You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: December 16, Key Arena- Seattle, WA

Ali wrote:
russtcb wrote:
DCK wrote:

YCBM is a very hard song to sing, and as has been the norm on this tour, YCBM doesn't fit Axl's voice well. The rest of the songs does.

It's my theory that YCBM and (some nights) SCoM are kind of "voice resting" songs. Like he doesn't put everything he can into those to sort of take it easy for a tune. And if that is actually the case, I'm completely ok with it when the dude is turning in 3 hour shows every night where the rest of the performance is damn near flawless.

Yeah, I think he uses his head voice more on those songs, perhaps, rather than pushing his chest voice or blending the two.  I like the cleaner vocal tone and since Axl has such a well-developed vocal range, he can get more power/volume from his head voice than most singers.

Ali

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Everything you just said proved my point.  I said that CD added to the GNR legacy.  I didn't qualify that and say whether it was good or bad. 

Everything you said helped to prove that CD did add to the GNR legacy.  (Good or bad doesn't matter)  Without CD, people wouldn't be talking about GNR. The huge wait kept GNR/Axl in the spotlight.  It is the butt of a lot of jokes.  But with all the hype surrounding it there was no way it could live up.  What we got is a perfectly good rock record (which there are too few of these days). 

With everyone singing along to CD songs in concert, I do think those guys deserve some credit given to them. 

There's a point in time where people have to move on and accept that this is how GNR is right now. I kind of feel that it would be a slap in the face to the guys in the band now to reunite with the old members.  These guys seem to finally be getting some legitimacy to their lineup and a reunion would destroy that. 

If GNR reunited, even for one night, people would want more, and people would turn away from this lineup even more.  I say don't do it unless you're actually going to get back together.

Holy shit dude  are you for real?  Nobody would be talking about Guns N' Roses if it weren't for CD?  The huge wait kept AXL in the spotlight not his band of interchangeable hired hands.

Yes I am for real.  Axl is GNR now (in its current form).  There is a point where people need to accept that and move the fuck on or give up. 

Yes, it kept Axl in the spotlight.  And whenever people discuss Axl, GNR is also mentioned. 

You are usually a good poster, but to disagree with this is fucking ludicrous.  CD, and the gigantic wait and clusterfuck surrounding it, kept people talking about Axl and GNR.  If GNR had just went away and not done anything, no one would have talked about them until reunion rumors started.  So yes, CD contributed to the GNR legacy (good or bad).

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Yes I am for real.  Axl is GNR now (in its current form).  There is a point where people need to accept that and move the fuck on or give up. 

Yes, it kept Axl in the spotlight.  And whenever people discuss Axl, GNR is also mentioned. 

You are usually a good poster, but to disagree with this is fucking ludicrous.  CD, and the gigantic wait and clusterfuck surrounding it, kept people talking about Axl and GNR.  If GNR had just went away and not done anything, no one would have talked about them until reunion rumors started.  So yes, CD contributed to the GNR legacy (good or bad).

the fact you think if it weren't for CD nobody would talk about Gn'R is what's ridiculous. If it weren't for Gn'R nobody would talk about CD more like it.  Nobody would've talked about Gn'R if there was no CD?   It's like saying if Dr. Dre wasn't planning on releaseing Detox nobody would ever talk about him either.

You asked if the new guys should get in and I say no way. If you don't like that don't ask the question.

I seem to recall Slash and Duff featuring pretty prominently in a  grammy award winning band called Velvet Revolver that ALWAYS had people referng back to Gn'R. Slash alone always has people refering back to Gn'R. To think CD is why people continued to care about Gn'R is the epitomy of living in a Gn'R online bubble dude. It really is.

Like I said I like the new band and I REALLY hope they release something new but to suggest the only reason people still talk about Gn'R is because of CD and the new guys  is insane.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

^I agree. The narrative if there was no Chinese Democracy would still be pretty much what magazines wrote about in 99. "He just... disappeared."
Chinese Democracy is completely unnecessary as far as HOF or public awareness.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Also, a silver little album called "Greatest Hits" kept GNR alive and introduced to new audience.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
russtcb wrote:
DCK wrote:

YCBM is a very hard song to sing, and as has been the norm on this tour, YCBM doesn't fit Axl's voice well. The rest of the songs does.

It's my theory that YCBM and (some nights) SCoM are kind of "voice resting" songs. Like he doesn't put everything he can into those to sort of take it easy for a tune. And if that is actually the case, I'm completely ok with it when the dude is turning in 3 hour shows every night where the rest of the performance is damn near flawless.

Russ, the show may be 3 hours, but take away all the instrumentals and jams, and tommy's song and it's more like 2 hours of him singing.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I reckon they need to cut back on instrumentals stuff. I thought it was bad enough in 2006 when seen them Everone was getting bored with it

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
russtcb wrote:
DCK wrote:

Russ, the show may be 3 hours, but take away all the instrumentals and jams, and tommy's song and it's more like 2 hours of him singing.

No need to get technical.  No one said Axl is singing for 3 straight hours.  The BAND is putting on a 3 hour show, and Axl is undoubtedly able to go stronger for the full 3 hours due to the breaks he gets during the show.  And even if he is only singing for 2 hours, how many other lead singers are even doing that these days?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gibbo wrote:

I reckon they need to cut back on instrumentals stuff. I thought it was bad enough in 2006 when seen them Everone was getting bored with it

My friends who went to the show with me actually enjoyed the covers and instrumentals and I've heard other non fanatics say the same thing.  So I'm not so sure about that.

I also agree with Saikin about CD keeping GNR in the public eye.  I made that argument a few weeks back and Bono disagreed.  We went back and forth a bit, but obviously neither of us budged so there's no need to go any further.  But I do believe it helped keep the GNR name afloat, as did Velvet Revolver and Slash remaining hugely popular.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer