You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Niven says Stage Fright Causes Axl's Lateness

war wrote:

i think it's habitual at this point.

im sure it stems from the stage fright.

the other excuses are just that.

keep in mind axl, himself, has yet to admit to this.

so when he's blaming technical difficulties, jet problems, etc. he's justifying to himself the tardiness.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

Dont agree

any dude that can get up there in his tighty whiteys ain't afraid of shit.

big_smile I lol'd at that...but I actually think you're wrong about it.

I think there's soft romantic Axl who writes November Rain and tried to win back his woman on a horse, then there's angry Axl who writes Get in the Ring and pushed a grand piano out a glass window. They are the same guy.

Likewise I suspect there's timid home Axl, who we got a little glimpse of at that basketball game, he doesn't like the media attention, is high critical and analytical of himself and everyone else. Probably sees the things we see that's wrong with GNR and sees them 10 times worse. Then there's axl the rock god with no fear who will take on an entire crowd in his undies and fight the guy in the front with the camera. Also the same guy. The key is getting which one you need on which day you need it.

The whole tent off stage thing and the retreats from stage is also consistent with an element of a security blanket, as is only adding 1 new song to the setlist a year...you know you can do that show cos you survived it last time.

Also - like u say - make it 5 and he goes on at 6.30 - you could say it's a diva, but I can say it's just further proof that it's not the actual start time that's the problem - it's the actual act of going on stage at all at any predetermined moment.

I think there's been a lot of excuses over the years, partially cos of perspective and partially cos it's not exactly rock and roll to come out and say you have anxiety.

Apologies to Axl if I'm off base here, but this theory really seems the most plausible to me. Seems to explain a lot of prior events, from the late starts, to the way major shows often are the ones that go wrong, to the stagnant set list to the reclusive behaviour before and after gigs and to the wall his handlers keep him behind.

i think the teleprompters add up to that as well. people use that stuff, because they`re afraid of a blackout. we all saw him during november rain at rio, desperately looking for the lyrics of a song he`s performed live for 700 times now, but the teleprompters were out of his reach. he was not quite the laid back rock star at that moment...    of course one can argue, that he`s just too lazy to rehearse and hadn`t sung the song for a year or so, but come on, it was november rain!!

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

no way - fans remember the lyrics, fans that have never once rehearsed the songs.

only nerves would cause him to forget the lyrics.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
war wrote:

no way - fans remember the lyrics, fans that have never once rehearsed the songs.

only nerves would cause him to forget the lyrics.

that`s what i`m saying...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I dont doubt Axl has to psych himself up to get out there and perform and the stage fright story will have an element of truth, it must be tough sometimes.
But I believe Axl has just plain milked all his eccentricities because he's knows he can, because of that power he holds over people, he has something they want. Fans, bandmates, promoters, managers - they all swallow his shit and come back for more, he's known this since the day when GNR got signed and he was up on that roof making everybody wait while he did his praying mantis impression.
Becoming a multi millionaire at such a young age killed any chance that he would ever have to change his behaviour, he could afford to be as eccentric as he wanted.
If the guy had to shovel shit every day to put food on the table for his family, you can bet he would have got his act together long ago.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
sandman wrote:

anyway, i really think Axl's stage fright is PART of the problem. i think him coming on late gives him a feeling of control, which he really needs to be able to perform well. i think he needs that control in part because of stage fright,but also just because he's a perfectionist. i think he puts too much pressure on himself and being "in control" helps with the anxiety he creates for himself. .

14 Whatever. Axl is NOT a perfectionist. The production on CD is a prime example of that. Also a  perfectionist shows up on time, they show up for rehearsals, they make sure the sound tech guys have shit down before hand not left to work out the kinks during the main event because the so called perfectionist didn't show up for soundcheck. It's hilarious to see in 2012 how many people continue to make up dellusional bullshit excuses for Axl Rose. Bottom line is perfectionists do things perfectly. They don't use being a perfectionist as an excuse for constantly being anything but perfect.

-D- wrote:

Dont agree

any dude that can get up there in his tighty whiteys ain't afraid of shit.

16 So fucking true!

I don't agree at all with your assessment of perfectionism.  The problem with perfectionism is that it's either perfect or a complete failure in a perfectionist's eyes.  It's either black or white in their eyes.  So many times, that results in procrastination.

And in a broader sense, this notion that he can't have stage fright, or doesn't have it, is weird to me.  People sitting here and saying what someone else does or doesn't feel.  Just because he can get up on stage and overcome any stage fright he might have does not necessarily mean that he has none.

Ali

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Axl probably gets distracted by funny internet videos before every show.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

I don't agree at all with your assessment of perfectionism.  The problem with perfectionism is that it's either perfect or a complete failure in a perfectionist's eyes.  It's either black or white in their eyes.  So many times, that results in procrastination.

This.... fair enough arguement.

Ali wrote:

And in a broader sense, this notion that he can't have stage fright, or doesn't have it, is weird to me.  People sitting here and saying what someone else does or doesn't feel.  Just because he can get up on stage and overcome any stage fright he might have does not necessarily mean that he has none.

Ali

This.... nothing but more Ali coming to the almighty's rescue. Are you serious? When are you gonna drop this bullshit that we can't and shouldn't speculate on things. It's all we have.  If we didn't speculate and discuss things  that we don't have the answers to we'd never discuss anything on a  Gn'R board. Same old shit from you every time.  You can tell me I can't can't speculate that he doesn't have stage fright and it's a bullshit excuse yet in the same sentence you can speculate that he very well could. What is your deal?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Or maybe he had stage fright cause he was wearing Tighty Whiteys?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Whatever. Axl is NOT a perfectionist. The production on CD is a prime example of that. Also a  perfectionist shows up on time, they show up for rehearsals, they make sure the sound tech guys have shit down before hand not left to work out the kinks during the main event because the so called perfectionist didn't show up for soundcheck. It's hilarious to see in 2012 how many people continue to make up dellusional bullshit excuses for Axl Rose. Bottom line is perfectionists do things perfectly. They don't use being a perfectionist as an excuse for constantly being anything but perfect.

And once again here comes Axlin to remind everyone...

MALADAPTIVE PERFECTIONIST

That is what Howard Hughes was. Maladaptive's describe Axl precisely. Maladaptive's have an "all or nothing" attitude, are notorious procrastinators, constantly miss deadlines, delay life and other work projects, because their attitude is that if they "cannot do it perfectly, then they don't do it".

Your next response will be:

"Well that's not a perfectionist"

In your perception, but it's more about the subject's mind process as to what their motive is and decisions are. And thus were the perfectionism comes in.

Then of course you have normal perfectionists, which do the common things, turn work in early, have an obsession over their house having to be sterile (not just clean), over do their work in order to achieve perfection, and in some cases it can be healthy, as long as it's perfectionism targeted to actual life and helping them succeed.

Both forms of Perfectionism are apart of the Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (not to be confused with OCD).

Board footer