You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: November 19th - Hartford, CT - Comcast Theater

RussTCB wrote:

removed

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Axl Rose clearly doesn’t subscribe to that old showbiz saying, “always leave ’em wanting more.”

Rose and his latter-day Guns N’ Roses lineup took a more maximal approach Saturday night (and early Sunday morning) at Comcast Theatre in Hartford, where they played 32 songs over nearly three hours, starting at 11:30 p.m. (OK, math whizzes: 11:30 start plus 3-hour show equals what time?)

As a declaration of existence, and as a display of virtuosity, it was impressive. Even all these years after Rose split from the other original members of the band, he’s still clearly determined to show that he didn’t need those jerks anyway. And though the current Guns lineup doesn’t have the air of impending mayhem that made the original band so compelling, the singer has assembled a group of top-notch musicians to back him on stage.

He just didn’t choose the songs very well.

Sure, there was strong representation from “Appetite for Destruction” and the “Use Your Illusion” albums, and it’s reasonable to expect a bunch of songs from the most recent effort, 2008’s “Chinese Democracy.” With so much strong Guns material, though, two AC/DC covers (“Riff Raff” and “Whole Lotta Rosie”) might have been overkill. For that matter, so was littering the set with various scripted instrumental jams and snippets of things like Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2,” or Dizzy Reed’s solo-piano instrumental take on the Who’s “Baba O’Riley,” which followed bassist Tommy Stinson’s lead-vocal turn on another Who song, “My Generation.” We get it: these guys can play.

Regardless, the band put on a show, with jets of pyro and fireworks on a big stage with plenty of room for Rose and his band to roam around. The singer has taken excellent care of his voice, and if he didn’t sound as restless and hungry as he once did on “Welcome to Jungle,” well, he isn’t. But he sang it and the other songs well, dancing a little in place here and there and running back and forth between vocals.

His platoon of three guitarists — DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus and Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal — nailed Slash’s guitar tone on “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” and pounded through “Chinese Democracy” tunes including “Shackler’s Revenge.” Rose anchored the piano part on “November Rain” and the crowd helped him sing “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” late in.

After wrapping up the main set with “Nightrain,” the band returned for an encore that included another cover — Rose Tattoo’s “Nice Boys” — before ending with “Patience” and, finally, “Paradise City.”

Sebastian Bach opened the show with an hour’s worth of solo and Skid Row songs.

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/mu … 730.column

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Noticing that more and more, critics and fans alike are complaining of the heavy amount of covers.

Solos have never been popular at concerts.

Kinda knew it'd eventually come to that...

Great review faldor! Great you had a wonderful time!

If you say DJ played "Ballad of Death", that's cool. I wrote "Mi Amor" because that's pretty much what DJ has played this whole tour. There was a show awhile back, I think it was Dallas, someone assumed DJ played "Ballad of Death" and reported it, but it was in fact "Mi Amor".

I just assumed the same thing happened.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I get the "too many covers/solos" argument.  But the solos have a definite place in the set.  They feature each member of the band, which Axl likes to do, and has always been the case in GNR.  And obviously it gives him time to rest so he can pull off 3 hour shows. 

As for the covers, I fully enjoyed "Whole Lotta Rosie".  I was actually looking forward to hearing them play it, and it was great.  I tweeted during Riff Raff, that I wasn't a fan of the song, but they played the shit out of it.  The band is playing what they like to play, so let them have their fun.  Like Axl said in the TMS interview, he does that song for him.  If that makes him happy, than I'm all for it. 

And I know it sounds crazy, but Axl's words about still pushing Chinese Democracy rang true to me last night more than ever.  I mean, sure it seems ridiculous to be touring an album for the 5th time, and 3 years post release.  But to think of all the struggles and hurdles they needed to clear to get that album out, and now they're able to properly showcase it.  You could tell Axl and the band LOVED performing the new stuff, and I'm sure they loved seeing a large number of people singing along to the CD songs.  They were very well received from where I was standing and you could just tell the sense of pride and accomplishment.  Sure it wasn't the best selling CD of all time, and quite honestly it tanked in comparison to most people's expectations.  But to see a positive reception like that, it has to make them feel good.  And that's what this tour is all about.  Who knows what the future holds.  If they do this AGAIN, I won't have much of an argument next time around.  But it makes sense to me after last night more than ever.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

What is the driver to do covers do you reckon?

There is so much material Axl could do from the UYI albums that people would just love. Get rid of the covers and bring back 'Pretty Tied Up', 'Breakdown' and 'Bad Obsession'.

People at the gigs are there for GNR and its been so long since many of those songs were heard live that it would just add to the delight people are getting from this band right now.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

What is the driver to do covers do you reckon?

Maybe just for fun and giving other members (Tommy) a few minutes in the spotlight.

As a hardcore, I could do without them (and some of the solos). I can see that two AC/DC covers in almost every show is a bit over the top.

But if this issue is what we're down to as far as diehards not being 100% satified with what's going on, I'd say they're doing alright!
smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl said specifically that he's a fan of Riff Raff, and it puts him in a certain mood it being played, and that's why.

If that's the case, I am formally requesting GN'R cover the W.A.S.P. classic, "I Wanna Be Somebody". One of Axl's favorite tunes, one of my favorite W.A.S.P. tunes, and I would LOVE to hear a GN'R version.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

it's not like all the good stuff is crammed into the final hour.
if three hours is too long, leave after two. you still get to see a great set.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I also want to say if Axl's got a thing for covers, short of Nice Boys...

This double penetrates Riff Raff

Bring that mother fucker back!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer