You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: 20 Seconds of the new Slash Song "You're A Lie" from Apocalyptic Lov

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Believe it or not? Myles is the HIGHLIGHT here. Yeah I said it. Slash is the weak link.

Not even close. The riff is pretty rockin, I dig the solo and that little breakdown before the solo I like. Myles voice is the weak point by far.  His voice is diet vanilla rock. It's not even regular vanilla rock. His voice doesn't match with what Slash does on guitar.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm referring to the chorus and melody being superior to Slash's REALLY AVERAGE guitar work in this.

I'm not hearing the great guitar work here. Riff, solo, anything and everything....

"just kinda stock" - Lars Ulrich

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I don't mind Myles' melody in the chorus. Just not a fan of his voice at all.  The riff is simple but I think it rocks pretty good. It is a tad reptative though no doubt. I like the solo though cause it just sounds like Slash to me and honestly I've never been a huge fan of guitar solos but for whatever reason I've always loved Slash's solos. I'm more into the subtle less is more thing when it comes to that stuff  but Slash is the expception t that rule for me. I don't know why. Always has been. he's the  the one guy who I've always liked the long drawn out solo so.... I think that's a huge reason why I loved old school Gn'R. Axl's voice obviously but the tone in Slash's guitar grabbed me just as much. I wasn't a hardcore music fan untill I hear YCBM and Slash played a big part in that. For me when I hear his guitar playing I know it's hima nd I liek it. Just as I like Axl's voice... well his old voice. I don't like how he sounds on CD all that much. His 2010 live voice was killer

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Chorus kills the song. Everything else is fine.

Lomax wrote:
Bono wrote:

What the fuck does this even mean in reference to what I said? Are you now insinuating that Nirvana, Pearl Jam and STP aren't good? If so it's you who doesn't know what rock is dude.

I'm saying that bands like the ones you mentioned (with the exception of STP who are to grunge what Sum41 are to the Beetles) were not moving in this direction.

Pearl Jam were moving in the direction they are now in today. They don't and never have released anything like this, nor did STP for that matter as for Nirvana, doesn't matter what direction they were moving towards dissolution one way or the other.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Slash should just do an instrumental album and blow everyone the fuck away. I'd wet myself.

For me personally I'm not really an instrumental guy, whenever I hear a great instrumental, a "Watch This!" or "Soothsayer" it feels like a lost opportunity to make a truely amazing conventional song.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Do you guys like "you're a lie" or, the song "what I want" that Slash did with Daultry?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Slash should just do an instrumental album and blow everyone the fuck away. I'd wet myself.

For me personally I'm not really an instrumental guy, whenever I hear a great instrumental, a "Watch This!" or "Soothsayer" it feels like a lost opportunity to make a truely amazing conventional song.

I'd swear allegiance to the government to have Axls vocals on some of Bucketheads stuff.

On the other hand...

I'd like to see him to do it, if only for the fact that for the last 15 years he hasn't found a single singer able to do him justice. Scott was alright, but nothing more.

I'm not sure he'd dare to expose himself like that though. He's always been a come behind kinda guy.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I don't mind Myles' melody in the chorus. Just not a fan of his voice at all.  The riff is simple but I think it rocks pretty good. It is a tad reptative though no doubt. I like the solo though cause it just sounds like Slash to me and honestly I've never been a huge fan of guitar solos but for whatever reason I've always loved Slash's solos. I'm more into the subtle less is more thing when it comes to that stuff  but Slash is the expception t that rule for me. I don't know why. Always has been. he's the  the one guy who I've always liked the long drawn out solo so.... I think that's a huge reason why I loved old school Gn'R. Axl's voice obviously but the tone in Slash's guitar grabbed me just as much. I wasn't a hardcore music fan untill I hear YCBM and Slash played a big part in that. For me when I hear his guitar playing I know it's hima nd I liek it. Just as I like Axl's voice... well his old voice. I don't like how he sounds on CD all that much. His 2010 live voice was killer

Then I completely agree with you.

When I made that statement I was not complementing Myles voice. The melody is what I was saying was the only good thing in the song to me. As to whether Myles or Slash wrote it, I dunno. Either way it's the highlight.

As for Myles voice, nobody has been more harsh on him than me. But I recently gave Creed a second chance (now that high school is long over and I can seperate the fans from the music), and after I jumped from Creed to Alter Bridge.

I'm on the first AB album and... man... Myles voice is just something that appeals to a certain audience I guess. The songs work, but not because Myles is this "amazing" vocalist. Maybe Myles takes some seasoning, but jumping immediately from Scott Stapp to Myles is even more of a stark contrast to the ears. It makes Stapp sound better, and Myles sound even worse. hmm

I'll keep giving the guy a try. I really want to like him, if just for the fact that Slash is obviously walking into the future for a long period of time with him as HIS vocalist. hmm

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I like Myles.. he has responded and sent me bout 10 Direct Messages over the last year or so. so thats cool

I think first single.. its the one with the most mass appeal etc.. lyrics are easy to relate to, music isn't amazing but it serves purpose.

To Reference two albums:

Chinese Democracy prob isn't a top 10 song on that album, Tattoo isn't top 5-8 on Van Halen ADKOT

Board footer