You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: December 16, Key Arena- Seattle, WA

Sky Dog wrote:
smoke wrote:

GnR kicking Axl out could have easily gone the way it went for Ozzy when he got the boot.  And today, Axl would have been agreeing to the RNR HOF and anything else they asked for, as long as they met his conditions. Exactly like how Sabbath had to go by Heaven and Hell when Ozzy wasn't involved.

But the truth is, Axl could never have given up the name once the CD journey began. CD is the story of replacing a house slat by slat and brick by brick until there's nothing remaining of the original house. There was never a single point when you could point and say, "Ok, NOW that isn't GNR anymore", at least from Axl and the record company's perspective.

When Slash left, it wasn't Gnr anymore. 21 Axl should have scrapped it then.

johndivney wrote:

i fucking love sabbath & i even love some dio-sabbath (tho i love dio in other ways.. er, that sounds a bit wrong..) but ozzy wasn't to sabbath what axl was to slash-era GnR. axl was a primary creative force in the band. relatively speaking, & not to demean his input, ozzy was just the singer.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Totally agree there, on Ozzy's input. My point was more to who "won" (or could have won) in each situation.

For years after, Ozzy totally came out ahead in that exchange, regardless of who the creative forces were. In Axl's case, he could have come out even more ahead, because of his creative juice.

smoke

smoke wrote:
madagas wrote:

When Slash left, it wasn't Gnr anymore.  Axl should have scrapped it then.

Except that by then, Axl owned "GNR", and the record companies were looking for another record. Correct me if I'm wrong on my timeline, but had Axl attempted to go out on his own at that point, I think he would have had MAJOR legal problems, even for him.

Not disagreeing with you really, though. It took me til 2005 to get past the idea of a Slash-less GNR.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I think it would have been less successful than VR, to be honest.  VR was billed as a supergroup of GNR and STP.  The band would have just been billed as GNR.  And imagine someone like Scott fronting GNR....  14

yeah it would've no doubt been met with a lot of backlash but at the same time they had two legit radio hits off that album. People who normally wouldn't head out to buy an album of a  new band might've had it been a 'Guns N' Roses" abum.  It would've been just as stupid though in my opinion.  Axl-less Gn'R = lame. Would be like an Eddie Vedderless Pearl Jam. All though in a  weird way I think Eddie could pull off what Axl has been doing with much more acceptance. It'd still be met with a lot of hate but I think the public would accept it more becaue Pearl Jam doesn't have a stand out figure like Slash. Even though Mike and Stone are awesome  the average person doesnt' know who they are whereas Slash is just an instant image for people when his name is mentiond.....

faldor wrote:

I post on a Van Halen message board from time to time and a lot of people there say seem to feel that way.  They said they would have respected and supported the "Axl Rose Project", but can't and won't support any version of GNR with JUST Axl.  It's too late now of course.  I don't think it'd make a difference if he dropped the GNR name today, but it would have been different back in the day.

yeah I agree. it wouldn't make a lick of difference now but might have say ten years ago.  Who knows.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:

I don't pay much attention to crowds normally at concerts, but from the videos was anyone at that gig apart from 4 Dolphin guys and Saikin actually a GNR fan.

Crowd was lifeless.

smoke

smoke wrote:
russtcb wrote:
smoke wrote:
madagas wrote:

When Slash left, it wasn't Gnr anymore.  Axl should have scrapped it then.

Except that by then, Axl owned "GNR", and the record companies were looking for another record. Correct me if I'm wrong on my timeline, but had Axl attempted to go out on his own at that point, I think he would have had MAJOR legal problems, even for him.

Not disagreeing with you really, though. It took me til 2005 to get past the idea of a Slash-less GNR.

Wait....were YOU the reason they were on hold til the spring of 06? You wouldn't sign off on it?? 16

Heh- I may not have been the reason, but I went super "evangelical" in Jan 06. I played The Blues, TWAT, IRS leak about 200 times in a six week period, and every time I got a drink in me, went on an hour long new-GNR sermon to anyone who would (or wouldn't) listen.

I still do that part from time to time. big_smile

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I will never ever agree with someone telling someone else what they should or shouldn't do with THEIR band. There was a Slash interview where he said he asked Axl if he'd ever do a solo project and Axl said GN'R was his solo project. He agreed, and so do I.

Sky Dog wrote:

Clarify...to the general public, when Slash left, it wasn't Gnr anymore.

Board footer