You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

The bashing came from the original line up fans who hated he carried on with the GN'R name and couldn't get over the "freak show." The people who bashed Robin and Bucket were the guys who grew up on 80's metal, hair metal, cock rock, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi and Van Halen stuff.

Well I know this doesn't apply to me when it comes to Robin as I was a NIN fan in 1990 and  knew of Robin from the time he joined NIN in 1994 I believe, so I knew of Robin and was a fan before most others were I'd venture to guess.  He just never fit in Guns N Roses in my opinion. Not only did he not fit I felt he was a terrible fit and I was actually excited when I first heard he was in the band based on my fandom of NIN so...  As for Buckethead yeah I thought his image was fucking stupid but he sounded cool. And just so we're clear Guns N' Roses fits right into that "derogetory" genre of cock rock and hair metal that you mentioned. If you don't think the same people listeninng to Motley Crue or Van Halen were also listening to Guns N' Roses then I got news for ya.  There were a lot of people who thought Bucket and Robin looked fucking stupid and it wasnt' just cock rockin' original lineup fans and it wasn't just people who grew up on 80s metal.

misterID wrote:

For media purposes I agree with you that they're both better at promotion, but I really don't think any significant number of people will care if it's Robin or DJ up there next to Axl.

Based on my experiences alone I can't agree with this. I think Robin turned off and annoyed a LOT of casual fans with the way he performed on stage in 2006. he just looked like a  total joke on stage and I think the casual fan appreciates DJ much more than they did Robin. Plus sound wise DJ stays true to the original sound much more so than Robin ever did so I disagree. I think a  very significant amount of casual fans would prefer DJ over Robin.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

hard to vote when one is on cd and the other has yet to release a note with gnr.

dj is a better fit for gnr live.

looking forward to what he can do in the studio with axl.

my money is on dj but robin made some nice contributions.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Robin was fucking horrendous with fans

dear friends,

i want to make this opportunity to comment on gnr's recent withdrawal from the rock-in-lisbon festival. i was disappointed, as were the lot of us, to come to grips that we won't be performing there as anticipated. my bags have been packed for some time awaiting such an event. i'm chomping at the bit to get out and really shake things up with gnr and look forward to the release of the new album and ultimately to tour and to tour.

'til then - love, r ob i n

- HTGTH

metallex78 wrote:

Robin bailed on the band twice, the second time was before the long awaited album was finally released, yet Axl is ok with Robin, and NOT with Slash...?

We wrote and rehearsed and argued and laboriously recorded several records worth of musical material, which to the best of my knowledge Axl is still finishing. But my work was through. We had dozens of finished songs, as far as I was concerned, and we were waiting for Axl to complete the songs. - Robin, 2000

Robin's work on the next is done so there's not lots for him to do here except the elusive promo and he'd rather be on stage. - Axl, 2008

Do I see a pattern?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

ONE FUCKING COMMENT in the 10 year history of the band?

Not to mention a complete and total lack of interest in fans breathing at shows?

That's the retort to that?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

ONE FUCKING COMMENT in the 10 year history of the band?

How many comments Pittman made before CD was released?

Some folks are just more quiet than others.

Not to mention his message just came at pretty much the worst moment in the history of the CD lineup, as they were on the brink of returning to the stages after the 02 meltdown.

At that point in time, Robin's comments were welcomed and greatly appreciated. It's easy to belittle it now, but back then, it was a big deal. Everybody was burying the band with the absence of Bucket.

Axlin08 wrote:

Not to mention a complete and total lack of interest in fans breathing at shows?

hmm

Robin must've figured they were able to breathe without his supervision.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

He might've but I know several fans who thought he came across as a total dick, while Axl was out there shaking hands.

Yep, you read that right.

It was perplexing at the time. I think Ron, Richard, Frank & Dizzy's overly gracious attitudes made him look worse.

I just remember a few Robin fans having to run around and do damage control on that tour, being apologists for Robin's odd, dickish, "i'm above you all, including Axl" behavior during that tour, and when they continued to get backed into a corner, then they turned around with the "Robin is an original. Robin doesn't do that. Robin is a hipster. An artiste"

They didn't help their cause with the "fuck Slash, Slash who?" motif at that time. Something that was the polar opposite of how Ron acted.

It also seemed to be something exclusive to 2006. I didn't remember issues like that with Robin at all in 2002.

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you noticed, I made my point without slamming DJ's look, stage presence, playing, all of which I find pretty stupid, lame, ridiculous and generic (sorry you went there).

I can understand both points of view on DJ.

Angry Anderson of Rose Tattoo somewhere (i think at MTV classic gig) escribes Slash as something like "He's just the real deal. a rock and roll mongrel rock dog" or words to that effect. And that's the thing with Slash - sure he's pulling rock god poses and it's influenced by joe perry and others - but it's always been sort of authentic.

He was born to be a rock star. He's real for better or worse. From the guy holding up his guitat in a junkie drunken haze in the 1990s, to the unbelievable emotion he channels into a song, to the way he plays today. He's Slash and that is what it is.

The thing about DJ is that his influences are so profound. He's obviously a hybrid of Mick Mars and Slash. And I can understand that some people view that as insincere.

Did DJ get his tatts during his days on the street or did he get them to look like tommy lee? When he stands with a cig or talks of trashing stuff while pissed is it because he smokes and uses or because motley did?

For the record, I'm not suggesting he's lying to us, maybe he really is the absolute last of the real legit LA rock dudes and none of it is showman ship, but i think in the absense of him recording with the band (which i think will be good) - and because his influences are so transparent - I can understand why some people feel it's suspect. I'm not sure I agree or not - but I can see why a person could see it that way.

That negative shit out of the way. At the end of the day for me - while I'm not yet sold on his apperance, stage antics and so on - if we talk about the actual MUSIC - then i'm really into DJ. Bottom line to me is that he's far more respectful of slash's parts and plays them much closer to the original than robin did - which is what the majority of fans would want I suspect.

I also think he will "come good" when we see DJ inspired material - he writes well in the style of Motley Crue when he records with them, and he writes Sixx Am stuff that's good - and so I think if writing in a style for Axl he would also choose melodies and shredding that's good.

For me it comes down to if i go see the band with DJ i can rock out to the solo and it sounds like I want it too (mostly anyway)...and that's what I need him to do in the band...so i do support him - but i can understand why at first glance some people see him as an emulator not an original.

I totally love this post. You couldn't have nailed it better. You really get DJ as a guitarist.

I don't think he's about "ripping off". I don't think he's about copying Slash.

I think he's a product of his generation. He's a throwback player, who was obviously influenced greatly by the 80's metal scene, even if his licks are catchy, but mainstream.

I think he's fine with that, and totally respects that era of rock music.

Like you said he's a creation of Mick Mars & Slash influence. And he totally embraces it, and respects those guys immensely.

I don't see any problem with it all. If there's tons of guitarists out there today that beat off to Kirk Hammett's catchy but technical heavy metal work, Kurt Cobain's "play it lousy and destorted, but with alot of soul" grunge work...

I don't see why someone can't embrace Slash's tone, Mick Mars image, and play with a rocker feel of late 80's Joe Perry, and a slickness of Van Hagar ballads.

That's DJ Ashba. That's what he's all about. And GOD I love him for being that. It's exactly what Guns N' Roses has needed since 1996.

Bono wrote:

DJ Ashba by a  million miles. His playing sounds better and he's a better fit for Guns N' Roses. His image is a better fit for Guns N' Roses and his stage presence is  ten times better than Robin's. I honestly could not stand watching Robin stumble around on stage like a  drunken homless man in 2006.  In my opinion Robin was a terrible fit for Guns N' Roses. DJ has fit in nicely I think.  Also I have way more confidence in DJ being able  to contribute to writting new material that I would enjoy than I would have Robin.  What it boils down to for me is I lost respect for Robin as a perfomer the three times I saw Guns N' Roses while he was in the band whereas after seeing DJ perform once he won me over big time.

Also I know how everyone loves when I share what my freinds thought but no word of a lie everyone(8 people) who saw Gn'R with me in 2006 thought Robin was a joke where as the two who saw them with me in 2010 actually really liked DJ so... a microcosm of the genral publics opinion perhaps.

Having said all that Robin is a  great fit for Nine Inch Nails. I just felt Robin was mocking the position he had in Guns N' Roses or somthing. It came off so fake watching him on stage.

And as for the current lineup I enjoy this lineup better than any lineup since the Illusion era so....  Nothing on CD convinces me Buckethead was ever right for Guns N' Roses and Brain and Frank are interchangebale as far as I'm concerned so based on how the band sounds live and how they seem to be gelling and how their image is(yes I mentioend their image get over it) and hwo guys liek DJ and Ron interact witht eh fan and seem to enjoy that side of it(completely opposite form Robin and BH) this new lineup is by far the best we've had since the Illusion era in my opinion.

Yeah I don't know what was up in 2006. His tone was different, and worse, in 2006 versus 2002 too. I actually liked him and his blend sound with Bucket better in 2002. Maybe it was because Robin and his whole deal worked better in that 2002 band.

Either way I agree with you. Despite the fact that the 2002 was the best "band instrumentally" of the new era, they just were not the overall package.

The current band is the real deal, and the first real deal GN'R has been since the UYI touring band.

Right ability, right writing ability (imho), right tone, right attitude, right image, since 1993. The overall package is correct for the first time in years.

I think it will be absolutely downright TRAGIC, if Axl doesn't get these guys into a studio and record original material with them. For as much as I would love to hear more Bucket vault trx, I would much rather have the next GN'R album be done by the guys currently out there.

I think there's a good chance it could surpass Chinese.

Yep I said it... surpass CD.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Axl basically stated in a Rolling Stone interview Robin sucked.

When was this?

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Voted Robin, love his work on CD and was lucky enough to see him on a night when he brought his A-game, pretty fucking awesome. His solo spots were appalling though, I never want to be subjected to that again, I dont play guitar and I expect thats how I'd sound if I was handed a guitar and told to do something for 5 minutes. Either that or pluck the opening to Stand By Me over and over.

Havnt seen DJ live yet or heard what new GNR material he's helped make, so he's way down the pecking order in my eyes. I didnt like Robins 2002 outfits much, thought in 2006 he looked pretty fucking cool to be honest. Dont like DJ's look at all, I despise that cornball sunset strip image, dont like Sixx AM, dont like his playing of the CD material, dont like his WTTJ - its too pantomimey and goofy, in 2006 it had more of a rip your head off all hell is about to break out kind of vibe. Dont like him boasting on twitter about being a cunt to hotel staff and restaurant staff.

Personally, for as good as a performance and stage production this line up has, until they produce original music that I like as much as the CD era, the CD era will always be my preference over them.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

For as much as I would love to hear more Bucket vault trx, I would much rather have the next GN'R album be done by the guys currently out there.

I think there's a good chance it could surpass Chinese.

Yep I said it... surpass CD.

Not an overly difficult task in my honest opinion.  Every once in a  while I go back to CD just to give it another shot and I can say at this point 3 years later it's a boring album to me. There's a handful of songs that are good, the rest bore me and I only really like Prostitute but even that song sounds so generic to me. It's too processed an album. I don't know. Just last week I had to make a drive to Calgary and cranked AFD on the drive there. Fucking awesome still after all these years. On the way home I gave CD a go and was honestly bored of it after Better. I'd let each song start and then mid way through skip to the next song.  What I find, and I think it's a product of Axl's cut n paste approach to the album, is that each song has a glimmer of brilliance suffocated amongst a pile of extremely mediocre stuff.

So yeah there is no doubt in my mind that DJ could and would contribute to music that would be much more to my liking.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The rockers on SixxAM's album sound a big and PHAT, and there are quite a few solos that sound quite epic too, like the ones on Oh My God (SixxAM's, not GN'R's). I'm sure with DJ helping produce the next GN'R album, hopefully it will sound better than CD does.

Board footer