You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: 50 Greatest Guitar Solos, NME - The Winner is...

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

nightrain is the greatest guitar solo of all time
whipping post from the fillmore east is the next greatest guitar solo of all time

then SCoM, obv
or maybe TWAT(!)
well TWAT's the solo of this century. not much competition tho sadly

i do get what axl means about the first SCOM guitar break/solo. that section is just blood on the tracks, heavy in the best possible way. the second is a screamer of course. but it's splitting hairs really.

I agree Nightrain is one of the best solos of all time...

see 3:22

19 bucket

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

As much as I love the SCOM solo, gotta give a slight edge to Stairway. But Gilmour's performance of the Comfortably Numb solo at Live 8 is the greatest thing I've seen/heard. The energy in the band was just oozing out of them and they absolutely fucking killed it, especially Gilmour. No other way to describe it than EPIC:

AtariLegend wrote:

imo Live 8 was an embarasement, due to the BBC fiasco, the London version.

It was fucking NME types make fun of people who have long hair or like anything that isn't new or hip.

I'll never forget Ross and friends cutting of Metallica and Beastie Boys (even though I'm not a great fan of them) ect. mid set or after 1 song, mocking people who like that type of music, asking why they're on the bill and then cuting to some more modern tracks in another Country.

There were more complaints about the Metallica coverage next day than Chris Tucker and Madonna saying Mother Fucker repeatley on day time Television.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

I think that NME list is embarrassing for the simple fact it has the likes of Radiohead and Muse listed more often than Hendrix. Talk about fucking bias towards new music.

AtariLegend wrote:

I know you guys don't like Radiohead, but just want to say that their first album or EP anyway isn't that much older than AFD.

Not really a new band.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I know you guys don't like Radiohead, but just want to say that their first album or EP anyway isn't that much older than AFD.

Not really a new band.

Compared to Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd...you bet your ass they're new. They list two songs by Radiohead in the top 10 and both of those songs are less than 20 years old. One is from '95 and the other is from '97. Meanwhile, Hendrix and Zeppelin are only in there once. That's a joke to me.

Lomax wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Not really a new band.

Compared to Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd...you bet your ass they're new. They list two songs by Radiohead in the top 10 and both of those songs are less than 20 years old. One is from '95 and the other is from '97. Meanwhile, Hendrix and Zeppelin are only in there once. That's a joke to me.

Well yeah if Hendrix and Zeppelin  reside in some untouchable godly pantheon in your mind then of course it'd be hilarious to you. To everyone else though, the music speaks for itself.

(that may be over harsh.... But it just flows so well I'm gonna keep it 19 )

13282860.jpg

Suck it up

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Riad wrote:

To everyone else though, the music speaks for itself.

To everyone else? Last I checked, "everyone else" generally regards Hendrix as the greatest guitarist ever and Page is right there with him.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Exactly, and as much as I love Bucket, I haven't met/seen/heard anybody that touched Jimi fucking Hendrix. Even Page.

To even consider anything from Radiohead is beyond ridiculous. I couldn't name you one of their songs, despite their Grateful Dead-like following from new age hipsters.

The ones that always get me is when I see names like Kurt Cobain. Cobain is one of the shittiest, popular, guitar players i've ever heard.

Another one is Jack White. White is talented on a guitar, but popularity-wise... who? What? Huh? There's nothing that dude has done that will be remembered. You might as well list guys like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Bumblefoot while you're at it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Exactly, and as much as I love Bucket, I haven't met/seen/heard anybody that touched Jimi fucking Hendrix. Even Page.

To even consider anything from Radiohead is beyond ridiculous. I couldn't name you one of their songs, despite their Grateful Dead-like following from new age hipsters.

The ones that always get me is when I see names like Kurt Cobain. Cobain is one of the shittiest, popular, guitar players i've ever heard.

Another one is Jack White. White is talented on a guitar, but popularity-wise... who? What? Huh? There's nothing that dude has done that will be remembered. You might as well list guys like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Bumblefoot while you're at it.

Seven Nation Army will be remembered IMHO. But the idea that the fucking Strokes should be on a list of 50 greatest guitar solos TWICE while Comfortably Numb and Heartbreaker aren't on the list? Complete fucking joke.

Board footer