You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: 20 Seconds of the new Slash Song "You're A Lie" from Apocalyptic Lov

-D- wrote:
Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

was a good show till Nickelback... anybody who sucks that much Nickelback cock, i can no longer listen to any opinion or respect any opinion after said sucking.

It was a good show untill you disagreed with his opinion on ONE band? Give me a break. And to say because you disgaree with a person's opinion in one area negates everything they have to say from there on out and that you can no longer respect anything they have to say is fucking lame.  And the fact is there wasn't that much "Nickleback cock" being sucked anyways.

As for Guns N' Roses misterID  they had a tiny segment BUT what was there to say about them really? They gave them full credit for  paving the way for the "grunge" scene or at least preping the public for something more raw and real than what hair metal had delivered.  It's not like they slighted Gn'R.  It was  a show on the history of METAL so how much time do you want them to spend on Gn'R? Fact is Gn'R's story in the history of METAL is a tiny segment.  I for one didn't expect much on Guns N' Roses so I'm not sure why others would. Especially people who are way more into  Metal than I am was or ever will be.

Just saying if somebody "Loves" Nickelback.. how much of their critique of other bands can u take seriously.

Creed for instance always get hammered but they are 100 times better than nickelback

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Nickelback is still a viable band, so they're probably being paid well to prop them up.

Lomax wrote:

We need an age limit on this thread, it's getting out of hand.

Lomax wrote:
misterID wrote:

Seeing they devoted an entire episode to Hair Metal, GN'R's debut was the transition from glam metal to grunge. It's not a bad show, not ragging it. Just thought it was odd that they didn't even play a song from the band, when they kept getting mentioned.

GNR Ain't really metal. Love this show btw, they really nailed the evolution of metal in my mind.

-D-

-D- wrote:

NIckelback is metal? LOL

Lomax wrote:
-D- wrote:

NIckelback is metal? LOL

More metal than Bon Jovi....

-D-

-D- wrote:

whoever said Bon Jovi were metal?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

As for Myles voice, nobody has been more harsh on him than me. But I recently gave Creed a second chance (now that high school is long over and I can seperate the fans from the music), and after I jumped from Creed to Alter Bridge.

I'm on the first AB album and... man... Myles voice is just something that appeals to a certain audience I guess. The songs work, but not because Myles is this "amazing" vocalist. Maybe Myles takes some seasoning, but jumping immediately from Scott Stapp to Myles is even more of a stark contrast to the ears. It makes Stapp sound better, and Myles sound even worse. hmm

I'll keep giving the guy a try. I really want to like him, if just for the fact that Slash is obviously walking into the future for a long period of time with him as HIS vocalist. hmm

I don't like Creed, mostly because of Scott Stapp's monotone, bad Eddie Vedder rip off vocals. I can't believe you prefer Scott to Myles, but each to their own.

I actually think Myles sounds a little like Chris Cornell on the first Alter Bridge album, and the band sounds more metal than the post-grunge rock that Creed seem to play.

Myles seems to allow Mark Tremonti to be more of a metal player, and he seems to allow Slash to be more of himself too. This can only be a good thing when you consider that both Scotts (Stapp and Weiland) seemed to keep their respective guitarists on a leash when it came to soloing.

I completely agree with you on that account. The vast difference between Creed instrumentally versus Alter Bridge instrumentally is stark, but at the same time the tone is identical. Creed is almost the band in a post grunge form, and Alter Bridge is the same exact band with the same feel in a hard rock form. Interesting study to be honest.

But I agree with you that Tremonti gets to show off his true abilities FAR more in AB, than Creed. I didn't even know the old boy even had it him until I heard it with my own ears. I didn't know there actually was a fucking BAND in Creed.

I think one of the things that seperates Creed's newest/reunion album Full Circle apart from the rest of the catalog, is they did take the chances a little more. I'm still curious to know if it was Stapp, or it was the record company demanding a more vocal-front, melody-driven form to Creed.

Hearing it, I can't help by think how much of those back catalog Creed tracks not only would've been VASTLY improved with Tremonti being what he truely was, but how much more respect the band would've gotten during their prime as a new positive Guns N' Roses-type, rather than a watered-down bubblegum Pearl Jam.

Lost opportunities. But Creed's Full Circle was a total turning point for me on the band, much like Myles and Alter Bridge were for you.

Keep in mind, all of my opinions i'm telling you... are hot of the presses. This is fresh for me. I fucking hated and loathed Creed for years, and Full Circle completely turned me around them. I even slammed the album when it came out, just out of instinct because of 'Creed'.

Not only does Full Circle port over the good aspects of their old sound, but the album takes a heavier tone, and almost shows the band trying to show the Shinedown's of the world -- "We made you, now pay attention you might learn something buddy".

Tremonti has his absolute BEST guitar work under the Creed moniker (as to not discount his great stuff i'm discovering in AB), but Tremonti produces the heaviest riffs they've ever done. Few tasty solos (yes on a post grunge album). Even Stapp "goes for it" more, and seems to show natural aggression in right places and an organic passion for the lyrics, unlike the extrememly FORCED badass sound and image he was going for back in the day.

It's a starting point. There is definitely much more of 'metal' instrumentation from the band throughout Full Circle and sees Creed at their heaviest, if not the ONLY time they were ever "heavy" or "real". Full Circle feels like an Alter Bridge album, with post grunge sound, but with special guest Scott Stapp. Maybe that's why it's their only 'excellent' album? Maybe it's just me...

As for Myles, I will agree with you there are some Cornell-isms in his lower register to higher stuff. When I heard him perform with Slash the other day on that "Wild Horses" cover, he sounded almost like Cornell in places. I even said it to myself. But I dunno, there's something kinda flat about it. Lacking the power of Cornell, and Myles seemingly to sing almost entirely through his nose, versus Cornell and it being Chris' natural voice and all Chris, all power, and many different ranges. Again, jmo. I think Stapp in this case has more natural power than Myles, but at the same time, Myles has more range. But for me, i'll always go for the power over range. I'd figure most "Axl" fans would.

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

They had a show on VH1 Classic, Metal Evolution, that explored all the different factions of Metal.  Post grunge includes bands like Nickelback, Creed, Candlebox, etc.  Not Limp Bizkit, they're nu-metal I believe.  Here's the Grunge episode, followed by Post Grunge if you want to check it out.

http://www.vh1.com/video/metal-evolutio … list.jhtml

Yeah same shitty show that was praising Nickelback? LOL

It's not a shitty show. It's an 11 part series and it's actually pretty fucking awesome. If people can leave their own musical biases out of it and just watch it's actually a  damn good series.  The host can't stand hair metal band and yet after doingt eh research and interviewing guys from that genre he has a new respect for them even if he still hates the music. Just cause you don't like a certain type of music does NOT make this a shitty show.

It's a Canadian series too. Watch the entire series and don't judge it off  a few comments about Nickleback. I guarantee you it's not "praise" that's being dished out in the series for Nickelback int he sense the guy loves Nickelback. not at all. It's simply acknowledging the role certain artists have played  in the story of Metal whatever that may be

It kinda goes back to what I was saying the other day. Love it or hate it, post grunge has made it's mark as a legitimate era of the rock sound and the rock scene, ushered in by the popularity of Creed. I fucking HATED it when it was NEW, but 14 years or so of having to hear it constantly on the radio... has softened me to it. I even like it.

The way I see post grunge is it's like someone took the cock rock of the 80's, merged it with grunge, and post grunge is the hot rebellious deep chick, but she wears ripped jeans a too small tank top, and is totally fucking cocky in an 80's over the top way.

It's a weird mix.

But like with all forms of music, some artists are better than others. I like some of NB's songs and I think Kroeger has a very memorable and unique voice for his genre, but at the same time they're not as good as Creed, and I would've said that 5 months ago when I still hated Creed's fucking guts.

But like what happened in the 80's when the oversaturation of the glam metal scene, post grunge has been around LONGER and the same thing has happened 10 times over.

For every one of the "good ones", there's dozens of bad ones. Doesn't mean the genre itself SUCKS, and it doesn't mean the genre hasn't had a long-lasting impact in the rock scene.

Now that I think about it... post grunge is one of the longest enduring and surviving forms of rock to ever exist based on years of existance and continued popularity. Even older acts have re-invented towards it, such as Motley Crue and Metallica, and i'm really curious if DJ Ashba being in GN'R is a "sign" of where Axl wants to go.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Riad wrote:
misterID wrote:

Seeing they devoted an entire episode to Hair Metal, GN'R's debut was the transition from glam metal to grunge. It's not a bad show, not ragging it. Just thought it was odd that they didn't even play a song from the band, when they kept getting mentioned.

GNR Ain't really metal. Love this show btw, they really nailed the evolution of metal in my mind.

There were a ton of bands on there that weren't metal.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I like "You're A Lie." It's gonna be a hit. Still don't LOVE Myles' voice, but then again I don't love many singers' voices anymore. So, join the club dude.

Board footer