You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: NFL Playoffs

James wrote:

You guys have known about my dislike of Manning for years but I am now willing to rank him as one of the elites. Montana great? Fuck no but I would  rank him in the 20-25 range.

Giants could have put the Pats away early. Pats were begging for it.

James

James wrote:

ID, Brady could win 10 SBs & he still couldn't hold Montana's jockstrap. I hated the niners then & now but no one comes close to him. I think Montana & Jordan are the two greatest athletes in history.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

ID, Brady could win 10 SBs & he still couldn't hold Montana's jockstrap. I hated the niners then & now but no one comes close to him. I think Montana & Jordan are the two greatest athletes in history.

I think Jordan is hands down the best.  Montana did have Jerry Rice after all, THE greatest wide receiver of all time. And Roger Craig was nothing to sneeze at in terms of that system. I do agree though, any Tom Brady greatest QB ever talk will not start up until he wins one more.  Won Four got to six would be pretty impressive, right now though it's really only Won 3 SB's. Really good, best of his era probably, not sure it'd make definitely the greatest, probably an easy top 3/top 5 case though.

In "our" history too.   I wish I got to see Ali fight, I'm sure he was something else & boxing was so much more important & an event back then.  They said Ali fights were close to Super Bowls in terms of social interest levels. Among other older previous generation athletes.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think Montana & Jordan are the two greatest athletes in history.

No offence here but Americans so regularly ignore Wayne Gretzky from this discussion. Mostly cause hockey isn't America's thing for the most part  so I can forgive it but let's be honest no athlete in the history of team sports dominated the way Gretzky did. His Accomplishments are absolutely unmatched.  The dude has more assists in hockey than any other player has points.  He was an icon on the world stage in terms of international play as well. I'm in no way shape or form knocking the accompishments of the others but when you look at what they did in their respective sports stats wise then look at what Grextky did in his, there is NO comparison. Championships included Gretzky had four himself so it's not like those guys even have a huge edge in that department. Plus Gretzky coudl've played pro baseball too if he wanted to as he was offered a contract by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1980

James Lofton wrote:

Giants could have put the Pats away early. Pats were begging for it.

Very true BUT the same could be said for the Giants. they fumbeld 3 times where the Pats did not recover. That's a huge bounce the Giants way. The play where the Patriots recoverd but had 12 men on the field was a HUGE game changer. One that many people are simply overlooking. It's been overshadowed by the obvious dropped pass by Welker but it played just as big a  role in the Patriots loss. Huge error on their part that cost them big. 

I hate the Giants but what can ya say. They're a good team who play their best when it counts. It's amazing to think that just like that Eli has passed Peyton for SB Rings and he's now beaten the Golden Boy Brady twice on the biggest stage on the planet.

As for the game as a whole I found it rather boring untill the final 3 minutes

As for the halftime show..... Well it was better than I expected although from a  performance stand point it was yet another bullshit lipsyncing charade. When everything from the vocals right down to the music is prerecorded there is a serious lack of energy in the "Performance". From a visual perspective it was pretty awesome.  Madonna opening with Vogue was an aweful song choice. Should've gone with Ray of Light then made the transition into MUSIC.  I can't fucking stand Niki Minaj(or however you spell it) and as for M.I.A. fucking lame of her to finger the camera(that's what we all thought she did as well) and I guarantee you barely anyone knew who she was. I was with 12 people and not a single one of them knew who she was.

They should get the Foo Fighters and the Dallas Cowboys to play the Super Bowl next.

James

James wrote:

In his late 30s, Montana sat on the sidelines for 2 yrs with 2 career ending injuries. Gets traded to the Chiefs and took that mediocre offense to the AFC championship. If Bruce Smith doesn't knock him out cold, Chiefs go to the SB & he kills Dallas.

James

James wrote:

One of the best games ever happened earlier that year. Oilers had a killer yet arrogant defense & they trash talked Montana all week. Montana went into that hostile environment & decimated that defense. That 1st season in KC cemented his spot as best ever

James

James wrote:

One other thing, if the 49ers had benched Young in the 4th quarter of that SF-Dallas & put Montana in, we would have got a 49ers/Bills SB instead.

I agree Gretzky makes it somewhere on a greatest athletes list.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Montana went 4-0 in the Super Bowl.  He wiped out two teams with HOF (Marino and Elway) and led a famous comeback in another one.  Brady might be a HOF but he is miles behind Joe Montana.

Jordan is the greatest modern basketball player of all time.  He had no dominant/all star calibur big man to play with (like Kobe) and still wins 6 NBA championships in 8 years while pissing away the other 1.5 years playing minor league baseball in his prime. 

James Lofton wrote:

One of the best games ever happened earlier that year. Oilers had a killer yet arrogant defense & they trash talked Montana all week. Montana went into that hostile environment & decimated that defense. That 1st season in KC cemented his spot as best ever

Shit I remember this game.  You're not giving enough credit to the Chiefs D.  They forced a bunch of turnovers in the second half.  I think I might hate this game more than the previous playoff chokeathon in Buffalo.  The Oilers were the biggest waste of fucking talent in the NFL in the early 1990s.  They blew 2nd half leads of 10 points in 3 straight playoff games.

I think that win was Marty Schottenheimer's last playoff win.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I agree about Montana. Dude was the best I've ever seen.

And the Giants MVP should have been Kyle Williams of the 49ers. Take away the first of his two screw ups and the Ginats would have been watching at home.

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think Montana & Jordan are the two greatest athletes in history.

No offence here but Americans so regularly ignore Wayne Gretzky from this discussion. Mostly cause hockey isn't America's thing for the most part  so I can forgive it but let's be honest no athlete in the history of team sports dominated the way Gretzky did. His Accomplishments are absolutely unmatched.  The dude has more assists in hockey than any other player has points.  He was an icon on the world stage in terms of international play as well. I'm in no way shape or form knocking the accompishments of the others but when you look at what they did in their respective sports stats wise then look at what Grextky did in his, there is NO comparison. Championships included Gretzky had four himself so it's not like those guys even have a huge edge in that department. Plus Gretzky coudl've played pro baseball too if he wanted to as he was offered a contract by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1980

I don't know if you guys had it Canada, but when I was a kid they had a Sunday morning cartoon that featured Bo Jackson, Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan as superheros. 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

pats need a top tier back....and brady needs to get back to a more calculating style of quarterback instead of just lobbing it down feild and praying for the best

Board footer