You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Steven Adler on a Guns N' Roses Hall of Fame Reunion

Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I feel sad for Steven that he seemingly hasn't moved past 1990. He still seems MAJORLY hung up over that whole ordeal. And I think it's because he internally blames himself, then projects that onto Axl.

I agree...but then I also think he's human you know. I mean he grew up with Slash - two fucked up kids who dreamed of being rockstars..then they made it happen...then he fucked it up....honest to god I don't think I'd ever get over it either.

Especially cos I hold fault in EVERYONE in GNR...no saints in this band...so if you are steven you can spend a life time blaming yourself for your drugs, or slash for not having your back, or Axl for his ways, or managment but then you know you are a junkie...it's a headfuck.

misterID wrote:

When he talked about a "final" show instead of a reunion, that helped him out a bit.

Agreed...although as a fan...a one-off show is semi-pointless to me. What will it achieve? They will play songs they have done thousands of times before except 25 years on - and there's always the risk that the pressure causes Steve to get on drugs, or Axl's having a bad night with his new voice...or something goes wrong...making one night of anything in GNR land is risky...as you don't know which band you'll get - sometimes they're the best of all time, but other nights it just doesn't take.

I think if any reunion happens it will be one-off shows - as that way Izzy doesnt have to comit to much, Slash doesn't have to spend a lifetime worrying about how Axl may not show up, and Axl can minimise exposure in general and keep himself in the zone....but as a fan I'd love to see them record rather than do anything else....in the studio there will be none of the "maybe it wont work that night" factor...and it would create something new and timeless that's eventually far more valuable than a boot of a new show would be. But that won't happen!

Bono wrote:

I've always gotten the psuedo intellect vibe from Axl.   I'm not saying Axl's a dummy but I just dont' but this "extremely intelligent" thing that others seem to think. And given his history of how things have been dealt with I can't help but think the guy is just of average intelligence who happens to have money and  be in a position of authority surrounded by a lot of "yes men"

I dunno.. to me the way things go down in GNR land makes me wonder if he's one of those people who's insane-smart. Like in straight intelligence IQ he'd get a seriously good result, but then fails at lots of normal regular things. I have several friends like that - can't cross the street but can do advanced math, or they can write amazing things but burn down their own house because they didn't consider it was a bad idea to leave 1000 candles on while going to the movies. That sort of thing.

I guess i think in his interviews I see a person who is highly measured and analytical and particular about his meanings, and then I listen to his lyrics and for the most part I see them as quite sophisticated articticly. Sure there's the rant songs or whatever...but there's also a deep thinking and really facinating perspective that runs through GNR works...and to me it's only something that an intelligent person would write.

So to me, he's a very smart man - who also has an emotional side that causes him to sometimes act in ways that make it seem like he isn't.

But of course I don't know him...that's just what i percieve from his music and his interviews.

Agreed with the perception of Axl as being measured and analytical in his words and explanations.  Also, agreed about how his actions in the heat of the moment may color that perception for some.  That's why it's so hard to make a real assessment of someone you don't know at all, and instead only know of in bits and pieces with no personal interaction.

Ali

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I can't wait to here Adlers speech that is going to be comedy gold.  i am willing to bet $20 that he thanks Dr Drew 16

14 for sure he will along the lines of "I also need to say thanks to Dr. Drew because if it weren't for him I literally would not be here and by here I mean alive"

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I feel sad for Steven that he seemingly hasn't moved past 1990. He still seems MAJORLY hung up over that whole ordeal. And I think it's because he internally blames himself, then projects that onto Axl.

The only reason Steven suddenly turned on Axl is because he just broke bread with Slash a couple days ago, and obviously the Rock Hall thing came up, Eddie Trunk, TMS, and the current situation, and it's obvious that Slash & Steven want badly for the whole thing to come together.

I frankly don't know WHAT THE FUCK Steven is talking about in regards to Axl's response on the Hall. What I remember, granted I wasn't a drummer in Guns N' Roses (at least I don't remember the period from 1997-1999, so maybe), but what I do know is Axl told Eddie, If the Rock Hall was good enough for Elton John, it was good enough for him.

GN'R are not a Sex Pistols-type of band who will tell the Hall to bug off. Most likely Pearl Jam will do it too.

Something tells me that if Axl in his good spirits came out tomorrow and said "wow that's wonderful, i'll be first in line, hope Slash is there!! xoxo luv Axl" on his Twitter... Steven would be sucking Axl's cock in seconds.

I agree pretty much with what your'e saying, except for not the Pearl jam thing. I may have taken this the wrong way but are you saying PJ would snub the RRHOF ala the Sex Pistols or they'd go in like Gn'R? I think they'd go in. If it's good enough for Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young I think Pearl Jam will go in and accept it graciously. They are going in for sure at some point.

Eddie has inducted people into the HALL (The Ramones and REM) so I don't think they would have a problem going in.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think PJ has changed their outlook on mainstream success in recent years

they are def not your 1992 PJ anymore thats for sure

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Eddie has inducted people into the HALL (The Ramones and REM) so I don't think they would have a problem going in.

agreed

Neemo wrote:

i think PJ has changed their outlook on mainstream success in recent years

they are def not your 1992 PJ anymore thats for sure

Also agreed. I totally respect Peral Jam for what they tried to do early in their career and to an extent it really helped them but over tiem they were figtng the industry on their own. No other band really joined them in their fight against Ticketmaster or any of that stuff and eventually they probably felt it wasn't something they could ever win

By shunnng the whole music video era basically it allowed them to pretty much play anything they wanted night after night and I don't think ther is a band that changes up their set as much as Pearl Jam do on a  nightly basis so in that regard going against  mainstrem music "protocol" I think it helped them and allowed them the freedom to do what they want.  they never had to feel obligated to play anything that MTV had in heavy rotation because they never released anything to MTV.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The only reason Steven suddenly turned on Axl is because he just broke bread with Slash a couple days ago, and obviously the Rock Hall thing came up, Eddie Trunk, TMS, and the current situation, and it's obvious that Slash & Steven want badly for the whole thing to come together.

I frankly don't know WHAT THE FUCK Steven is talking about in regards to Axl's response on the Hall. What I remember, granted I wasn't a drummer in Guns N' Roses (at least I don't remember the period from 1997-1999, so maybe), but what I do know is Axl told Eddie, If the Rock Hall was good enough for Elton John, it was good enough for him.

GN'R are not a Sex Pistols-type of band who will tell the Hall to bug off. Most likely Pearl Jam will do it too.

Something tells me that if Axl in his good spirits came out tomorrow and said "wow that's wonderful, i'll be first in line, hope Slash is there!! xoxo luv Axl" on his Twitter... Steven would be sucking Axl's cock in seconds.

I agree pretty much with what your'e saying, except for not the Pearl jam thing. I may have taken this the wrong way but are you saying PJ would snub the RRHOF ala the Sex Pistols or they'd go in like Gn'R? I think they'd go in. If it's good enough for Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young I think Pearl Jam will go in and accept it graciously. They are going in for sure at some point.

As for Steven I think you're totally right about him holding onto being kicked out and given what's on the line or his state of mind on any given day his opinions will reflect that.   I can see why the guy would feel the way he does, although it's not healthy to hang onto shit for so long but he did wake up one day being kicked out of the best rock band ever.  And given his state he probably never saw it coming and probably coudln't comprehend it all that well at the time. I'd imagine as the years passed more and more regret over the situation built up for him.  And the things with addicts is the biggest thing that inhibits them from ever moving forward is regret and resentment.

You might be right. I think PJ will be first ballot, like GN'R.

But it just depends on the mood in the band at any given time. And you're right on the Neil Young thing. Neil Young & Bruce Springsteen is their "Elton John & Led Zeppelin" for GN'R.

But at the same time, nothing would be more throwback grunge, fuck the establishment than to do that...

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

they never had to feel obligated to play anything that MTV had in heavy rotation because they never released anything to MTV.

I remember a video for Jeremy being played to death.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:

That was a great read.

I really hope he gets to do one final show with the other 4 guys.

Time will tell.

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

they never had to feel obligated to play anything that MTV had in heavy rotation because they never released anything to MTV.

I remember a video for Jeremy being played to death.

Ummmm... yeah and then what? No videos from Vs, no videos from Vitalogy, no videos from No Code, one animated video from Yield, I don't believe they released any videos from Riot Act or Binaural,  none from the self titled album and only now with Backspacer have they released official music videos so I'll stand by my point that they shunned the MTV format and thus were never obligated to play anything that was in heavy rotation on MTV. Of course there were the three videos from Ten but from that point on Pearl Jam really had nothing to do with MTV in terms of making music videos and promoting their music via that avenue.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i would be willing to bet that PJ, AIC, SG and Nirvana all get in on first ballot ... PJ and Nirvana for sure

Board footer