilding Cubs, offensively challenged Pirates and another rebuilding team in the Astros.  Pirates are the most boring team in the league to watch.

NL East--Nats have a chance at this.  The Phillies are very suspect on offense and need Howard to come back pronto.  I've given up on Utley with his bad knees.  The Marlins, who really knows?  All I can say is that I didn't expect Ozzie to put his foot in his mouth so early in the season.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I let the thread die, because I just got busy and disillusioned with GN'R, and was like "fuck it".

AL Central: I agree the Tigers will decimate the rest of the division. That is one of the most offensive stacked teams i've seen in years. If they can't win with that lineup and Verlander leading the charge in the rotation, Leyland needs to hang himself. This is another '97 Marlins situation. The rest of the division is boring, and a non-threat. I won't speculate on Kenny Williams getting fired, because I thought it would've happened two years ago, and especially last year after the Adam Dunn disaster. If he's not gone this year, he must be blowing Jerry Reinsdorf. If Reinsdorf smells power shift, look for lots of trades to happen come the middle of the season.

AL East: I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. Best division in baseball this year. A full-on four-team race, and with the 2-team wild card now, this just might be an example of why MLB expanded the wild card. Jays, Rays, Yanks & Sox all look good, although the Sox have been scuffling, but they're still solid built. It really is anyone's division, and I LOVE those new Jays uniforms. I might just get one of the blue alternates and a hat or something. I LOVE that color blue. Looks like cobalt.

AL West: Mariners always seem to get off the line quick, but they'll fade and fast. A's might be better than normal, but nothing more than sub-.500. Cespedes looks alot like mid-90's Sosa, if not earlier. Lots of talent, but despite massive Juan Gonzalez line-drive power, pitchers are starting to figure out the holes in his swing, and he's gonna have to learn and adjust before, like Sosa, he's hitting .240 each year during that mid-90's period. It's gonna be the Rangers & Angels in this all the way, but the Angels might be better suited hunting for the wild card instead. With Nolan Ryan in charge, the Texas Rangers look to be "the new Atlanta Braves". Look for a near dynasty domination of the west for years to come, whether division titles or pennants.

NL West: Pads are dreadful like expected. Dodgers have buggy issues, and I still have an eerie feeling of "firesell" in my gut with them. Rockies might flirt as a spoiler, but are the "Indians" of the NL West. The Giants are underwhelming, and could make a run, but they are NOT the 2010 Giants. Once again, Kirk Gibson and his D'Backs should look to glide to a division win, but not more than a better than average finish.

NL Central: The Cinncinnati Reds to lose imo. Cardinals are weaker, regardless of current performance, as are the Brewers. These are not the teams of the last few years. Reds are built to be damn good, although Dusty Baker has ran great teams into the ground before (wink wink, 2004 Cubs). Pirates are looking to be a fluke in the first half last year, and I can't see them spending alot of money, nor holding on to McCutchen too much longer. Cubs might flirt around 4th place, but more than likely will be a 90+ loss team easily. Look for the Cubbies to try to move Soriano, Dempster, Wood, and whoever else they can possibly exchange for prospects come mid-season. Astros are a complete after-thought. Consistently one of the worst teams in baseball.

NL East: I called the Washington "Exponals" at the beginning of the season and i'm standing by it. If just for Gary Carter's memory alone, hopefully they've got something. I personally think the Phillies are starting to show wear and tear, especially without Howard & Utley, and if ANY other team wanted to de-throne the Phils, THIS IS THE YEAR. Nationals look to be the only ones to do it, and I LIKE that team for the first time, and a long time if you count the Montreal Expos years. The Braves just ain't there, and are a shadow of their Cox dynasty days, regardless of what some diehards think about that being their division still. Marlins are overrated, and I thought that from the very beginning. Hanley Ramirez is turning into Edgar Renteria, and Stanton is their only real offensive threat. A top-line ace in Johnson and a closer in Bell doesn't hurt, but it leaves Miami simply at spoiler status. With Loria's interest in winning, HE MIGHT be willing to spend and throw players around for trades come mid-season if Guillen can keep them in the hunt come July. THEN we might be talking Miami baseball, but we'll see. It all depends on how well Reyes & Ramirez do. Mets are baseball's black hole, like expected. Get out while you can, and I HIGHLY suggest all Mets fans to trade their swag in for Yankee gear NOW! There is a BLEAK future in Queens.

Board footer