You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Corey Taylor bashes Scott Weiland

Neemo wrote:

to defend my statemnt i am talking about scotts material in STP from Core, Purple and Tiny Music and select tracks from his solos stuff, No4and shangri-la

i realize his VR stuff for the most part is pretty out there...in fact whne his heroin addiction got out of control is when his lyrical content became suspect

but 2st 3 albums are fucking brilliant lyrically

and yes i put Conbain closely behind lyrically...and hoon for that matter

my opinion ... sue me

I really like PJ and AIC too...and i will admit that cornell has some brilliant lyrical moments as well

AXL has some cool stuff but some cheese too but yeah he is in my tops too obviously

Lomax wrote:

I get Scotts lyrics so much when I'm drunk or a little high but when I sober up they are a pile of shit again.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I never liked Cobain's lyrics. The guy had great attitude. To me those songs were just about throwing on the distortion, yelling and going nuts...wouldn't have mattered what you swapped the lyrics with in most instances (one or two expections aside). I loved Nirvana back in the day, but sure not because of the lyrics.

Axlin12 wrote:

Slash blew it. Corey "isn't the choice for the future of VR", but I guarantee you if Duff greenlighted Myles, Myles would be VR's official singer tomorrow, and Myles fuckin' BLOWS, although I will say Myles songs on Slash 2010 are some of the stronger tunes on that album.

Yeah but does Myles blow on the VR tracks or just GNR? Is the displeasure for him comming from a VR track or after he did civil war or brownstone? I've heard him sing "Sucker Train Blues", "Slither", "Dirty Little Thing" and didn't think there was a problem...especially when as much as I love scott when on drugs his live voice wasn't exactly studio material either.

So then add in that myles tracks with slash were amongst the strongest on the album (although I also love Ghost, By the Sword and a couple of others) and I think he'd have done the job pretty well. Although I'll grant you he has the mild mannered demeanour of a guitarist, he lacks frontman stage charisma even though he has the vocal chops in spades.

But it's not to be. The real issue IMO is that slash has unofficially quit VR. Sure he's not quit..but he is putting all his time into his solo project. I mean once this next album is out - that's then like another year of touring behind that...

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I hear what you're saying, but that's kinda my point. I'm saying that even if you take only Scott's window of relevancy (which is about 2 years IMO) you're still looking at him coming in 6th at the very highest. Some might even argue Evan Dando, Thom Yorke, Dave Pirner and others could still be ranked over him.

Dave Pirner over Scott?? How?

Guys who debuted after i was born ahead of Scott:

no particular order

Axl,Jon Bon Jovi, Vedder *although I prefer Scott, Cobain, Cornell *Although I prefer Scott*

Thats all I will give u unless I am omitting someone big time.

I'm curious how many hold a grudge against Scott for his huge insults of Axl.

My fave argument is when people think they have the pulse of the world... Ask someone on the street who Scott Weiland is and blah blah blah.. thats irrelevant cause u don't know that. U don't know every person walking the street and who they do or don't know.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
johndivney wrote:

itt there was only 1 person "bashed" scott. tejastech08 said he thought he was a joke.*

if anything, it was scotts fans who "bashed" other people (which seems to be the way of this board, people can't praise with having to shit on other people by comparison.)
D said Reznor did some shitty stuff w his GF, yet i believe he won an oscar & more for this shitty stuff. why is a #1 record worth more to D than an Oscar or whatever awards Reznor won for his shitty work?? that's what i'd like to know.

i lol'd @ D's suggestion Weiland was an icon because it's preposterous. ask the average guy on the street who scott weiland is & they'll have NO  clue, or if you're lucky they'll know him as the moron who kept getting busted for drugs. that's his level of fame. yet D puts upon him ICON status?! like he's Ghandi or Michael Jackson or Elvis. an all time great?! OMG! yea hank williams, the beatles, stones, neil young, dylan, scott weiland...

* well actually i kinda laughed at him as well for releasing a chimble album. but pulling that shit deserves being laughed at.
fwiw i tend to agree w tejastech08. thought STP were p risible & thought both VR albums p weak.

I love Trent, don't get me wrong.. just saying, that shit with his GF sucks. Loved his Social network score.

Year Zero is one of the most brilliant albums I've heard ever.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I never liked Cobain's lyrics. The guy had great attitude. To me those songs were just about throwing on the distortion, yelling and going nuts...wouldn't have mattered what you swapped the lyrics with in most instances (one or two expections aside). I loved Nirvana back in the day, but sure not because of the lyrics.

Axlin12 wrote:

Slash blew it. Corey "isn't the choice for the future of VR", but I guarantee you if Duff greenlighted Myles, Myles would be VR's official singer tomorrow, and Myles fuckin' BLOWS, although I will say Myles songs on Slash 2010 are some of the stronger tunes on that album.

Yeah but does Myles blow on the VR tracks or just GNR? Is the displeasure for him comming from a VR track or after he did civil war or brownstone? I've heard him sing "Sucker Train Blues", "Slither", "Dirty Little Thing" and didn't think there was a problem...especially when as much as I love scott when on drugs his live voice wasn't exactly studio material either.

So then add in that myles tracks with slash were amongst the strongest on the album (although I also love Ghost, By the Sword and a couple of others) and I think he'd have done the job pretty well. Although I'll grant you he has the mild mannered demeanour of a guitarist, he lacks frontman stage charisma even though he has the vocal chops in spades.

But it's not to be. The real issue IMO is that slash has unofficially quit VR. Sure he's not quit..but he is putting all his time into his solo project. I mean once this next album is out - that's then like another year of touring behind that...

Yes you're right. I remember hearing Myles sing the VR tracks live, as well as the Snakepit songs and thought that the Snakepit songs were the BEST they ever sounded, some of which were better than their studio originals. Songs like Mean Bone were reborn on that tour.

I also thought Fall To Pieces had never, ever sounded better. Myles version IS the version of that song imo. Loved that little acoustic cut that was put on Slash's Deluxe Edition too!

So maybe i'm being unfair to Myles when I say "he blows". He blows on the GN'R tracks.

I still like Corey Taylor better.

johndivney wrote:
russtcb wrote:
-D- wrote:

My fave argument is when people think they have the pulse of the world... Ask someone on the street who Scott Weiland is and blah blah blah.. thats irrelevant cause u don't know that. U don't know every person walking the street and who they do or don't know.

A) I wasn't talking about The Man On The Street, I was talking about music fans..

i said about the man on the street, in reference to the preposterous claims of weilands iconic status.

& i don't believe it's an unfair assumption on my part. i know in my circle of friends & family the vast majority of them would be "who?" & the few that would know him aren't overly concerned with his output & are more likely to laugh @ his drug busts & silly behaviour. (i actually asked one of my mates after reading this thread a few days ago, a guy who grew up w/grunge music, if he knew scott weiland - he didn't have a clue! & this guy was first in line to buy Pearl Jam tickets when they played Belfast, to give you an example of his intensity. when i first met him we spent half an hour making puns from Alice in Chains songs to kill time in work. yet he doesn't recognise the name scott weiland lol!). i am as sure as sure can be if i stopped a 100 people on the street in Belfast NONE would know who scott weiland is.

now if you ask people about TRUE icons, they will know.
it's a p simple test.
do you know who martin luther king is?
do you know who scott weiland is?

it's ridiculous to suggest scott is an icon when you compare him to truly iconic people.

& ftr - i couldn't care less who insults axl. nirvana & kurt cobain are one of my all time favourites, so is slash for that matter.
i don't care about scott or stp or VR as i think they're derivative & boring & offered absolutely nothing new, fresh or original. they were all pointless. it has nothing to do with whether he likes axl fucking rose or not. hell most of the time i don't like axl.

& also, fwiw, i do have the pulse of the world.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Tbh, right now the only names people instantly recognize from grunge (in my neck of the woods), is Kurt Cobain & Eddie Vedder.

That's it.

Now if you say 'Axl Rose', everyone perks up and knows immediately who you're talking about. Even grandmothers.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

When it comes to well-known contemporary rock vocalists, the top seats are still with names like Jagger, Osborne, Tyler, Rose.

Considering how brief GNR heyday ultimately was (seven years in between signing to Geffen and touring the stadiums of the world), it's mighty impressive.

Board footer