You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Corey Taylor bashes Scott Weiland

monkeychow wrote:

Had a listen to sucker train blues this morning...VR were a great band. If Slash had solo'd more on that album the way he does now on the Slash album I think most people would be heavily into VR. He was just under-used for the average GNR fan's preference.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

U know.. Everyone always shits on my opinions and gives me the whole "Chart position etc don't count or mean shit speech, but FUCK it. Im gonna give it to u anyway:

Number 1 Rock Singles in US:
STP 7
PJ 3

I'd take STP any day over PJ. PJ have about 10 songs that I absolutely love but my God their filler is the most God awful unlistenable shit..... PJ radio on Sirius.. listened for a weeek or so and holy shit, just terrible stuff.

-D-

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Had a listen to sucker train blues this morning...VR were a great band. If Slash had solo'd more on that album the way he does now on the Slash album I think most people would be heavily into VR. He was just under-used for the average GNR fan's preference.

I still don't agree with that.

I think if everyone went back and listened to this album with fresh ears.. They'd realize Slash does a shit load more than most remember.

People have blown shit up like its a Metallica St Anger type thing but he still does kick ass solos on every song.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

U know.. Everyone always shits on my opinions and gives me the whole "Chart position etc don't count or mean shit speech, but FUCK it. Im gonna give it to u anyway:

Number 1 Rock Singles in US:
STP 7
PJ 3

I'd take STP any day over PJ. PJ have about 10 songs that I absolutely love but my God their filler is the most God awful unlistenable shit..... PJ radio on Sirius.. listened for a weeek or so and holy shit, just terrible stuff.

I dont' know for sure but I'm guessing Creed had more #1 singles than PJ as well. All you gotta do is look at Pearl Jam's greatest hits album Rearview Mirror to see how amazing they are. And "filler" is subjective to the listener.  Pearl Jam has dozens of absolute classic tunes whether rock radio acknowledge them or not.  They blow STP outta ther water. In terms of quality music, influence and legacy.  Funny how you managed to listen to "terrible stuff" for a week or so. I usually turn terrible music off right away.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Tried giving them a chance hoping I'd find another gem like Man of The Hour or Yellow Ledbetter or The End or Come Back or something like that....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I still don't agree with that.

I think if everyone went back and listened to this album with fresh ears.. They'd realize Slash does a shit load more than most remember.

People have blown shit up like its a Metallica St Anger type thing but he still does kick ass solos on every song.

I like STP, but Pearl Jam is the better band.

I'll throw some more useless stats your way since you brought it up.

Ten - Billboard end of the decade chart #14, reached #2 on the Billboard 200
Core - Billboard end of the decade chart #93, reached #3 on the Billboard 200

Vs - Billboard end of the decade chart #46, reached #1 in 7 countries, had 6 singles chart
Purple - Billboard end of the decade chart #99, reached #1 in 2 countries, had 5 singles chart

Vitalogy - Billboard end of the decade chart #76, reached #1 in 4 countries, had 6 singles chart
Tiny Music - Didn't make the top 200 of the decade list, peaked at #4 on the Billboard 200, had 4 singles chart

No Code - reached #1 in 5 countries
No. 4 - peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200

Yield - reached #2 on the Billboard 200, reached #1 in 3 countries
Shangri-La Dee Da - reached #9 on the Billboard 200

Backspacer - reached #1 on the Billboard 200, and 5 other countries as well, year end chart #172
Stone Temple Pilots - reached #2 on the Billboard 200.  Did not make top 200 year end chart

-D-

-D- wrote:

7-3

harder writing number 1 rock hits IMO

Plus scott way more diverse

and please don't bring up the shit ukulele album of Vedder.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Ukulele Songs is a wonderful album.  As is Into the Wild.  As is everything Pearl Jam.  Far superior band.  This is coming from a huge STP fan. 

Scott is the more interesting front man however. 

Anyone else see the recent Corey Taylor interview where he says VR needs a "good-time Axl Rose" and he could be that for them?

What a fucking ego on this guy. 

And seriously... funny shit.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

7-3

harder writing number 1 rock hits IMO

Plus scott way more diverse

and please don't bring up the shit ukulele album of Vedder.

Sorry dude but this 7-3 you talk about as proof of a better band just falls flat. Incredibly flat. Regardless of what songs went #1 the fact is Pearl Jam have way more well known and classic songs than STP.  And the day Scott releases a solo album half as good as Eddie's Into the Wild album is the day hell freezes over.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Gents,
None of you are wrong. People just hear things differently and buy accordingly, its not a real measure of quality. The quality of music is a personal perception and no amount of arguing will change that.

I love STP and as I get older I am finding that even within their body of work my tastes are changing as I move to embrace Shangri La rather than Core.

Its like my journey with GNR, right now I am in the middle of loving their epics and avoiding their hits..Breakdown..Coma..Estranged..TWAT..they are doing it for me whereas I just cannot sit through SCOM.

I know that I'll change again in a year or so..

Board footer