You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Corey Taylor bashes Scott Weiland

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

My lifetime he is top 10-15 easy

How old are you? Scott's a fucking joke IMHO.

I fall in the middle. Top 10-15? Oh lordy lord no. A fucking joke? Not so much either.

Like I said earlier, if you're ranking JUST his genre, I'd throw Ed, Kurt, Layne, Shannon and Chris before him. And again, that's just from his actual couple year reign as relevant. When you thrown him in "the whole history of Rock" he's going to come up somewhere around 150-200, IMO.

In D's defense, he did say, in HIS LIFETIME,  not in the whole history of Rock.

D just turned 33, happy birthday D!  So he's saying Scott is top 10-15 over the last 33 years.  Now I'm not sure the exact parameters.  Guys who debuted prior to 1979 are not eligible?  That would take Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, etc., etc. out of consideration.  So you're basically talking 80's and 90's.

And by the way, I agree Corey looks like a douche for his comments.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Y'know, if Scott wants to do a Christmas album I have no issue with that. Maybe he feels very nostalgic about Christmases past, I know I do. If there's some honest feeling in the music, then it's alright by me.

And I'll be interested to see what develops out of the VR mini-reunion. An interesting time for GN'R fans, with the HOF and the random VR reunion…

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

prolly one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) lyricists of the 90's

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

To me the Scott bashing, is people using it as an excuse to cover up their disapointed with VR the bands material. Ignoring that he wasn't the only one that wrote and performed on those songs.

That's probably true to an extent. But at the same time...while I'm a VR fan - much of what troubles me about VR seems to come from scott. Some of his songs are great but simply have too many repetitions in the verses.

For example, both "Fall to Pieces" and "Big Machine" are like this - parts of the song are good but by the end I'm like "I get it already". Great lyrics but simply too many repeats - I also find it in some STP songs - for example "Dead and Bloated" - fantastic song - but 5 mins with very little changes it could go like 3 or 4 and not loose anything but another repeat. Love the song though.

Another problem with VR is the minimal slash solos - perhaps that was slash's fault not scotts - but I have got the impression from comments slash has made about writing with him, and scott's own comments on writing that they didn't really see eye to eye.

Anyway I liked Contraband, but Core is a classic to me and has more really good tracks than both VR albums combined.

wow...i really differ on that one...but it's just personal taste....although I love Sex Type Thing, Dead and Bloated and Crackerman...so it's a strong album..for sure. But overall there's probably

Meanwhile libertad is weak in a lot of respects, but I always thought if you make one setlist out of contraband and libertad's best tracks it starts to get pretty cool. 

I guess I agree with Duff's comments that as a unit they're yet to write their best work...so to a degree you're probably right that people blame scott too much.

But then Slash and Duff together has a magic sound, and for all that most GNR fans don't like him Matt is a bad ass drummer....given it's 3/5 of GNR I can't get past the idea that with the right additions VR could become the greatest band around...so that's why I'm so critical of scott - he's actually an awesome musician...but he's not the guy that's going to make them the next Led Zep...but then to be fair - i guess no one but 1980s axl would!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I hear what you're saying, but that's kinda my point. I'm saying that even if you take only Scott's window of relevancy (which is about 2 years IMO) you're still looking at him coming in 6th at the very highest. Some might even argue Evan Dando, Thom Yorke, Dave Pirner and others could still be ranked over him.

Think you might be getting carried away there...and to make my point...let me display my ignorance and say I don't know who the hell half of those people are..and I had heard of scott before VR.

Still...I'd put Scott on par with guys like Chris Cornel (tho cornell has better chops) and Eddie Vedder as the 1990s rock frontmen - and to a lesser extent Kurt Cobain (he's a bit different given he martyred himself to rock).

I guess my issue with Scott comes down to that I think he can write an awesome Ballad. As his soft voice is very beautiful. Songs like "Creep" from STP are amazing, and he can do a rocker to a point like "Sex type Thing" but there's a limit on how much passion he can do...as he just doesn't have a voice you can push into a scream or a high note or whatever....it's not his style....whereas guys like Cornell can go nuts like in "Slaves and Bulldozers" or Axl's twat screams....so like while I think scott is cool - there's kind of only one musical place it can go with him. So for me he's not the guy.

Still - if Christmas is special to him then he shouldn't be bashed for doing christmas songs.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

i actually got into a row w/evan dando @ one of his concerts a couple of yrs back. he asked me to leave from the stage then jumped off & into the crowd to accost me.

it all started innocently enough. the concert was p dull but i was still happy having a good time w/the people i was there with. then my mate says, "is he wearing a GnR tshirt?"
& of course i was too stoned & drunk to think clearly - there's no way evan dando would be sporting a GnR tshirt. BUT it did look suspiciously like some of the one's GnR had onsale during their '06 tour. (it was actually a You Am I tshirt).
& it comes to the bit in the gig where dando plats an acoustic set. so me being an unfunny idiot i shouted out a request for Patience!
he misheard me & took instant offence. started saying to me from the stage to get out. all i could do was laugh.
this made him more pissed off. he jumped off the stage & came into the crowd trying to find me. i found him wrapped my arm round him incase he was gonna try start something & explained to him my mistake.
he changed in an instant again & was suddenly cool. he got back onstage & explained he thought i was saying "play songs". he played a few bars of Patience before stopping saying 'that's all i know sorry' & went on with his set.

a friend of mine worked security @ the gig & said he was p high on coke. so i figured it was just a bad mixture me w/guiness&weed him & his coke & whatever.

but it all worked out fine in the end.

i didn't go to either of his belfast shows since then tho.
& i have stopped heckling performers. for the most part. depends on how drunk i am really.
or if i'm at a football game.
but there's difference there as i care & didn't really care for evan dando as i was really there to see the support band that night. tho i do like a lot of dando's work as a lemonhead & solo, it was due to the icarus line opening that i really went.

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Anyway I liked Contraband, but Core is a classic to me and has more really good tracks than both VR albums combined.

wow...i really differ on that one...but it's just personal taste....although I love Sex Type Thing, Dead and Bloated and Crackerman...so it's a strong album..for sure. But overall there's probably !

Wicked Garden is cool too. Should say though I'm not to knowing about the other albums, but having bought a best of from STP, I'm not too interested in anything from them not on that album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

prolly one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) lyricists of the 90's

That's how I pretty much reacted to that to.

Weiland's STP material is lightyears about his crummy VR material, but Weiland isn't even the best lyricist among his peers.

Then again, I was never a big Cobain fan either, which Neemo seems to dig. I thought Cobain was a poet, but I thought Axl just slammed him into the dirt.

In terms of grunge, i'd rank Eddie Vedder & Chris Cornell in an entirely different universe than anybody among their peers. I think Cantrell is better than Weiland & Cobain, but then again that might be showing a little bias.

elevendayempire wrote:

I'd cheerfully gnaw off my own arm to hear the Corey/VR album - it's more interesting to me than the other tracks from the Chinese Democracy sessions.

For my money, the only two frontmen VR should be considering are Corey and Chester Bennington. Good as Weiland is, VR need someone with a bigger vocal range. And it's hugely frustrating to me that the stars haven't aligned properly for either of those line-ups to happen.

I've said it over and over...

Corey = THE CHOICE

Slash blew it. Corey "isn't the choice for the future of VR", but I guarantee you if Duff greenlighted Myles, Myles would be VR's official singer tomorrow, and Myles fuckin' BLOWS, although I will say Myles songs on Slash 2010 are some of the stronger tunes on that album.

I guarantee you, not just think, guarantee you all of these naysayers that a Corey-VR album would be better than anything they've ever put out.

Board footer