You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Re: The MLB Thread

Bro-mero wrote:

This was the lowest rated World Series of all time

Only 3% of Americans watched

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There was no heat. That was the biggest problem. Imagine if it was a Giants/A's Bay series, especially with how much comeback traction the Giants got in the playoffs, plus the unbeatable rookies the A's had. That's how you sell a WS.

Nats/O's was another series that could've drawn tons of interest. Maryland/D.C. battle, the unbeliveable Nats, and the never say die Orioles.

That's the kinda stuff that typically brings higher ratings. Maybe even if the Braves had played the O's and they played up a Chipper Jones vs. Jim Thome angle. Will it be there last?

There was no heat at all in this matchup. Not to mention the Tigers were outmatched. The Giants were a far better team, and had been all year. That's what happens when teams like the Tigers which should never ever make it out of the Division Series, get free passes to the WS, on account of everyone else SUCKING ASS. The ONLY reason the Tigers even made it the Series, was because the A's gave away the first two games in the ALDS, and the Yankees basically didn't even show up for the ALCS. That's it.

At least the Giants were a legitimately good team. Despite my HUGE disappointment with how HORRENDOUS the playoff system turned out this year, at least a WORTHY team ultimately got the Championship.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

At least the Giants were a legitimately good team. Despite my HUGE disappointment with how HORRENDOUS the playoff system turned out this year, at least a WORTHY team ultimately got the Championship.

I don't get why they changed it at all.  MLB was sort of in between the NFL and the NBA playoffs.  You don't get the "team gets hot/momentum during the late stretch and wins it" like you do in the NFL.  But at the same time, it's not like the NBA playoffs where only 4-6 teams out of 16 have a legit chance of winning it.  It was a nice happy medium where a good team had a chance to win the WS.   Another "improvement" by Bud that was uneccessary as usual.

Marlins hired Mike Redmond as manager after the Ozzie debacle.

Royals trade for Ervin Santana of the Angels.  Not sure how I feel about this if I'm a Royals fan.  He's still relatively young but he has declining velocity and is going to cost them 12 million dollars.  Angels are also putting Haren on the trade block.  Red Sox and Cubs are two suitors.

FA madness starts tonight at midnight.  Ortiz is supposedly close to resigning with the Red Sox.

Greinke should sign pretty quick since he's the top FA pitcher on the market.  Dodgers and Rangers are chasing him

Mariners have a lot of money to spend and will probably overpay several players.  They finally moved the fences in for Safeco.

Michael Bourn will get over 10 million a year from somebody.  Can't say I'm a real fan of that but MLB teams are flush with cash due to the new TV deal that was hammered out during the season.

The Josh Hamilton signing will probably drag on a bit.  It'll be fascinating to see which other teams show interest in him.  I've read the Brewers might be a dark horse but they have enough offense and need pitching more.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Mike Redmond was a class act when he played for the Twins a few years ago, so I'm happy to see him become manager

Too bad he's stuck with bad signings from last offseason

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Axlin- I don't think matchup was the reason behind no one watching. Would more people watch if it was Giants-A's? Hell yeah! But MLB has failed miserably at keeping interest in the sport. I saw next to zero advertising for the World Series this year, as I have the past few years. Hell,  even a diehard like me wasn't interested very much.

I think they should shorten the regular season from 162 to around 142, because fans get just as tired of watching baseball towards the end of the season as players do playing the game

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

since the steroids scandal mlb has done zero to revive the excitement of offense and homeruns.........the nfl keeps handcuffing the defense with new rules and penalty changes that favor the qb's, receivers, and anyone carrying the ball to prosper, including the nfl. offense sells.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Another trade rumored to be going down:

Carlos Marmol to the Angels for Dan Haren.

14 14 on the Angels.  Haren might not ever recover his All Star form but he is a good bet to be average.  Marmol is the more of the same of the arson squad that was part of the 2012 Angels.

Edit: confirmed by ESPN Chicago.  Marmol is now the Angels problem.  I'm assuming he's going to close for them.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Cubs are nowhere near playoff contention yet so I don't see how this really helps them at all

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Axlin 12 can probably give a more detailed response but Marmol is horribly inconsistent as a closer.  He goes through stretches where he blows games left and right.  Add in the 9.8 million dollar salary and he was very difficult to trade.

They get a decent SP in Haren and can just find a closer that is probably on their roster somewhere.  Much better than spending 9.8 million on Marmol and then trying find a competent SP in FA or trade market.  Which wouldn't really be wise since the Cubs are trying to keep all their young prospects for a division run in a year or two.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh this is a fantastic trade. Just to get rid of Marmol, I would've taken a free steak to Pujols St. Louis restaurant.

Marmol was the next K-Rod, blah blah blah... good riddance to bad rubbish. I got SO SICK of hearing that shit. I remember sitting in the stands in Tampa in 2008 and the Cubs were up 3-to-1 in the bot of the 7th against the Rays in an interleague game. Piniella has Marmol in the bullpen. This joker was throwing wild pitch after wild pitch into the actual fucking game going on, causes game stoppages.

Do you think Piniella took it as a sign? Nope. Still put Marmol in. Know what happened? Marmol loaded the bases and caused a 7-run bot of the 7th to put the Rays up to 8-to-3.

I walked out.

And they actually were the best team in the NL that year.

Marmol was ALWAYS overrated. The Angels have got NOTHING. The Cubs on the other hand have got at least something.

Board footer