You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Steven Adler on a Guns N' Roses Hall of Fame Reunion

AtariLegend wrote:

I don't think Soundgarden that important outside of North America, compared to Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I'd say they're Stone Temple Pilots level with Alice In Chains only slighty ahead air-play wise.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam = Way, way ahead to my generation.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I agree but didnt want to hurt the feelings of all the Cornhole fans around here 16

boneshj
 Rep: 4 

boneshj wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I don't think Soundgarden that important outside of North America, compared to Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I'd say they're Stone Temple Pilots level with Alice In Chains only slighty ahead air-play wise.

I think Alice In Chains are a little underestimated in their influence on music.  Many metal bands through the late 90s and 00s cite AIC as a large influence (kind of like Faith No More).  I agree that only Nirvana and PJ have a real chance at first ballot entries, but I think Alice in Chains has a lot of potential to get in there within a couple tries. 

I don't think Soundgarden is a real consideration for first ballot but we should find out shortly as they'd be eligible in the next year or two I think. 

You never know HHOF may decide to induct AIC/PJ/Soundgarden all together in 2016 as the publicity of an "all-grunge" induction would be significant.  Also, since all the guys in each band are good friends it would be quite a show, with guys swapping spots all over the place.  I don't include Nirvana here as they have a real good chance at getting in earlier on there own.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i would be willing to bet that PJ, AIC, SG and Nirvana all get in on first ballot ... PJ and Nirvana for sure

Hmmmm... I don't know. Peal Jam and Nirvana for sure.  Not sure the other two are 1st ballot inductees though.  Soundgarden was way more popular than AIC back in the day in my nexk of the woods but these days I hear way more AIC on radio so. I think Soungarden's popularity has dimisnished over the years where as AIC has gained in popularity. They seem more appreciated now looking back than they were during their time.

Bono

Bono wrote:
boneshj wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I think Alice In Chains are a little underestimated in their influence on music.  Many metal bands through the late 90s and 00s cite AIC as a large influence (kind of like Faith No More).  I agree that only Nirvana and PJ have a real chance at first ballot entries, but I think Alice in Chains has a lot of potential to get in there within a couple tries. 

I don't think Soundgarden is a real consideration for first ballot but we should find out shortly as they'd be eligible in the next year or two I think. 

You never know HHOF may decide to induct AIC/PJ/Soundgarden all together in 2016 as the publicity of an "all-grunge" induction would be significant.  Also, since all the guys in each band are good friends it would be quite a show, with guys swapping spots all over the place.  I don't include Nirvana here as they have a real good chance at getting in earlier on there own.

I think Pearl Jam has just as good a chance as Nirvana.  PJ has legitimately becom one fo those classic American bands. Nirvana is classic but they are not one of those "Classic American bands" if tat makes sense. Also Pearl Jam has the whole anti estblishment fight thing they ahd in the 90's going for them. It's part of their legacy which means them going into the RRHOF has appeal I think.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

they never had to feel obligated to play anything that MTV had in heavy rotation because they never released anything to MTV.

I remember a video for Jeremy being played to death.

Ummmm... yeah and then what? No videos from Vs, no videos from Vitalogy, no videos from No Code, one animated video from Yield, I don't believe they released any videos from Riot Act or Binaural,  none from the self titled album and only now with Backspacer have they released official music videos so I'll stand by my point that they shunned the MTV format and thus were never obligated to play anything that was in heavy rotation on MTV. Of course there were the three videos from Ten but from that point on Pearl Jam really had nothing to do with MTV in terms of making music videos and promoting their music via that avenue.

Yeah after "Jeremy" they said they were done making videos, and they stuck to that pretty much like you mentioned.

I'm sort of surprised Pearl Jam has stayed so popular over the years, even as they tried their best to shy away from the mainstream.  You think that'd detract fans.  But I've seen them twice play to massive crowds, and their fans are as dedicated as they come.  I guess that's because they treat their fans so well.  That can go a long way.

And Neemo's right, about PJ changing their tune recently.  I watched that Pearl Jam documentary, well most of it, and they go over all that stuff.  It's a great documentary if anyone has a chance to see it.  I was fully engrossed, but I couldn't finish it in one sitting and I haven't gone back to it yet.  Saving it for a rainy day.  I used to be a huge Pearl Jam fan, but I guess they lost me when they stopped trying to be so popular.  I've gotten back into them recently though.  Great band.  And I think they'll accept an induction to the Hall greatly.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

My brothers a die hard Pearl Jam fan, I find them a bit bland. But I wish GNR released as much quality merchandise as they do, seems like every week he's getting deliveries of new vinyl cd's and dvd's  hmm

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Pearl Jam absolutely may be the most overrated band of all time.

I love and i do mean LOVE about 8 songs but I have Sirius and listened to that Pearl Jam channel and holy fuck most of their shit is unlistenable.. boring..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nirvana would be the most overrated band of all time, sir. Without question.

Neemo wrote:

i would be willing to bet that PJ, AIC, SG and Nirvana all get in on first ballot ... PJ and Nirvana for sure

Pearl Jam & Nirvana will get in on the first ballot. No doubt. I think it makes the most sense to do that. 'Cause you know the Hall will be begging for a mega performance that just merges Pearl Jam with Nirvana, where basically see a Pearl Jam with Dave Grohl on drums and a Krist as a special guest, having Eddie up front singing Nirvana songs. Vocally he's the better option for Nirvana songs than Cornell.

It's hard to think sometimes, but of the whole bigger Seattle acts, 60% of the vocalists are dead. Andy, Kurt, Layne... it's weird when you think about it like that.

As for Alice In Chains, they'll get in imo, but it'll take a few tries.

Soundgarden will never get in imo. And it'll piss alot of people off. They'll join the list of bands like KISS & Rush & Heart who aren't in.

Regardless of what Bono heard on the radio, Soundgarden was always pulling up the rear in America, behind Pearl Jam, AIC & especially Nirvana.

Badmotorfinger was their best record, and it gets swallowed up by a year that saw Nevermind & Ten be dropped. Not to mention, UYI I & II, and the Black album. Both Guns N' Roses & Metallica being Hall members.

*man it feels WEIRD to say that* Makes 'ya feel old.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Regardless of what Bono heard on the radio, Soundgarden was always pulling up the rear in America, behind Pearl Jam, AIC & especially Nirvana.

Only in America my friend. Soungaden was light years ahead of Alice in Chains here in Canada terms of popularity.

Could be the same type of situation that exists with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam is, was and always will be way more popular than Nirvana ever was here. The same goes for Soundgarden when compared to Alice in Chains.  To be fair though Canada is a big country so who knows what the weirdos out east thought 16

Board footer