You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Gene Simmons says ‘a good beating’ would have helped Axl Rose

Aussie wrote:

I have always thought Kiss was a fun band too and found their music and schtick entertaining on a superficial level.  But I was always kinda indifferent about them if I had to sum up my feelings. 

Having said that over more recent years Gene has really turned me off.  That guy is struggling so badly for relevance it's laughable.  The whole reality TV show, the school of rock thing and and all the other bullshit I just find him fucking annoying.  He continually plays the rock God card, "Ive fucked 96 millions chicks", "I''m too cool for this" etc etc etc - Yawn.   You might have been cool once but you now look like a silly old man desperately trying to cling to some former glory that has long since passed.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I mean when a band that has been on tour for 27 years defeats the big hot pop thing in touring gross... U really think he cares about any other band's press?

If Axl had just a tenth of Jon's professionalism and business acumen, GNR would be bigger than the Rolling Stones. Remember, Bon Jovi's manager is Jon essentially. so both have similar set ups.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

one of my fave kiss songs from animalize

That's a fantastic song. KISS has always been one of those bands that have a few albums that are actual ALBUMS, and then they just have singles and records.

To me the only real "albums" they ever did was KISS '73 (love that album, as far as i'm concerned a rock classic), Destroyer, and Asylum. That's it.

The rest are just singles on top of singles. And if you've got a good greatest hits set from the 70's and/or 80's, it's pretty much a good chronicle of them.

I wonder at times if the reason KISS have so much of a lack of actual albums, is the reason the RNRHOF have largely ignored them. Then again the old GN'R only have three full studio LP's and they're getting nominated.

mindsmack51883 wrote:

Besides the Paul Stanley/Slash stuff that's already been mentioned, a couple things stick out in my mind..

If Axl was ever anything more than a casual Kiss fan, it had already passed by the time GNR was touring "Appetite". I remember the interview from Donnington, I think, where the interviewer asks "What do you have in common with the other bands that are on the billl (Kiss, Iron Maiden, etc)?", and Axl answered back "Hopefully nothing". I almost spit the first time I watched that - But, at a time when most of the hair metal scene praised Kiss, I can't imagine Gene finding it so funny.

Also, even after all of that, I remember reading something about Gene inviting Axl to be on his solo album "Asshole" during the hermit years, and never hearing back from him or his people. If true, that couldn't have helped feelings any.

When you really get down to it though, they're totally opposite personalities. Sometimes that's reason enough.

I also bust a gut when Axl without missing a beat said that. But I thought it was more of a slag on Iron Maiden in my memory than KISS. I remember Axl went through a feud with Bruce Dickenson. Years later Dickenson was on Eddie Trunk's radio show, and Bruce is a personal hero of Eddie's and I thought I remember Bruce running down Axl when asked by Eddie about him. This was years ago tho.

Frankly you know what the whole thing comes across as? It comes across like KISS have the same relationship with Axl & GN'R that Axl & GN'R had with Nirvana.

KISS seemingly came across as fans of GN'R and GNR's total lack of respect and interest and acknowledgement of KISS really irritated them. No different than when Axl tried to kiss up to Kurt & Nirvana and got shut down.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I have more respect for Michael Bolton than KISS... Which is funny, seeing Bolton wrote most of KISS's songs in the 80's.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

I have more respect for Michael Bolton than KISS... Which is funny, seeing Bolton wrote most of KISS's songs in the 80's.

WHAT???

Dude, thats complete bullshit

Bolton co wrote the single "Forever" with Paul but he didn't write most of anything. That was the only collaboration. Please don't post bullshit as facts.

They collaborated with Desmond Child a lot in the 80's

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i wanna hear Bolton sing "Lick it Up" that would fucking rock 14

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

WHAT???

Dude, thats complete bullshit

Bolton co wrote the single "Forever" with Paul but he didn't write most of anything. That was the only collaboration. Please don't post bullshit as facts.

They collaborated with Desmond Child a lot in the 80's

You're probably right, I just confused Child for Bolton. 16

But KISS still sucks. Michael Bolton rules... Compared to KISS, because KISS really, really sucks. Donkey dicks.

Board footer