You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Slash - "Made In Stoke" DVD & Blu-ray

Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Finally got my import copy to the US of A!!!!! So fucking badass!!!!!  Such highquality!  This blu ray shit is amazing....  This band is so tight.

Yer i reckon my neibours are even starting to like it 9 21

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Finally got my import copy to the US of A!!!!! So fucking badass!!!!!  Such highquality!  This blu ray shit is amazing....  This band is so tight.

Yer i like rocket queen at made in stoke sound alot better then gnr live at the forum even with myles singing but i like franks drumming better

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:

gizz my pants at the 2.28 mark 21

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Rocket queen is a fave of mine too... I love seeing the fAns sing all the words too....

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Said it once and I'll say it til I'm blue in the face; Frank Ferrer is a fucking beast on the drum kit.

Yer hes the man 22

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
russtcb wrote:
gibbo wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Said it once and I'll say it til I'm blue in the face; Frank Ferrer is a fucking beast on the drum kit.

Yer hes the man 22

Sorry to keep derailing, but if you watch the The Blues at the LA show right after "...was only memories" and you're a Frank fan, you're in for a treat.

I watched that show with a mate whos not a hard core but likes them alot the first thing hes said fuck the drummers good

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
gibbo wrote:

gizz my pants at the 2.28 mark 21

Nice comparison.

Slash's absolutely AMAZING guitar performance in this fucking slaughters new GN'R. I mean it just does. New GN'R: The Band is stronger, yes, but Slash's guitar makes up for it.

That mid-song solo, made Bucket get on his knees and bow.

BUT... i'd still take that AWFUL pitchy, helium 2002 Axl performance vocally from LA 2011, over Myles.

Still with that said, if I had to choose a version here... believe it or not... i'd go with Slash Stoke 2011, because his guitar is > than weak Axl. New GN'R turned in a strong performance on there's though. hmm

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Slash's absolutely AMAZING guitar performance in this fucking slaughters new GN'R. I mean it just does. New GN'R: The Band is stronger, yes, but Slash's guitar makes up for it.

Have to agree. I'm a huge fan of both the old and the new so don't really like making things a contest - but the way slash is playing these old songs at the moment is just at another level - it's better than he ever played them himself in the past too.

I must say I prefer Slash doing his own songs, but I love what new GNR are doing on the chinese tracks live - they sound amazing...so no disrespect to the current band..

BUT... i'd still take that AWFUL pitchy, helium 2002 Axl performance vocally from LA 2011, over Myles.

I dunno. I mean Axl when he is on is the best in the world to me. Axl's vocals on the studio version of the CD songs kick fucking ass I recon.

So i deeply love Axl...but when he's in "helium"/raspless mode live it bothers me because then it's almost like a bad copy of himself. It's like a mockery or parody of how it sounds at his best. Know what I mean? Night Train at RIR4 is a terrible inferior cousin to Night Train at RAR 2006 vocally to me. And that hurts me to say. But the thing with Axl these days is it comes and goes. Wouldn't surprise me if in 2012 he sang it better than ever.  Why was he like this in 2002 and this year when in 2006 and 2009 he wasn't. There's probably a reason I don't know. But as a spectator it makes it frustrating at times - as it's like a racecar that sometimes doesn't start. Axl on stage gives you the possibility for unparalleled excellence - and you sometimes get it - but you sometimes get performances that are well below his batting average.   

Anyway...I guess for me the thing is about expectations. I know myles will never be able to sing it right - as no one can but Axl - so when it's not right I don't find that surprising. So i guess like Myles singing it wrong is less offensive to my ears than axl singing it "wrong" as like I wasn't anticipating myles doing it in a way i'd adore, whereas I know on the right night Axl will.

To use an analogy. Imagine if sometimes Slash played SCOM the way Robin used to. (Sorry Russ). But only occasionally and the rest of the time it was kickass. I'd find that even more frustrating than someone like DJ who can never do it like Slash but delivers a consistency of performance.

To me that's what Myles is. He's not Axl but he's solid at what he can do. While with Axl - he's brilliant some nights but other times it just doesn't work out.

Sorry for such a negative post, just trying to give an honest appraisal of these things as I hear them in my ears. For the record I love the work everyone in old and new GNR has done, and their music changed my life, so I don't mean to be posting like a bitch just cos someone has an off night sometimes.

Board footer