You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Guns N Roses OFFICIALLY inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Well, bon jovi have never been critically acclaimed etc. Their music isn't as deep or what have u as GNR's but If i had to choose which career I'd rather have... I think I'd take Jon's

What people don't realize and what pisses me off is, Jon obviously is doing something right to still be this huge so many years later.

The fact they survived and thrived during grunge alone, should warrant induction. no one else with that style did. Even the mighty Def Leppard got buried.

Well other than GN'R.

GN'R were still incredibly popular worldwide in 1993, despite grunge being in it's zenith of popularity at that time.

The band itself dissolved because it was internally fraught, not because of grunge.

And frankly despite Jon's continued popularity... i'd still take Axl's career.

Think about it... Bon Jovi has had to bust ass to stay where they're at...

Axl Rose can play a fuckin' solo show called Guns N' Roses, and STILL fuckin' headline Rock In fuckin' Rio? With people screaming for November Rain, his last significant hit?

Granted Jon can play shows in New York, sell out, and have people screaming his name for Wanted: Dead Or Alive, but he's continued to work.

GN'R is the laziest job in the entire world, which is what makes it even more absurd that more studio material doesn't exist from them, whether old band or just Axl.

If I knew i'd still have Axl's worldwide popularity, pussy galore, and the last real album I made was in 1991, i'd feel pretty fuckin' stud.

Personally if I had to choose a career it'd be U2. I get to be The Rolling Stones of my era, retain stadium sell out crowds, yet keep all my artistic street cred as a song poet.

I'd just do it with GN'R/Pearl Jam styled attitude and songs.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The thing that bugs me about U2 is although they still make music for themselevs they do make music and realease the stuff they feel is most marketable.  I would LOVE to hear the shit they have that isn't known.  I enjoy the material u2 has released in the last decade I just think it's a shame a huge focus of theirs is to compete for airtime witht hsi generation of "artists"   

It's funny cause I'll give Axl credit for doing what he belives in artistically regardless of trends however Axl is known to chase trends  and in my opinion is probably a huge factor in why the old band just couldn't move forward. Axl wanting to be something other than Guns N' Roses and what brought them to the dance. It's liek he wanetd to be whatever was popular at the time. U2 I never felt actually chased trends as much as they knew how to adpat their style to fit in amongst current trends while remaining true to themselves. Achtung Baby for example.

Definitely U2's had the best career but in the last decade I'm starting to wonder what their career is really all about at this point. Even though I enjoy the stuff they've put out I can't help but think they have much better unreleased stuff that in their minds just doesn't "pop" on the radio so....

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I think Michael Stipe & REM ended up asking themselves the same question.

"Why should we bother with this, because we can do pretty much what we want anyway?"

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

Well, bon jovi have never been critically acclaimed etc. Their music isn't as deep or what have u as GNR's but If i had to choose which career I'd rather have... I think I'd take Jon's

What people don't realize and what pisses me off is, Jon obviously is doing something right to still be this huge so many years later.

The fact they survived and thrived during grunge alone, should warrant induction. no one else with that style did. Even the mighty Def Leppard got buried.

I'm pretty sure Jon sold his soul to the devil. That has to be it. He still looks like he's 35. Sounds like he's still 35. Still makes tons of money, and has hit records.... Just like he did when he was 35. It's insane.

I doubt The Black Crowes will get inducted, but Janes Addiction definitely will.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Is Janes Addiction big over their

AtariLegend wrote:

Not in the UK anyway, only know of 2 of their songs that get played on classic rock stations.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Janes is very respected over here. Very influential.

And I don't think Axl chased trends. I think Axl and Bono both are very open to new sounds and music and are every experimental in nature. IMO they both use it to create great music, not because it'll get them a hit record. I think they both are risk takers.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I kinda disagree Mr. ID. I think Axl chased trends to create his sound, but not necessarily to sell records.

But I do agree with the others that somewhere in the late 90's Axl lost sight of what made Guns N' Roses popular and made their sound.

There's nothing wrong with experimentation and maturing your sound (think Pearl Jam), but literally transferring from one record being a stadium hard rock band with blues-influences, to an industrial rock band in one record, was too stark a jump.

Axl's ballads show full creative effort, but it's obvious with the rockers on CD he had NO FUCKING CLUE what to do with GN'R rockers with Slash, Izzy & Duff not there to spearhead that.

There must've been some miracle from God that Axl was able to bring CD & Better together. The rest sound disjointed. Sorry is the only one that actually sounds like a "natural progression" rocker from UYI. It almost has some grunge-isms about it. I could hear Layne on it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Well, Jon said it best in their documentary. He realizes they are the Tom Cruise/Arnold Schwarzenegger of Rock bands. Huge Box Office, no acclaim/credit.

I guess Axl is such a polarizing figure, it can at times alienate fans and hurt business whereas Jon never alienated core fanbase, Comes off very humble,nice,sincere and has an amazing track record of always delivering.  Can't tell u how many dumbasses posted on my FB wall saying they hoped Axl showed up for me when he hasn't pulled a no show in a decade.

That perception becomes reality though. Axl will never shake that rep which scares off a lot of ticket buyers.

Board footer