You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Roseland Ballroom, NYC 02/10/12

Bono wrote:

This idea that those who apprecaited the inclusions of Civil War and Estranged when they happened cant' have an opinion that now a moth or two later it isn't enough and they need to move forwardwith new material is ridiculous. Those of you who think everything is always good  enough and keep making excuses coming for why the band doesn't move forward to create their own identity with new material and refuse to acknowledge that a new single/album would be more than enough to please fans in the sense that they are moving forward is hilarious I swear some of you refuse to acknowldege the constructive/"negative" criticism as valid because you're affraid to admit it yourself because you're likely  pissed more about it than anyone and expressing it "out loud"  would lead to an emotional meltdown.  I swear some of you live through the rest of us vicariously cause we likely express what you're really thinking only for your own sanity you remain blindly positive about it all.

hey if others can tell us the only reason we're pissed is because Slash isn't in the band I sure as shit can express what I just did.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Faldor, while I would obviously prefer to hear the BH material, a good song is a good song. Period. I dont care if he has Flock of Seagulls do the music. If its good, I'll buy it & listen to it until I'm burnt out on it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A new kick ass single is good enough for me. It worked for Soundgarden & could work for GNR. Fans would go ape shit if the band released a new song.

They would, initially.  Fans went pretty nuts when CD was released.  But here we are 4 years later and fans are pissed off again.  So the high points are short lived as far as I can tell. 

And Bono, as for new music.  I said it before, but I honestly don't think this lineup can succeed OUTSIDE of the fans that they have right now.  At least not in a massive way where it would make a huge difference.  People don't see this as Guns N' Roses.  Even if they released a kick ass single and it actually did well, lots of people would still not give them the respect they deserve because they hate Axl Rose and what he has done or not done over the years.  Maybe I don't give people enough credit, but that's just how I see it.  I post over at VHlinks occasionally, mostly in the GNR section, and they HATE Axl Rose over there.  They refuse to buy tickets to shows.  When the VH/GNR rumors were in their infancy most said they'd skip GNR and only see VH.  People just don't care, or don't want to embrace this lineup.  It would take A LOT to win them over, and I just don't see it happening.  That's all I'm saying.

Bono

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

And Bono, as for new music.  I said it before, but I honestly don't think this lineup can succeed OUTSIDE of the fans that they have right now.  At least not in a massive way where it would make a huge difference.  People don't see this as Guns N' Roses.  Even if they released a kick ass single and it actually did well, lots of people would still not give them the respect they deserve because they hate Axl Rose and what he has done or not done over the years.  Maybe I don't give people enough credit, but that's just how I see it.  I post over at VHlinks occasionally, mostly in the GNR section, and they HATE Axl Rose over there.  They refuse to buy tickets to shows.  When the VH/GNR rumors were in their infancy most said they'd skip GNR and only see VH.  People just don't care, or don't want to embrace this lineup.  It would take A LOT to win them over, and I just don't see it happening.  That's all I'm saying.

Well it would take SOMETHING to win them over. The sad truth is Axl has given the public almost nothing to win them over. Nobody here wants to really admit it but the fact is CD was not liked by the genral public. The singles sucked regardless of how much the Gn'R online fanbase will arue it. Axl in the minds of many broke up the greatest rock band on the planet, wasted 13 f-ing years and released a bad album. That's how people see it.  Had Axl got off his fucking ass and released the album in 1999-2002 the world woud've been more forgiving. Had Axl followed that up in 2004-2006 with a new album they'd have two albums out now without Slash and people would see it more as Guns N' Roses. Then in 2008-2010 he should've had another album out and all of that is still at a snails pace.

the public doesn't give a shit because Axl hasn't given a  shit. he's given them no reason to embrace this. he's barely given the hardcore fanbase a reason to embrace it.  So whether it takes a LOT or takes very little the fact is it's gonna take SOMETHING and that something is not playing Estranged live 16

the more Axl tours and pretends to be Guns N' Roses instead of actually being Guns N' Roses the more the public will continue to hate it and him and look at it as a tribute band. The new band NEEDS to create their own identity and touring the old bands songs isn't the way to do that. It's through NEW music so regardless of how much it takes it is what has to be done. otherwise the whole thing is a waste of time

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Well it would take SOMETHING to win them over. The sad truth is Axl has given the public almost nothing to win them over. Nobody here wants to really admit it but the fact is CD was not liked by the genral public. The singles sucked regardless of how much the Gn'R online fanbase will arue it. Axl in the minds of many broke up the greatest rock band on the planet, wasted 13 f-ing years and released a bad album. That's how people see it.  Had Axl got off his fucking ass and released the album in 1999-2002 the world woud've been more forgiving. Had Axl followed that up in 2004-2006 with a new album they'd have two albums out now without Slash and people would see it more as Guns N' Roses. Then in 2008-2010 he should've had another album out and all of that is still at a snails pace.

the public doesn't give a shit because Axl hasn't given a  shit. he's given them no reason to embrace this. he's barely given the hardcore fanbase a reason to embrace it.  So whether it takes a LOT or takes very little the fact is it's gonna take SOMETHING and that something is not playing Estranged live 16

the more Axl tours and pretends to be Guns N' Roses instead of actually being Guns N' Roses the more the public will continue to hate it and him and look at it as a tribute band. The new band NEEDS to create their own identity and touring the old bands songs isn't the way to do that. It's through NEW music so regardless of how much it takes it is what has to be done. otherwise the whole thing is a waste of time

Rodger that

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I was making a general comment on my stance. You've known me for years & both of us have been labeled as such for insane reasons.

Adding UYI tracks is cool but is a small step. I was surprised by it as I always thought UYI was being saved for a reunion.

It's all good, man smile

And let me repeat this: I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear new music. Absolutely love it. The fact that they haven't put out more material is ridiculous to me.

I'm just not sold this line up is a "huge hit single" type of band. Maybe DJ can bring that in, but I haven't seen any evidence that they've written A song together, let alone be able to write a huge hit single. Better is one of the best songs I've heard from any band in a real long time. But it's just not going to set the world on fire "hit" wise.

This isn't making excuses, and I'm not saying anyone can't have an opinion on anything. It's seeing things for what they are, not what they SHOULD be. We've been doing that for years over everything with this band. The setlist is such a small factor in the overall, monumental fuck ups of this band, it's laughable. Plus, I like the setlists. Their playing the songs they SHOULD play. I've made it clear that IRS, ITW and TWAT should be staples, but what am I going to do? The shows still kick ass, imo. It's just a trivial argument to me.

It's not about being "blindly" positive.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Bono, I agree.  I just don't see things changing all that much.  Thus people won't be won over.  I don't see Axl all of a sudden becoming a promotional machine, or pumping out new music at a rapid pace.  It's never happened before, so why now?  People outside of actual GNR fans would only care if there was a reunion, otherwise there's limited interest at best.  So new music could go a long way to pleasing us GNR fans, but not much more aside from that.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Again, just my opinion, but this is the crux of the problem. None of what you said has anything to do with a setlist, yet the setlist (or whatever the particular argument of the day is) is really just a scapegoat for a lot of anger directed at Axl from THE FANBASE for a whole lot of deep stuff. Not the general public.

And you're saying a lot of what faldor hit on.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Again, just my opinion, but this is the crux of the problem. None of what you said has anything to do with a setlist, yet the setlist (or whatever the particular argument of the day is) is really just a scapegoat for a lot of anger directed at Axl from THE FANBASE for a whole lot of deep stuff. Not the general public.

It has everything to do with the setlist because nothing new is included and in fact more CD songs have been cut. How can you not see this. the reason the setlist gets bagged on is because it's the current reference point. If there was nothing but silence that would be the reference point.  The setlist  shows backwards motion or the band being stagnant with it's refusal to embrace a new era  not progression. Yes adding old songs here and there is cool but they could do that every single night and they don't. Where's the new forward moving songs?

Some of you guys seem to think this attitude being expressed is exclusive to jaded bitter reunionist Gn'R fans. Hell it hasn't even been 3 years since U2 released No Line and yet U2 fans are becoming restless. BUT U2 fans loved the fact U2 played 6 unreleased songs on their 360 tour. That showed them there is in fact something new in the works.

If Gn'R were to throw new songs into the mix it would go a long way. fans would then know something is happening

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

It has everything to do with the setlist because nothing new is included and in fact more CD songs have been cut. How can you not see this. the reason the setlist gets bagged on is because it's the current reference point. If there was nothing but silence that would be the reference point.  The setlist  shows backwards motion or the band being stagnant with it's refusal to embrace a new era  not progression. Yes adding old songs here and there is cool but they could do that every single night and they don't. Where's the new forward moving songs?

Some of you guys seem to think this attitude being expressed is exclusive to jaded bitter reunionist Gn'R fans. Hell it hasn't even been 3 years since U2 released No Line and yet U2 fans are becoming restless. BUT U2 fans loved the fact U2 played 6 unreleased songs on their 360 tour. That showed them there is in fact something new in the works.

If Gn'R were to throw new songs into the mix it would go a long way. fans would then know something is happening

I can't disagree with you that there is a lot he could do to help himself and the band.

But you have to admit, Bono, that there are people who have such jaded outlooks for whatever reason, or whatever line up, that it influences all their views on everything related to the band.

Yes, it's frustrating to hear Axl is still concentrating on CD. Hearing it come out of his own mouth was depressing. Especially when the band wants to do something new. But I personally think the shows kick ass. If anyone wants to call me an Axlite (I invented that term, btw 16) or a blind follower, okay. But I think the shows are the one big positive about the current era. On top of the fact we've been getting more Axl interviews, streamed shows by the band, and a band that seems more OPENLY positive about their future than I have seen in over ten years, is good sign to me.

Board footer