You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum (Nov 28, 2011)

faldor wrote:

Oh I have no doubt.  It sounds so cliche, especially coming from us GNR nerds, but the band seems to be firing on all cylinders, and better than ever.  They're routinely playing epic 2 1/2 to 3 hour shows, nailing all the songs, Axl is sounding great.  I can't remember hearing a negative review from someone who attended a show this time around.  At least outside of the normal, "Slash wasn't there", "Axl is fat" stuff. 

I saw them for the first time in 2002 and that was great.  2006 at MSG was even better, but this year was by far the greatest.  And honestly I don't see how it can get any better.  I can't imagine seeing another concert (GNR or not) as good.

And yeah, the 7 CD songs are a solid representation.  I loved seeing Shackler's, TIL, and Sorry for the first time.  Would've loved to have seen Scraped, but hey.  Also Nice Boys, Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff, Estranged, the solos, intros to songs.  All new, and great stuff to see live.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah was my first witness to DC sung by Axl...was awesome

just seeing that and estranged made my night, but all in all was a great show cant really complain about anything, would love to see a youtube vid or 2 just to see if it translates well

hell i even dug the acdc tune...they went on @ 10:40 and played until 1:35 approx...so pretty much a full 3 hour gig

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I forgot about "Don't Cry" with Axl.  That was a first for me as well.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Don't Cry and Estranged were both firsts for me. And they were both amazing.

Glad you had a great time Neemo. Great to hear it was better than last. I've been hearing that alot. For as much as people bash DJ, something is working better, because alot of people have put those 2010-2011 shows WAY over 2006-2007.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I LOVE THIS PIC

459310193.jpg

Axl looks fucking vintage in that photo. Circa '91 Axl.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Don't Cry and Estranged were both firsts for me. And they were both amazing.

Glad you had a great time Neemo. Great to hear it was better than last. I've been hearing that alot. For as much as people bash DJ, something is working better, because alot of people have put those 2010-2011 shows WAY over 2006-2007.

well DJ has grown alot as a player....last night even topped 2010 i think

i went with 3 other guys who have seen them play a couple times since 2002 and even they were releived that Finck was gone...i know alot of people miss him but DJ is just a better fit for GnR, both in image and in musical style, stage presence

also there was some wisecracks about Axl's weight and how he cant sing anymore prior to the show...was a bit satisfying to see the naysayers just become speachless once they started playing 22

Axlin that pic is from Nightrain IIRC

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Awesome

I really think DJ having guys like Ron & Richard around him are gonna push him to fight for the spotlight. He's not gonna just be "the man" simply because he's on lead.

He's got two very talented guys right beside him that can both play lead, and Ron is a virtuoso.

DJ's gotta step his game up, and he has. The greatest thing is he's getting better, but he's got the image and the spokesman thing to go with it.

He's also got alot better attitude than Robin. DJ likes being there, and is proud to carry that guitar and top hat. Robin had a big attitude of "i'm better than this".

That's just not gonna work long term.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Great to hear you had a good time, neemo. What did Ron say?

And, fwiw, I don't think DJ was a better fit than Robin. I think they're both different, which is good, but they both fit their parts and brought something good. And, as of right now, Robin brought in/was a part of some great original GN'R material.

The only person that matters for GN'R's future or present is Axl. No one else matters to the public. The only person who mattered anything to anyone outside of Axl in the scheme of things was Slash. Buckethead was the only who could have possibly filled another spotlight. But it is what it is now.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

What did Ron say?

not much just shot the shit for a few minutes, asked him a couple guitar questions, got a pic with him

Board footer