You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Re: The MLB Thread

Bro-mero wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Fuck the Cardinals.

Oh you Cubs fans...

I feel the same about the White Sox and Tigers though

Say, have you seen the ESPN 30 for 30 film "Catching Hell"? It's about the Steve Bartman incident. One of the greatest baseball documentaries I've ever seen.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'd root for the White Sox anyday of the week before the Cards. I've had alot of buddies, a couple of doctors, and a former Sox pitcher-turned-surgeon patch me up. Nothing but good things to say, honestly, about south siders.

The Cards are basically the Yankees of the National League. Aren't they the 2nd-most winningest franchise in baseball history?

As for Bartman, I haven't seen it. Honestly it's still very tough for me to watch that 2003 collapse. It's still a very sore spot.

What I do remember from it though is this -- Steve Bartman got railroaded, by Moises Alou's ridiculously childish reaction. What I remembered was Alex Gonzalez, which had the best fielding PCT in all of the NL of SS's that year fumbling a double play that would've gotten them out of the inning.

THEN the fucking atom bomb went off.

Then even with some home runs, one by Kerry Wood himself, they couldn't shut down the Fish in Game 7.

In hindsight that was a stacked friggin' team the Marlins

young Josh Beckett
young Brad Penny
young Dontrelle Willis
young A.J. Burnett
young Carl Pavano
young Miguel Cabrera
vintage Derrek Lee
a returned, veteran Jeff Conine going after his 2nd ring
young Juan Pierre
young Mike Lowell
vintage Luis Castillo
veteran Ivan Rodriguez

What a friggin' team. They might've looked like a AAA ballteam then, but in hindsight that was the better team.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Your 2003 NLCS is my 2010 NFC Championship, so close!

The wound is still pretty fresh for me chronologically, but the history of the Cubs really makes that NLCS pretty painful for you guys even today. As much as it sucks to reflect on sports events like that, I highly recommend watching the documentary, lots of different perspectives, from fans sitting by Bartman, to lawyers filing a case on the play, to a reporter who is assigned to find Steve Bartman.

And as hard it is for me to reflect on games like the NFL championship, I can't help but watch it when it is brought up in the media

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Oh yeah, it's on Netflix if you have that, it's 2 hours long so be prepared to watch for awhile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's on Netflix? Cool man, I have Netflix so i'll try to get on that.

P.S.

NEVER sign up for the MLB Insiders Club. What a solicitor scam.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

NEVER sign up for the MLB Insiders Club. What a solicitor scam.

Ill keep that in mind 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, "Catching Hell" was a good view.  All those 30 for 30's are, for the most part.  It made me feel REAL bad for Bartman.  I mean, I know he had it rough, but that one incident basically ruined the guys life. 

Moises Alou was interviewed too, and he didn't seem to feel any remorse for inciting the fans to turn Bartman into the scapegoat.

World Series is over.  Can't say I was glued to the set for this one.  Didn't really hold my interest much.  Giants were pretty impressive though.  Down 0-2 in the LDS, than 2-3 in the LCS, and they go on to sweep the Tigers.  The NL has become the dominant league the last few years.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Yeah I came out of that documentary feeling really, really bad for Bartman. And I was pretty surprised that Alou, just as Faldor was, didn't seem to feel remorse over how he handled the situation

Congrats Giants, great season, flew under the radar for the whole year for me, I never really thought San Fran much of a chance to do anything this year

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

This was probably the most boring, who cares, World Series for me since Tigers and Cardinals in 2006.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer