You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Corey Taylor bashes Scott Weiland

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

7-3

harder writing number 1 rock hits IMO

Plus scott way more diverse

and please don't bring up the shit ukulele album of Vedder.

Well, first off Pearl Jam actually had 6 singles reach #1.

Brother #1 on the Alternative chart
Daughter #1 on both the Alternative and Mainstream Rock
Better Man #1 Mainstream Rock
Who You Are #1 Alternative chart
Given to Fly #1 Mainstream Rock
Worldwide Suicide #1 Alternative chart

And I think most could agree they have MANY better songs than those even.

By your rationale, both bands are far superior to Guns N' Roses, who only had ONE #1 song.

And I'm not sure how Scott is way more diverse than Eddie.  People used to call him a Vedder clone.

was goin by Rock Chart. GNR had overall top 200 number 1.. way different animal.

STP have classic great stuff that consistently is overlooked.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

7-3

harder writing number 1 rock hits IMO

Plus scott way more diverse

and please don't bring up the shit ukulele album of Vedder.

By your rationale, both bands are far superior to Guns N' Roses, who only had ONE #1 song.

And I'm not sure how Scott is way more diverse than Eddie.  People used to call him a Vedder clone.

was goin by Rock Chart. GNR had overall top 200 number 1.. way different animal.

No doubt, I love STP.  Just pointing out, you can't compare bands by going to the charts.  It's a losing battle, and you can spin things a million different ways to fit your argument.

Just wondering, do you have a distaste for most grunge music, or is it strictly just Pearl Jam?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

That's kinda how i've always felt.

For Axl, the actual popularized one that stopped performing in 1993-94, with as small as a discography and time frame they released it in, it's stunning that Axl & Slash held and still continue to hold the "Rock Gods" status they do.

I don't know of any similar situation, other than Cobain.

And Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, etc. Dying young tends to immortalize you if you put out enough good material in the first place. Ironically, I think GN'R has a similar "myth" quality to it because the band essentially flamed out just as quick as the likes of Cobain or Hendrix. It says a hell of a lot that GN'R could sell 100 million records with only 5 years of material when they had such a "street rat" appearance compared to most bands of the time, very edgy sound, and were constantly pushing the limits of controversy (Parental Advisory/censorship, supposed homophobia/racism, riots, etc.). Less talented bands wouldn't get away with the shit GN'R did and still sell so many records.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It shows that audiences were starving for something real, and not bubblegum slick at the time. That's why I always laugh when people (Cobain) looked at GN'R as "corporate rock". LMAO, Nirvana was the prime example of corporate-created teen angst. Their first album was a total dud, and Nevermind got a massive push to be popular. Pearl Jam on the other hand were called "sellouts" with Ten and too slick, yet Pearl Jam were probably the 'real deal' of the grunge bands, and other bands like Soundgarden & Alice In Chains had been around awhile fine honing their sound, aching for a breakthrough. It took Man In The Box two years to get some heat, and yet we look back on that as a radio-ready grunge.

GN'R didn't get the same treatment at all for AFD, yet still found a way to catch fire. We look at Jungle as one of the greats (I think it did make a list for best hard rock song of all-time on a VH1 show), and yet GN'R had to release in three times before it ever caught.

I re-watched the GN'R Vegas 2011 show with a friend the other night, then plugged in Ritz '88. The difference was VAST between the two. The friend even commented how the original GN'R "they're terrible", in a joking way. And the friend was right. The Ritz '88 show (which we and music fans consider a classic performance), was terrible in comparison. The AFD band was out of key, fucking up constantly, Axl's vocals were too pushed, they were not slick or refined AT ALL, which made the 2011 GN'R look even more polished and technically proficient.

Here's the thing

The Ritz '88 was RIGHT though. As I told the friend, who had to leave... just watch one more... and I played him Paradise City. The friend was blown away, and I said "just that performance of PC alone is why they're going into the Hall of Fame". 1986-90 GN'R was a "glorious fuckup" to end all fuck ups. Sleaze rock which taught grunge rock what to be. The best garage band in the world, while Nirvana members were still playing Spaced Invaders at the local 7-Eleven.

As I told the friend, it was even more STUNNING that those guys even are LIVING to see it happen. It's stunning they even got an LP AND an EP out of them. I'm shocked they even got ONE.

The friend was unaware, but as I explained, I said "you see that guy and that guy?" "yes", "that's Izzy, Steven & Slash. As soon as that show was over I guarantee you they scrambled to go shoot up. Duff over there got obscenely drunk, and Axl was probably the cleanest and yet the craziest. Could've easily committed suicide at any given moment if something rubbed him the wrong way"

The friend was stunned.

It's flat out amazing Guns N' Roses ever existed. By all logic, they should've all been dead by 1990.

P.S.

and for old time's sake... THIS BAND actually is living to see a Hall induction -- huh?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

It is definitely amazing to see them all still alive after all the shit they put themselves through. Axl should have committed suicide at some point with his bipolar disorder and booze/coke habit. Duff should have died from alcohol poisoning. Slash, Izzy, and Steven should have all died from heroin overdoses. And yet, there is no doubt in my mind that their music wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful if they DIDN'T live on the edge.

And you are absolutely right about the hypocritical "corporate rock" garbage from grunge fans. Nirvana was on the same label as GN'R for fuck's sake. Geffen had to grab MTV by the balls and demand that they play WTTJ at 5 in the morning. Prior to that, the video was banned because of the graphic content. It took a year for Appetite to really explode when SCOM came out. What I love about Ritz '88 is it was in their club days when you could see the intensity and desire. It was before they hit it big. The band was just oozing intensity, attitude, charisma, and fucking talent. It's almost hilarious to think that it took so long for them to hit it big.

Sky Dog wrote:

I love watching Izzy laugh at Axl when the bouncers finally get him back on stage at the end. You know he is saying "that's one crazy motherfucker."

6:18...classic smile.:cool:

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

This is probably my favorite bootleg of the early days:

The lack of respect from the audience shows how small time GN'R was. "Corporate rock" my ass. You gotta love how even with the audience talking over them, they just keep playing their asses off. Axl's screams at the end are chilling. TALENT.

-D-

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

No doubt, I love STP.  Just pointing out, you can't compare bands by going to the charts.  It's a losing battle, and you can spin things a million different ways to fit your argument.

Just wondering, do you have a distaste for most grunge music, or is it strictly just Pearl Jam?

I like Pearl Jam. I wouldn't say I am a fan.. cause they have 10-12 songs that i absolutely fucking LOVE but bands I am a fan of, I love almost EVERY song off every album. with PJ, outside of those 10-12 i find their album cuts to be unlistenable.

but no, never was a huge grunge fan at all. that was my Prince period.

-D-

-D- wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

It shows that audiences were starving for something real, and not bubblegum slick at the time. That's why I always laugh when people (Cobain) looked at GN'R as "corporate rock". LMAO, Nirvana was the prime example of corporate-created teen angst. Their first album was a total dud, and Nevermind got a massive push to be popular. Pearl Jam on the other hand were called "sellouts" with Ten and too slick, yet Pearl Jam were probably the 'real deal' of the grunge bands, and other bands like Soundgarden & Alice In Chains had been around awhile fine honing their sound, aching for a breakthrough. It took Man In The Box two years to get some heat, and yet we look back on that as a radio-ready grunge.

GN'R didn't get the same treatment at all for AFD, yet still found a way to catch fire. We look at Jungle as one of the greats (I think it did make a list for best hard rock song of all-time on a VH1 show), and yet GN'R had to release in three times before it ever caught.

I re-watched the GN'R Vegas 2011 show with a friend the other night, then plugged in Ritz '88. The difference was VAST between the two. The friend even commented how the original GN'R "they're terrible", in a joking way. And the friend was right. The Ritz '88 show (which we and music fans consider a classic performance), was terrible in comparison. The AFD band was out of key, fucking up constantly, Axl's vocals were too pushed, they were not slick or refined AT ALL, which made the 2011 GN'R look even more polished and technically proficient.

Here's the thing

The Ritz '88 was RIGHT though. As I told the friend, who had to leave... just watch one more... and I played him Paradise City. The friend was blown away, and I said "just that performance of PC alone is why they're going into the Hall of Fame". 1986-90 GN'R was a "glorious fuckup" to end all fuck ups. Sleaze rock which taught grunge rock what to be. The best garage band in the world, while Nirvana members were still playing Spaced Invaders at the local 7-Eleven.

As I told the friend, it was even more STUNNING that those guys even are LIVING to see it happen. It's stunning they even got an LP AND an EP out of them. I'm shocked they even got ONE.

The friend was unaware, but as I explained, I said "you see that guy and that guy?" "yes", "that's Izzy, Steven & Slash. As soon as that show was over I guarantee you they scrambled to go shoot up. Duff over there got obscenely drunk, and Axl was probably the cleanest and yet the craziest. Could've easily committed suicide at any given moment if something rubbed him the wrong way"

The friend was stunned.

It's flat out amazing Guns N' Roses ever existed. By all logic, they should've all been dead by 1990.

P.S.

and for old time's sake... THIS BAND actually is living to see a Hall induction -- huh?

u know, next time somebody tries to even compare the new band with the old.. im gonna show this video and give them a giant ziplock bag  of dick to snack on while they watch.

WOW!

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

This is probably my favorite bootleg of the early days:

The lack of respect from the audience shows how small time GN'R was. "Corporate rock" my ass. You gotta love how even with the audience talking over them, they just keep playing their asses off. Axl's screams at the end are chilling. TALENT.

that is how it should have been recorded....and it should have went on Lies. Yesterdays should have been acoustic as well...also on Lies. The second album could have been completely opposite of AFD. Half acoustic/half electric sort of like Pearl Jam's VS....then come back with an album of epics and a few rockers (UYI). 3 albums completely different.

Board footer