You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Why are some people so opposed to a HOF reunion?

Olorin wrote:

I know this aint an original topic so feel free to merge with another.

Just looking around some of the other forums, mygnr and htgth in particular, and I see there are voices who looking towards any potential reunion at the Hall Of Fame with dread, as if it would be the most toxic thing that could happen to this incarnation of GNR.

Why's that then, why the hostility? I think it would be pretty fuckin cool to see my boyhood heroes up there together again, I just cant fathom how anyone can be so aggressively opposed to seeing the guys responsible for GNR's legacy share the stage once more.

It would be pretty fuckin cool... is there really any reason to look beyond that?

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I think some of the individual's on those forums are probably against it because they might have to eat some humble pie. They've trashed the shit out of Slash, vehently defended Axl saying he will never reunite or play with them again.  People should move on and not live in the past etc etc.

Then suddenly their man plays a few tunes with the old guys. Lol

johndivney wrote:

this ^ basically

the reunion is the last principle axl hasn't betrayed/sold out on.
it's the last illusion left, for want of a better term.

like there's some kinda moral high-ground to be surrendered by playing w/the AFD line-up.

which is ridiculous when put against the volume of fallacy & empty gestures that has played out alongside the remaining "i won't".

it's almost as if people have a vision of where this line-up is going. some idyllic paradise city where there's great music & concerts & even promo's & axl invites them round for a go on his pinball machine.
but they're denying reality. & assuming dj/ron/diz/tommy/robin/bucket are eventually gonna write gnr songs as good as izzy/duff/slash.

since DJ's arrival it has made little sense in not bringing back into the band at least Slash.

if we're going in this direction now Bucket & Finck are gone at least go for the real thing, y'know?

not the bad imitation.

it damages the music more than anything.

there is still a chance for great GnR music to be produced, but you need the great GnR writers there to do it. on that grounds alone the anti-reunionists should surrender their position.

Sky Dog wrote:

"All this machinery making modern music
Can still be open-hearted.
Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty.
One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but none of the reasons postulated here are correct for me.  I think the old lineup has zero possibility of doing anything from a creative standpoint.  Their creative paths have diverged so much in looking at the music on CD vs. Slash's record and VR, etc.  I think the current GN'R lineup has the potential to make some interesting and exciting music, so my preference is to move forward with that lineup.  For all the reasons that have been stated in the other thread, I think a one night reunion would make moving forward with the current lineup far more problematic.

Ali

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

They think they are Axl's best friend or something stupid

They think if they post enough in support of the new band, Axl will like them and maybe hook them up like Jarmo.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Sad thing is there's probably some truth to it.

I've never met Jarmo so I have no desire to talk shit about him, but I will say that from an external point of view, he was once a VR fan, then he seemed to have a change of heart, and not only became "pro axl" but very anti-slash - and it would seem that he was rewarded eventually by being given official credentials within the organisation. Maybe there's a different side to that story...but it seems a number of people within the "GNR family" are quite polarised about Slash. I guess to be fair to them they put up with a lot of Axl bashing as well.

It's also curious that the actual musicians like DJ and Bumble seem quite respectful to Slash. For DJ he was clearly an influence, and I think Bumble also respects the songwriting and the work he did to put GNR on the map. It's a shame that more fans can't be open minded.

I actually find it all very frustrating as I very much like both Axl and Slash and it pisses me off when everything becomes a war. Is it so bad for me to enjoy Slash+Myles and also enjoy Chinese Democracy? Seems like it sometimes.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, it has a lot to do with people knowing Axl reads the forums. They've gone to such lengths of devoting blind loyalty to Axl (ala jarmo) and they have so much invested in the new band, that it would be a HUGE letdown for them if the old band reunited. For most of them it isn't artificial. They REALLY believe in this version of Axl's GN'R (it doesn't matter who else is in the band) and have decided to pick sides in this stupid, made up war between old bandmates. When you put yourself out there that much for a band, you're going to get hurt and disappointed. jarmo in particular has created an atmosphere that caters and pushes and instigates that mindset, also. They absolutely would be devastated by a reunion.

I don't think there's a lot of difference between them and some of the die hard AFD era fans, though, tbh. The difference is the latter has pretty much tapered off during the years... And if there's a reunion, those people will return to the forums in droves. I'm sure that has something to with it, too. A lot of new line up fans left after Bucket and Robin split, too. Very similar passions.

I doubt there's really THAT many people who wouldn't want to see it. Anyone old enough to have seen them debut and became a fan back then can't not be happy to see them on stage again. .

No, you Johnny come lately's don't count 16

And there's no doubt in my mind we'll see them play together again. I've just never counted on it happening at the HOF.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

See thats the problem. I really BELIEVE in this version of the band also.

Just because i want to see them celebrate what they created one time together doesn't mean i hate the new band all of a sudden

Board footer