You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The MLB Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Angels' Albert Pujols slump is one of the most expensive in MLB history
by Fox Sports Latino

Dodgers%20Angels%20Spring_Plan.JPG

Cleveland –   April ends Monday. Nearly one full month of baseball has gone by. Albert Pujols is still looking for his first home run.

"I don't try to hit home runs," the Angels first baseman told FOX Sports at Cleveland's Progressive Field. "I know I can hit home runs. Whenever they come, they're going to come. I'm trying to have good, quality at-bats.

"I'll leave you guys [to] play the little game about how many at-bats I have without hitting a home run. It's part of the game. I don't care about that.

"It's a long season. At the end, my numbers are going to be there and nobody's going to talk about what happened in April."

Pujols is partially right. If his numbers are there at the end of the season then there will be no fixation on his historically poor April.

But it's becoming harder and harder to dismiss his career-long season-opening homer drought as a statistical anomaly, because of two concurrent trends: Pujols is not driving in runs -- he has four RBIs and a meager .295 slugging percentage; and the Angels are not winning games -- they are 7-15, last in the American League West.

It will surprise no one if Pujols silences critics with a breathtaking power display, as he did with three home runs in Game 3 of last year's World Series. Derek Jeter and David Ortiz, starring for their respective teams, had their career obituaries written in prior Aprils. Yet, there is nothing in Pujols' current performance to suggest such a breakthrough is imminent.

Days removed from the longest hitless stretch of his career -- 21 at-bats -- the $240 million slugger remains mired in one of the most expensive slumps (dollars per out) in baseball history.

He went 0-for-4 in Sunday's 4-0 loss to the Cleveland Indians and the reality is his at-bats are getting worse.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia pointed out that Pujols had a "real slow start" in St. Louis last season. But not this slow. On May 23 last year, the day his previous career-long homer drought ended, his batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage were .268, .340 and .421, respectively.

After Sunday, the same numbers were .216, .295 and .266.

Pujols insisted he feels no more pressure in 2012 than he did in 2011, but there is no denying that his life and career are profoundly different than they were six months ago, when he celebrated the second world championship in 11 seasons with the Cardinals.

For one thing, Scioscia is the first man other than Tony La Russa to manage Pujols in the major leagues. La Russa has retired as a manager and works for the commissioner’s office now, but Pujols said the two speak frequently. “I talk to Tony all the time,” Pujols said. “He’s like a father to me. That relationship we have is more important than the accomplishments we have in the game together. We talk every three, four days. He calls or sends me a text.”

Personally, Pujols has spent more time apart from his family than usual. St. Louis has been his year-round home for several years, and his children are still in school there. Pujols said he and his wife, Deidre, haven’t decided yet whether their kids will attend school in Missouri or California after this year. Pujols has yet to purchase a home in California.

Pujols acknowledged that the change in his family’s routine has been difficult at times. “They’re getting used to it,” he said. “They’re traveling. I’ve got my kids here (on the Cleveland trip). I get to see my family every two weeks. It is tough, but this is the business. That’s the way it goes.”

As I spoke with Pujols, I began to wonder if he’s missing aspects of playing for the Cardinals. When I asked if that is the case, he said, “You know what? I’ve moved on past that. I don’t think that’s a question I even want to answer. I’m in Anaheim. My focus is to try to do whatever it takes to help this organization win.”

One aspect of Pujols’ comfort in St. Louis was his familiarity with the NL itself. While movement of players between the leagues is more common than ever, Pujols had the advantage of playing against many of the same teams, with many of the same pitching staffs, in many of the same ballparks, for more than a decade. Now, suddenly, so much is new.

Angels reliever Jason Isringhausen, who played with Pujols in St. Louis from 2002 through 2008, said he has noticed pitchers attacking Pujols down and in this season. “I know he wants to do better than what he’s doing,” Isringhausen said. “Sometimes, I think Albert presses a little too much. But that’s him. He’s going to be in the cage for hours and hours, working on it. He’s going to pop out of it. I know how much this means to him. He’s one of the best at making adjustments. I don’t worry about him. He’s going to be OK.”

Do the Angels or Rangers have the upper hand in the AL West chase?

Scioscia noted over the weekend that Pujols has at times seemed “passive” in his approach. The numbers bear that out. Last year, Pujols put the first pitch in play roughly 9.7 percent of the time. This season, the figure has dropped to 5.7 percent. Pujols wasn’t aggressive Sunday, even with a starter (Derek Lowe) against whom he had excellent prior career numbers (10-for-28, .357). He took the first pitch in all four of his plate appearances during the defeat.

On one level, Pujols’ pitch-taking makes sense: He wants to size up the repertoire of unfamiliar opponents. But the strategy has backfired. Pujols is seeing an abundance of 0-1 counts. Later in at-bats, he’s been chasing pitches outside the strike zone. Pujols, one of history’s finest sluggers, is exhibiting the telltale symptoms of a lost hitter: He’s taking the strikes and swinging at balls.

Statistically, this is one of the most shocking power outages in baseball history. Since 1974, only five men began a season with 400 or more career home runs and then failed to homer in their first 80 at-bats. According to STATS LLC, they are: Willie McCovey (1974), Carl Yastrzemski (1981), Eddie Murray (1996), Ken Griffey Jr. (2010) and Pujols (2012).

Of that esteemed group, not one averaged more than 16 home runs per season for the remainder of their careers. Griffey, then 40, retired that year without hitting a homer. In a possible Pujols parallel, the ’74 season was McCovey’s first as a Padre after the Giants dealt him to San Diego. He went on to hit 108 home runs over the next seven seasons.

Pujols says he’s confident we won’t be talking about this in October. His tone during Saturday’s interview was at times defiant and perturbed, but generally matter-of-fact. Outwardly, at least, he’s not rattled.

“I don’t see him panicking, so why should we?” said veteran reliever LaTroy Hawkins, as he prepared to work out in his team-issued apparel before Saturday’s game. “But if it’s this time next month and we’re still playing like this? Then the panic button will be the size of your head and the color of my shorts.”

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports … z1tavc2Qdk

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Meanwhile the Miami Marlins ironically cannot BUY runs. Pitching has been okay (see Anibal Sanchez), but at the same time they just cannot score runs.

So in an ironic twist, had the Marlins waived the no no trade clause policy and had Pujols signed with Miami or even Prince Fielder (who's only on pace to hit 18 HR on the season right now)... not much would be different either way. 16

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

I'm just hoping Albert doesn't hit his 1st Homer off the Twins

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

With the way the Twins have been playing

"Wise man say... yes, very much, chance likely"

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Red Sox suck!  They will finish last in the AL East unless something drastic happens.  I know it's early, but they don't give me any indication that they can turn this season around.

Axlin, I saw some proposed deals today from media types between the Cubs and Sox.  Youkilis for Dempster was mentioned, but the thinking was that the Cubs would want more. 

How about Youkilis and Buchholz for Garza?  Clay has been AWFUL so far this year.  He's still young, and he was great for ONE season, 2 years ago.  His contract is manageable.  It might be too early to give up on him, but would that be an attractive package?  I'd almost say the Cubs would have to give a little more in that scenario.  Or you could substitute Beckett for Clay.  He's pitched much better this year, but obviously is more towards the end of the line.  We got a deal?

People were saying after last September that the Sox had to shake things up.  I disagreed, and thought they could contend bringing back the same group that had the best record in baseball into July last year.  Apparently I was wrong, and they need to disassemble as quick as they can.  This team is tough to watch right now.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Orioles will not play 5 more months of the level of baseball theyve been playing

Red Sox will get better, but are in the best division in baseball so winning it is unlikely IMO

Twins just SUCK. I absolutely HATE being a Minnesota sports fan right now. We've have hit rock bottom.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah sorry Bro, the Twins are just pitiful. Worst team in baseball without a doubt, and it won't get better. They'll finally make the Royals look good again.

faldor wrote:

Red Sox suck!  They will finish last in the AL East unless something drastic happens.  I know it's early, but they don't give me any indication that they can turn this season around.

Axlin, I saw some proposed deals today from media types between the Cubs and Sox.  Youkilis for Dempster was mentioned, but the thinking was that the Cubs would want more. 

How about Youkilis and Buchholz for Garza?  Clay has been AWFUL so far this year.  He's still young, and he was great for ONE season, 2 years ago.  His contract is manageable.  It might be too early to give up on him, but would that be an attractive package?  I'd almost say the Cubs would have to give a little more in that scenario.  Or you could substitute Beckett for Clay.  He's pitched much better this year, but obviously is more towards the end of the line.  We got a deal?

People were saying after last September that the Sox had to shake things up.  I disagreed, and thought they could contend bringing back the same group that had the best record in baseball into July last year.  Apparently I was wrong, and they need to disassemble as quick as they can.  This team is tough to watch right now.

I still believe the Red Sox will rebound and the O's will fall. But the O's might be better this year than alot expected and still might flirt with that 2nd wild card spot. It just might end up being a four-team race in the AL East as I said before, but shockingly sub out the Red Sox for the Orioles.

Maybe

However the Red Sox being in the playoff hunt is probably out of the question. The team needs DRASTIC shake ups, and Bobby V ain't it. Bobby's doing the best he can with what he has. There's several clubhouse cancers on the team that need to be broken up, because they're just too buddy buddy, and also are older in long-term contracts and too comfortable. They're starting to phone it in, very reminiscent of the mid-2000's Yankees.

--------------------------------

As for the trade, here's the thing. The Cubs are in a DESPERATE NEED for a decent 3B. The only reason Ramirez was let go was because he wanted a multi-year deal, rather than 1-2 year deals here and there, and the Cubs just refused to pay him anything over $8 million at this point, and even that was a stretch. I have no clue what Youk makes, but I guarantee you if the Cubs are trying to acquire Youk for the future, it's to instantly become the starting 3B for years to come, not any other position he gets plugged in.

If Soriano had had a similar April to his March, I guarantee you more than likely he'd be apart of the trade, if just to add a bat to Boston and the Cubs pulling one of Theo's "you take our contract, we'll take yours".

At this point, Garza is FAR FAR more valuable than Demp. It really depends on what Boston is willing to send the Cubs. If the Cubs are taking Buchholz off their hands, honestly Buchholz has NO value dude. No way the Cubs send Garza to Boston for Youk & Clay. That's a horribly one-sided trade for Boston. Nice try. Youk is off to a rough start, and frankly isn't much better right now than Ian Stewart. Plus last season was weak. The only think Boston might have in it's favor is Youkilis will hold a bit more value, because over the next couple years the 3B depth in baseball is gonna be incredibly weak. The good ones are getting older (ARod, ARam). Hanley Ramirez is a future DH in the AL, Washington ain't letting Zim go, and David Wright really is the only piece out there frankly.

Dempster for Youkilis and Buchholz and maybe a PTBNL and cash sounds like a good deal for me. The Cubs look at Demp as 35, and the Red Sox NEED pitching, even if it's a rental. The Cubs NEED a 3B, but Youk ain't no different than Jeff Baker at this point, unless a change of scenary turns him back into his true self. Buchholz simply would be a "Chris Volstad" placeholder simply to fill Demp's slot in the rotation.

As for Garza, Theo knows Garza is his "big gun". He's not gonna just give him up, unless he truely thinks he's getting something in return. Whether it be multiple young pitchers ready for the rotation in a couple of years (think Friedman & the Rays), or it be a big outfield bat ready right now.

But something tells me Garza is being saved for more pitching prospects.

Back to the trade:

Dempster
for
Youkilis
Buchholz
PTBNL or cash

I'd do it. Because it makes more sense for both sides. The Cubs have the incentive to get a prospect out of it, a 3B, and a dead weight pitcher that the Red Sox want rid off badly that more than likely will be a middle reliever.

Boston get's a bonafide top-line pitcher in return, IF and only IF they plan to still make a run for it THIS YEAR. If Boston has no intention on competing at all this year, then there's literally no reason to do that trade.

Frankly, Boston could use BOTH Dempster & Garza. But they're gonna have to give up TONS to get them both. IF they could pull something like that off, Boston's rotation would instantly go back to being a force to be reckoned with in the AL East.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I also want to say that alot of people have been talking about the Cubs building up Bryan LaHair for him to be traded. Obviously right now everybody is fair game in the organization except for guys like Rizzo & Jackson. But I think the Cubs will let it ride on LaHair.

Right now I think ultimately with LaHair's great start, the Cubs are kinda pissed with Soriano that if Soriano would HIT A FUCKING HOME RUN for god sake that his value would rise a bit and they could move him.

Ultimately I think LaHair gets moved to LF, and Anthony Rizzo gets plugged in a 1B. And the Cubs will stick with that and see what the future holds for that lineup.

Def. Align:

LF-LaHair
CF-Brett Jackson
RF-platoon/situational (Campana/Johnson, DeJesus/Baker)
3B-Youkilis?
SS-Castro
2B-Barney
1B-Rizzo
C-someone new (last I heard, the Rays were interested in Soto)

That ain't bad at all if it pans out and the pitching staff can be rebuilt with youth, similar to the Rays.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Dempster for Youkilis and Buchholz and maybe a PTBNL and cash sounds like a good deal for me. The Cubs look at Demp as 35, and the Red Sox NEED pitching, even if it's a rental. The Cubs NEED a 3B, but Youk ain't no different than Jeff Baker at this point, unless a change of scenary turns him back into his true self. Buchholz simply would be a "Chris Volstad" placeholder simply to fill Demp's slot in the rotation.

As for Garza, Theo knows Garza is his "big gun". He's not gonna just give him up, unless he truely thinks he's getting something in return. Whether it be multiple young pitchers ready for the rotation in a couple of years (think Friedman & the Rays), or it be a big outfield bat ready right now.

But something tells me Garza is being saved for more pitching prospects.

I think you're selling Dempster short.  He'll probably get a top 10 prospect from some contending team.   If they really want Youkillis, they can sign him in FA after Boston declines his large 2013 option and he hits the market.  The other thing to watch is the Phillies, if they continue to tank they will trade Cole Hamels to whichever team ponies up the best prospect.

As for Garza, Cubs will definitely be shooting for the package that the Pads recieved for Latos or what Oakland got for Gio Gonzalez.  Detroit is in win now mode and has a young 3b in the minors (Nick Castellanos) and he's obvious not going to playing in front of Miguel Cabrera anytime soon.  That would be a logical trade partner. 

I guess maybe the Braves might be another trade partner.  Their starting pitching has been suspect.  They have some major league ready pitching prospects but I can't imagine them trading for Garza since they've been pretty cheap since they've been bought by Liberty Media.

Vlad Guerrero signed today with the Toronto Blue Jays.   He needs 410 more hits to hit the magical 3000 number.

Last Red Sox comment, Bobby V looks like he has aged ten years.  I saw a clip of him the other day and he looked ragged.

The Cubs are also fucked with Marmol's contract.  With teams like the Angels, Red Sox, Yankees (maybe) looking for bullpen help, his implosion could not have come at a worse time.  He is worthless at this point.  The best they can get is a bad contract or a failed prospect type.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

No shit. I ALWAYS thought Marmol was ENORMOUSLY overrated by the organization, in every form. Every team scout all the way down to the fan, had the kid pegged as "the next K-Rod, but during his Angels years".

I watched Marmol throw a wild pitch into the middle of a game, while he was WARMING UP IN THE BULLPEN, in Tampa during an interleague set with the Cubs.

The game is stopped. The ball is removed, and Marmol looks like a stooge, with laughs throughout the over 30,000 people in attendence (yeah, big crowd that night).

What does Piniella do? After seeing it... he still puts Marmol in. What does Marmol proceed to do with the Cubs 3-0 lead over the Rays? Marmol LOADS THE BASES (like always), with walks and wild pitches. And then lets Crawford take him for a grand slam. It just got worse from there. I finally got up and walked out and went home by the time the Rays had scored 8 runs in the same half inning.

The guy was always overrated. When he had gotten his value up by 2010 and they were falling fast with Piniella, I thought it was the PERFECT time to get rid of Marmol. Just dead weight. But of course Hendry was there, and that wasn't gonna happen.

I have always hated Marmol, and his over-hype. Now, like you said... he's utterly worthless. Zambrano was another one they waited far too long to move.

And as for Vlad... I like that. Vlad will be a good fit for Toronto. I was shocked they didn't pick him up before Spring Training. I like the move back to Canada. I hope he does very well for the Jays, i'd like to see them compete with the Rays this year for the division. I like that club, alot of young talent.

Board footer