You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: I want a reunion

Lomax wrote:
DCK wrote:

Didn't we discuss this in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and in 2011?

Yup and it's still relevant. That's the power of GNR. Relevancy in an irrelevant world.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

No way, unless he's dumb as hell, Axl signed a contract that said "any of my recordings will be done under the GN'R name and released under Geffen/Universal".

Actually it's standard practise when bands are signed to have the contact give the label rights over all members as a group and also individually or at least a right of first refusal.

Think of it from the label's perspective. If they pony up  a bunch of cash as an advance and sign you to a 3 album deal, then they need to make sure you won't rip them off by like swapping drummers or adding a violinist and saying it's no longer the band they signed.

Lomax wrote:
Bono wrote:

16 You never cease to amaze with your tirless ability to spin in favor of the almighty.

1046403_f255_1024x2000.jpg

Sky Dog wrote:

Pot Meet Kettle...good one.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Ali wrote:

You did not answer the question about why release CD at all if the intent was solely to tour and make money off the back catalog. 

Ali

From what I can tell he ended up having no choice but to release CD.  Ever since he got the original advance for it from the record label (which I believe was while Slash and Duff were still in the band) he had been spending money hand over fist on the damn record.  Not only did he continue to piss all the labels money away, once that dried up he then had his hand in his own pocket for it.

So he was contractually bound to deliver a record and financially was probably up to his eyeballs in it too.  So fulfilling that obligation and clearing the decks of the debt was no doubt part of the motivation to release CD whether he wanted to or not.  Even if he just wanted to tour off the back catalogue after Slash and Duff left, he still would have no choice but to release CD at some point for the above reasons.

Personally I think he genuinely wanted to move forward, release new stuff regularly and establish nuGNR in its own right.  Sadly along the way that got all fucked up and now he just seems to be happy to trade mainly off the back catalogue.  I don't blame him for making a buck, but if he has changed his desire to create new music and move forward and is happy to trade off the nostalgia, get the old dudes back (if they will put up with him) and do it.  Otherwise, give your current bandmates some respect and actually get in the studio and record and release some new music with them.  Let the world see what they can do as a collective unit. Don't insult them by letting them spin their wheels for years on end, as they will eventually go the way of Bucket and Finck.

Sky Dog wrote:

nice post

Sky Dog wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Ali wrote:

You did not answer the question about why release CD at all if the intent was solely to tour and make money off the back catalog. 

Ali

From what I can tell he ended up having no choice but to release CD.  Ever since he got the original advance for it from the record label (which I believe was while Slash and Duff were still in the band) he had been spending money hand over fist on the damn record.  Not only did he continue to piss all the labels money away, once that dried up he then had his hand in his own pocket for it.

So he was contractually bound to deliver a record and financially was probably up to his eyeballs in it too.  So fulfilling that obligation and clearing the decks of the debt was no doubt part of the motivation to release CD whether he wanted to or not.  Even if he just wanted to tour off the back catalogue after Slash and Duff left, he still would have no choice but to release CD at some point for the above reasons.

Personally I think he genuinely wanted to move forward, release new stuff regularly and establish nuGNR in its own right.  Sadly along the way that got all fucked up and now he just seems to be happy to trade mainly off the back catalogue.  I don't blame him for making a buck, but if he has changed his desire to create new music and move forward and is happy to trade off the nostalgia, get the old dudes back (if they will put up with him) and do it.  Otherwise, give your current bandmates some respect and actually get in the studio and record and release some new music with them.  Let the world see what they can do as a collective unit. Don't insult them by letting them spin their wheels for years on end, as they will eventually go the way of Bucket and Finck.

nice post Aussie

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

That really doesn't jive with Axl turning CD in to UNI a year before it was released and Azoff having to make the deal with BB to get them to put out. I think he really did want it released.

I agree about him putting himself in this position, though. Totally true.

But I do think it's a little weak to say he doesn't want to make new music, and I know you're not saying that directly, others are, because none of us know that. We do know that he's turned this into a touring band.

Again, any tour from any band that's made more than one record is going to be 95% nostalgia. I'll go back to Madonna, she tried to do a tour where she ONLY played new music once... And I emphasize once. She got tore to pieces for it, by the fans and critics, and she never did it again.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

True he probably does want to make new music, but because of the way he is, he's too pedantic, too scared, too perfectionist too everything, it somehow appears to make the creation and release of new music almost impossible for him.   I don't know what it is exactly but something definitely seems to make the whole process monumentally difficult for him.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

True he probably does want to make new music, but because of the way he is, he's too pedantic, too scared, too perfectionist too everything, it somehow appears to make the creation and release of new music almost impossible for him.   I don't know what it is exactly but something definitely seems to make the whole process monumentally difficult for him.

Agreed. He has a very strange process and approach when it comes to making music. He is the Thomas Harris of rock.

Board footer