You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I honest to God do not remember ANY of this Robin Finck fandom back when he was ACTUALLY IN the band.

Same thing with Bucket. I remember them being slagged on a daily basis on every board, every radio DJ, every music critic, every fucking place for being everything Guns N' Roses wasn't.

I really think alot of this "they were the best" shit is alot of revisionist history. I was right there following this shit daily, on far more boards than I do today, and I don't remember ANY of this shit.

I remember Jim Bob being the big Robin fan, and that's about it.

The 2002 line up had a lot of fans. I seriously can't believe you don't remember this. And they were the positive notes on the 2002 reviews, when people were bashing Axl. I remember very clearly the band getting positive reviews and Axl getting slammed. Even Sammy Hagar talked about how good the band was. So did Dave Mustaine.

And we're from the same area and I didn't hear every rock DJ bashing the band back in 2002. We listened to the same stations, remember? big_smile

The bashing came from the original line up fans who hated he carried on with the GN'R name and couldn't get over the "freak show." The people who bashed Robin and Bucket were the guys who grew up on 80's metal, hair metal, cock rock, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi and Van Halen stuff.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

DJ jumps in the crown everynight during Nightrain

what seriousness did RObin bring? the stupid mongoloid dance schtick? The Garbage Bag/Longjohns getup? the half shaved head/elvis jumpsuit getup? some serious stuff there

this is rock n roll not congress, seriousness doesnt play a factor, its not like they act like gwar or something

there were a few finck fans out there back when he was in the band but since he has left it seems like people like him more yeah he has alot of song writing credits for the new album but he has as many dogs as he does highlights...just dont dig his playing style...talk about contrived i think robin did his best just to be different, to re-transpose music from one tuning to another says it all really, it also helped make teh old stuff sound wrong in a live setting

The bashing came from the original line up fans who hated he carried on with the GN'R name and couldn't get over the "freak show." The people who bashed Robin and Bucket were the guys who grew up on 80's metal, hair metal, cock rock, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi and Van Halen stuff.

yet here we are 7-8 years after Bucket has left and the same ones that bitched about the original lineup fans bitching are now bitching that the lineup used to be better....oh the irony

MrID you talk like Crue, Jovi and VH are bad....they come from the same vein as GnR my freind 19 or maybe i'm just an old fart, i never bashed bucket, but i think Robin's "talent" is just over my head or soemthing, i dont want the band to sound like soemthign different i want it to sound like GnR...i think thats my biggest problem with robin...everything sounded off to me when he played the old material

I never said that BH and Finck left for no reason....but they did leave and if not for DJ and Bumble there wouldnt be a band on tour right now....Finck and Bucket werent fired they left...

bitch as much as you want, the lineup is what we got (i think its awesome) all complining does is increase the possiblility that the guys (who bust their asses day in and day out and put their health and well being on the line) feel unappreciated

johndivney wrote:

there's a debate [still] going on in the tour thread about the various merits of these guys.
so, now we're living in a chinese democracy, it's only correct to put it to a poll.

personally i never really liked robin & a lot of his behaviour re: Guns left a lot to be desired. but 'having said that' i do like a lot of his contributions to CD

i really dislike a lot about DJ, but in many respects he does right what robin did wrong - he is respectful of the old material, the b(r)and, the fans & a good entertainer live.

it's not an easy choice.
for me they represent the weakest chinks in the armory.
neither of them are technically good enough & are extremely reliant on BH & Ron respectively. neither would be capable of carrying the band as a true 'lead guitarist'.

(& of course there's the disclaimer about wanting to hear DJ on an album before passing judgement.. well that may never happen so just ignore that for the time being & vote!)

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

my choice is hardly a secret 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

What Russ said word for word.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

voted for robin, but dj really starts to grow on me..

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

DJ Ashba. He doesn't ruin the songs. Good enough for me after Robin Finck. We may see how he writes with Axl.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Wouldn't this be like the previous Robin vs Slash? And the argument would always be "Robin hasn't written shit with GNR so the entire thing is useless".

Now, Robin actually HAS released stuff with GNR...

So is this comparison valid? It didn't use to be, and rightfully so..but DJ doing Robin parts?

Anyway, based on these factors:

Stage presence
GNR fit
Potential future songs

I vote DJ ASHBA

Board footer