You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

-D- wrote:

TIL solo is horrendous. DJ is better just for what he has done to that solo alone. The Solo DJ plays is all time great. he took the one great thing Robin did melody wise.. Focused the solo around it whereas Robin does his out of tune shit bend fest.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me it's about the value someone adds to a song...as the legal requirements of what's song writing are a legal mess.

Take Slash on estranged...it's not his song and it would have been good anyway...but he really adds values to the track with those melodies in the solo.

One of the ways I test for this in my head is the level of individuality and distinctiveness of the parts played and the player.

Any guitarist could play a cool solo over a good song like estranged, but NOT JUST any guitarist would have come up with something like *that*.

I feel Robin is similar in that he has a very expressive and distinctive style and aproach to the guitar. It's not for everyone. It's sort of a love it or hate it thing. But it's there.

I've noticed that about Axl's guitarists. Anyone can play a blues solo but like you can tell when you are listening to slash. You can hear his touch. His connection with the instrument. Robin plays in a very different style to slash - but he's the same in that what he does with the track is maybe not what someone else would do.

You can find 1000 guitarists better than Robin. Pretty much any famous metal guitarist could mop the floor with him chop wise. But artisticly you can still tell it's robin he's adding a touch to the track that many of those players just wouldn't. Some of us hear it and enjoy it, some hear it and hate it.

So yeah...song writing wise I have to give him his due...it's not for everyone..but you can hear is effect on the album...for better or worse..it would have been a very different record if he'd not been a part of the process. So I feel he deserves credit for that.

To me the cool bit about the future is that now we have the best of both, like Axl has material from Robin he can work in if it suits, but he's also not locked into using only Robin's style now he has the current guitarists that are very versitile.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I guess it is because I am a more of an alternative fan that I favour Robin.

I can't stand crap like Motley Crue.

Hope Axl keeps Guns in the Alternative / Industrial / Queen (styled Rock) direction.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Not a fan of SIXX:AM, but DJ is certainly a capable replacement.

However, my decision wasn't even a close call. Robin co-wrote on seven excellent tracks in Guns. He was a monster on the '06 tour and really elevates two monster bands.  Robin by a mile.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

. He was a monster on the '06 tour.

If you're speaking in terms of turning off casual fans and alienating many long time fans then yeah he was definitely a monster on the 2006 tour tongue

AtariLegend wrote:

Here's one for you to quote russt for my long history of breaking forum rules, go fuck yourself.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

If you're speaking in terms of turning off casual fans and alienating many long time fans then yeah he was definitely a monster on the 2006 tour tongue

Robin? Really?

I have not heard an objection to Mr. Finck's 2006/07 performance. In fact, I know long time G&R fans who drifted away after he left.

Bono

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:
Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Robin? Really?

I have not heard an objection to Mr. Finck's 2006/07 performance. In fact, I know long time G&R fans who drifted away after he left.

Really, where have you been?  There's been numerous objections to him over the years and a handful of them in this very thread. I can only assume you're intentionally not aknowledging the objections that have been mentioned cause they're quite common even amongst long time Gn'R fans.

I don't deny there are fans of Robin who may have lost interest in this Gn'R project after his depature nor do I deny there are a lot of Robin fans period but to say you've not heard any objections to his performances is...  dare I say completely untrue.  I mean how is it possible to be a regular on a  Gn'R discussion board and not have heard of any objections to Robin? Whether it be his ability, his style, his interpretations of classic Gn'R songs live or his contributions to CD.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I guess it is because I am a more of an alternative fan that I favour Robin.

I can't stand crap like Motley Crue.

Hope Axl keeps Guns in the Alternative / Industrial / Queen (styled Rock) direction.

Same here.

Bono

Bono wrote:

I dont find Axl's voice to be suited for that industrial style rock.  His voice is perfect for balls to the wall rock n' roll and of course epic ballads. I don't know it seems that kind of music(80's rock) is looked at in a  negative light lately on this site. I mean take Kickstart My heart for example. You guys say you don't like Motley Crue but what's all so different about that and I don't know.... Don' t Damn me or Nightrain. Yeah they're different but how do you love one and aboslutely hate another?  Could you not picture Axl singing to Kicstart My Heart or Affraid(90's Crue). Not necessarily those lyrics but I for one can absolutely picture Axl lending his voice and melodies to that kind of music. I have a hard time picturing Axl lending his voice to say Mr Self Destruct Capital G by NIN though.  The again I never liked My World nor do I like Oh My God.  Mostly cause I don't think Axl's voice sounds right with that type of music.

Board footer