You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The MLB Thread

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Barring an epic collapse by the Cards, looks like it's a 2006 WS Rematch with Tigers vs Cardinals.  Be rooting for the Tigers as previously mentioned.

Is this where offseason news goes too?  The Yankees got eliminated and Arod might be on the block.  They are also a really OLD team.  Most of their regulars are in their early to mid30s.  Even Robinson Cano is 30 (in three days) and there doesn't seem to be any position players that are MLB ready.  They might have to spend a lot maybe next offseason or just trade some of these stars to get younger position players.  The pitching is a diferent story with Nova and Hughes and Phelps under 30 and Sabbathia is only 32.

Hard to believe but the Red Sox might be better positioned for the future than the Yankess.  And I think very few would have said that after the big August dump trade.  And yes, I know the Yankees will probably sign a few players to fill some of the position player holes they will eventually have.

I'll be rooting for the Tigers too, for the main reason they haven't won in awhile and St. Louis just won last year.  And if San Fran. pulls off the combeback, they won a few years back as well.  It'd be nice to see Leyland win again.  He's a solid manager.  Pretty nice story too overall, as the Tigers underachieved pretty much all season until September.  Most people had them penciled in for over 100 wins, and it took them forever to overtake the White Sox.

Not to take anything away from the Cardinals.  They're quite the story too.  Going for back to back championships after losing (the)ir best player to free agency, and their long time manager.  Nearly losing Chris Carpenter for the season.  Beltran now being dinged up.  They just keep at it.

I think the Yankees HAVE to change their offensive philosophy.  They're way too dependent on the long ball and for years that hasn't worked in October except for one season in 2009.  But more often than not their offense has wilted against playoff pitching over the years.  And they have been getting older, obviously.  That seems to finally be catching up to them.  They do have pretty good pitching, which is a good starting block.  It'll be interesting to see if they do the "smart" thing and target more contact hitters instead of guys who hit .240 with 40 homers.  That has not proven successful.  Also guys like A-Rod and Swisher, who hit much better than .240 but for whatever reason can't hit in the playoffs. 

I don't know if I'd agree with the Red Sox being set up better for the future.  They have a LONG way to go on the pitching front.  They do have a few young arms (De La Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Renaudo), but they're probably not going to be much of a factor next season.  In a couple years, IF they pan out, then yes, they could be right back there.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Screw the Tigers, Go Cardinals!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Screw the Yankees!  Hard as a White Sox fan to root for the Tigers, but I was doing it.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Yankees and Tigers are my 2 most hated teams, but I was rooting for the Yanks

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not to take anything away from the Cardinals.  They're quite the story too.  Going for back to back championships after losing (the)ir best player to free agency, and their long time manager.  Nearly losing Chris Carpenter for the season.  Beltran now being dinged up.  They just keep at it.

They won it last year.  Tigers haven't won a World Series since 1984.  I worry about the bullpen though.  I'd prefer Valverde not get into any close games.  I have nothing against them though.

faldor wrote:

I think the Yankees HAVE to change their offensive philosophy.  They're way too dependent on the long ball and for years that hasn't worked in October except for one season in 2009.  But more often than not their offense has wilted against playoff pitching over the years.  And they have been getting older, obviously.  That seems to finally be catching up to them.  They do have pretty good pitching, which is a good starting block.  It'll be interesting to see if they do the "smart" thing and target more contact hitters instead of guys who hit .240 with 40 homers.  That has not proven successful.  Also guys like A-Rod and Swisher, who hit much better than .240 but for whatever reason can't hit in the playoffs. 

I don't know if I'd agree with the Red Sox being set up better for the future.  They have a LONG way to go on the pitching front.  They do have a few young arms (De La Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Renaudo), but they're probably not going to be much of a factor next season.  In a couple years, IF they pan out, then yes, they could be right back there.

Well they just picked up Granderson's option for 13 million.  They could theoretically trade him for an outfielder that hits .300 and has 20hr potential.  I still think they pick up an OF somewhere if not they're left with Granderson (all or nothing type), Gardner (great defense, slap hitter) and a hole in RF.

Red Sox do have cash to spend though.  Are they even going to resign Ortiz?  I think there is still enough talent there to at least put together a winning ball club.  I've read that they've starting exchanging names with Toronto on a trade for manager John Farrell.

They've also interviewed others including Tim Wallach.  I remember watching Wallach play with the Expos.  God that makes me feel old.

Bob Brenly leaves his job as Cubs color analyst and goes back to Arizona to become the Dbacks color guy.  ESPN's Steve Berthuaime will be the play by play guy.  Berthuaime is one of the few guys I actually like on ESPN so I'm curious to see how this works out.  His wife (ESPN anchor Cindy Brunson) is also moving to Arizona with him.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The Red Sox do have a lot of money to spend now, but the free agent crop isn't all that strong.  Plus, if they've learned their lesson, it's not to go out and spend boatloads of money just because you can.  I suspect they will re-sign Ortiz.  Their offense was a mess without him, AND everyone else after the trade/Middlebrooks injury.  I hope they make a run at Mike Napoli.  They're in need of a 1B, he could be used there, and as insurance at C depending on what they want to do with Lavarnway/Salty.  They don't seem very pleased with Salty's handling of the pitching staff.  On the pitching front, their best bet is to take a flier on a few veterans for one year deals, like the Yanks did with Kuroda and the Nats did with E. Jackson.  The Sox were in on both those guys last season, but didn't offer enough money.  Don't cheap out on the short term deals.  Those you can afford.  It's the 7 year, 150 million dollar deals you want to shy away from.

They've wanted Farrell ever since he left for Toronto and the love for Tito started to flame out.  Toronto seems to be playing hardball though, and if that's the case, the Sox should call their bluff.  Things aren't all that peachy for him in Toronto right now, and I don't think they want to retain him that badly.  They just know the Red Sox want him, so they're seeing what they can get.  The Sox should give it right back to them.  If it's not on THEIR terms, go with Wallach, Ausmus, Pena, etc.  But they do love Farrell.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Just heard that out of the last 17 World Series winners, 16 of them won Game 1

Watch out Detroit!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

Just heard that out of the last 17 World Series winners, 16 of them won Game 1

Watch out Detroit!

As I've said before, I have no real knowledge of baseball. Having said that, the Tigers absolutely got their asses handed to them last night. Holy shit!

If anyone is going to be able to come back from a 2-0 deficit in the World Series, it's the Tigers, so I'm not counting them out...yet

And honestly, I dont think the Giants are that great of a team this year, Lincecum isn't what he used to be, and they lost Melky Cabrera as well

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Why haven't I reported anything, just fyi...

I have HATED the new playoff system. Every team I pulled for, didn't even make it to the LCS. Fuck the Cardinals. They were a FRAUD, ILLEGAL ballteam. Braves should've been there, fucked call that NEVER EVER EVER EVER would've been called during the regular season. Nationals fucked themselves, but still, Nats should've been there. Yanks are a friggin' joke, A's had more heat and should've advanced over the Tigers.

Just boring, boring, boring. Giants are the only team I like, so i'm kinda rooting for SF, but at the same time it'd be kinda cool if Jim Leyland got the same retirement send off that Tony La Russa got. Either way, I really just don't care this year. SF is the only team that deserves to be there.

Board footer