You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 20 Seconds of the new Slash Song "You're A Lie" from Apocalyptic Lov

Sky Dog wrote:
madagas wrote:
Bono wrote:
Riad wrote:

Had this been released in '91 he'd have been laughed out of a job.

Based on the shift in music at the time with PJ, Nirvana, STP all about to break I guarantee you he would not have been laughed out of a job. Far from it. To suggest he would''ve been is just flat out stupid and simply embelishing on the bashing for the sake of it because clearly you're gettinga  kick out of trashing it just for a reaction. This statement alone shows that.

Not to be an ass, but this new Slash song doesn't hold a candle to what was going on in 91...the last true great rock year.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Monkey likes it. D likes it. Mikka likes it. That's all that matters, not what I think. If you dig it, you dig it. No sense starting shit, bashing music YOU KNOW people like because someone doesn't agree with you.

Yeah my problem is I tend to like both sides of this "war".

Two of my favourite albums are "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" and "Chinese Democracy" - what the hell can you do with a person like that?

Won't catch me bashing Catcher when someone doesn't like Slither, and you won't catch me knocking Sucker Tain Blues cos someone doesn't like There Was A Time.

I love all 4 of those songs.

Makes it hard to fit in sometimes big_smile

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'm still enjoying this song.

I'm not going to pretend it's his best ever work but it's also not his worst.

I'll grant the song has a modern rock production sound, but I think that's mostly to do with the drum and bass sounds, and as I've said, I think GNR and VR would be mastered to sound similar if they were recorded in 2012.

In this particualr song, I actually enjoy singing along with myles's chorus - the words are simplistic but tell a story familiar to many of us - and it's got a fun solo - not slash's best but still better than most bands these days.

I understand people who find modern rock bland though - generally I'm one of them - so i see the risk.

I think Alterbridge is an example. To my ears they have a handful of songs that are memorable and inspired (Esp. Blackbird - beautiful meaning, solos et) - but to go with that there's a lot of same samness. To the point where I can't really listen to the albums other than on shuffle as is just sounds like the same song over and over.I can't figure out the problem. The drummer is bad ass. The lead player can shred. And I like Myles voice. Yet a few songs in I loose interest.

But I think that won't happen with Slash...I think myles will give us sing along moments and hopefully there will be some killer guitar work to go with it.

I find most slash albums have songs I adore, and a couple I don't quite like, and I say that as a huge fan. The thing is, much like GNR, the interesting part is one mans skip is another mans favourite. I know some of my favs on the solo album are the ones you guys hate, and same with the songs I like from VR.

If it goes like normal I'd expect maybe 3 or 4 songs I think are special, then maybe 3 or 4 that are average - fun but not with the top stuff, then maybe 2-3 that sound pretty but just arn't my kind of thing.

So that's what I'm anticipating, your results may vary, but I feel somewhere on this album there will be a great moment. Too much talent in the band for there not to be.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

What frustrates me is the single selection. I liked the song "by the sword", but probably not a good single choice. Sbqm was a bad single selection. Slither was a great single selection.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I guess the best way to describe the song is "Dumb Downed" for masses.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Nirvana, STP, Pearl Jam are 3 of the most overrated bands of all time!

That's your opinion(I agree on the Nirvana and STP front) and yet they are undeniably classic rock bands, with classic songs and albums and classic frontmen. Pearl Jam has entered the territory as a legit classic American Rock band. There is no denying it, so regardless of anyone's opinion on the music this style of song would've fit in quite well back in 1991 and would've done pretty well. Just like it will in 2012.  "Laughed out of a job" as Riad put it is what's laughable.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Pearl Jam is a classic rock band with  yarler for a singer. Errrrr.....

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Everyone bent out of shape about slash going modern should have a fresh listen to this song...here's the awesomeness of Slash in his non-modern sound...but it's usually ignored by GNR fans due to the lack of Axl.....

So make up your mind kiddies, you can have "Dime Store Rock" which  is Slash in his 1970s rock mode or you can have "You're A Lie" which is Slash  in his 2000s rock mode. Take your pick....

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I never paid much attn to Snakepit stuff but this song kicks ass.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I got tired reading through all of the back and forth, "blah blah blah it sounds like post grunge"

No it fuckin' doesn't man. It doesn't. Maybe the riffs, but I think you're hearing what you want to hear.

My opinion?

It sounds like a B-side, uninspiring, former sleaze rocker trying to recapture it, with a late 90's tired retread LA Sunset Strip sound.

In other words... this is a LOST "Ain't Life Grand" track.

Is it horrible? No. But this is an average-to-forgettable song, that looks like a piece of crap compared to "Back From Cali", "Starlight", the rest of most of Slash 2010, and pretty much the entire Alter Bridge catalog.

I hope to Christ almighty that "You're No Lie" is not a 'big Gun'. Otherwise, this will be "Snakepit III".

Believe it or not? Myles is the HIGHLIGHT here. Yeah I said it. Slash is the weak link.

Board footer