You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Why are some people so opposed to a HOF reunion?

Aussie wrote:

I would like to think that they could be civil to each other, just for one night.  To show that all of them have had at least some level of personal development over the years to the point where they can put their petty differences and bickering aside.

Sadly though, I feel that one individual doesn't appear to have grown or matured as a person one iota in the last 15+ years.  They still see this thing as a war, "last man standing" and all the other chest beating bullshit.  Equally as sad is there are fans that buy into this same bullshit and pick sides likes it's a school yard fight.  They are likely the people that are opposed to the HOF thing because they have aligned themselves to "Team Axl".  Therefore they must blindly oppose everything that is Slash and original GNR.

But the HOF thing is not about any of that shit. It's not about saying this lineup is better, or that person is good or bad.  It's just recognising a group of individuals that acheived something great during their time together. No more no less.  Playing together at the HOF is simply honouring that moment and that achievement.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Old band is better

C'mon

Anyone that argues different is not playing with a full deck

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I agree too D if I had to pick between the two, I would pick old.

But my point was not about that, it was simply stating that attending the HOF or supporting everyone going and playing at it, is not a statement to say old band is better than new band. It's also not a statement about which side of the feud you support.

People seem to see it like it is.  If I say I want to see them play at HOF then I must think old band is better.  I love the current lineup therefore I must be vehemently opposed to HOF.

I'm saying HOF is irrelevant as to which band you think is better. It's simply recognising what the old band achieved.  No more no less.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

They REALLY believe in this version of Axl's GN'R (it doesn't matter who else is in the band)

See I believe in both is my problem.

I do believe in the new GNR because I look at it like this: Bumble is one of the foremost guitarists skills wise on the planet, DJ has solid proven writing and production ability with Sixx AM, Richard who has killer chops and style and Tommy is a legit solid old school bass player and frank is a hardhitting great drummer. Add in potential contributions from Robin who performed successfully to my taste on the last album and buckethead who is also a virtuoso in the upperclass of guitarists, add that to W. Axl Rose - who to my taste has a spotless songwriting record and is generally considered one of the great all time front men and you have the potential for something truly bad ass. It's not even debatable to me.
The only question is when will they do it, but I'm sure if they do do it - a new GNR record from Axl's modern GNR project will kick fucking ass.

Then you have the old GNR. I don't even need to list their accomplishments. For most of us is why we're here in the first place. Lets just say my all time favourite band, and in my opinion, at their prime, probably one of the greatest rock acts to ever walk the earth if not the greatest. That's big I know. But there's only a handful of people who could touch the old band at it's prime. There's other contenders I guess...but in general the old band had that magic...that something that nothing else does....I don't want to say it but that danger...that charisma...it's well above normal band levels.

So yeah...of course I'd like to see it. But I sort of feel it's forcing it to do it just for this awards show or whatever. I'd like to see it happen more organically at some point in the future when everyone feels like seeing if the magic can be rebirthed - when it's done because all of them value what the others bring to the table and still want to create together - rather than out of some kind of public expectation.

At the moment it feels premature to me. Axl's been working on stuff with DJ. Slash is weeks out from the Apocalyptic Love launch and world tour. If they did it now it would be rushed, forced and I suspect tokenistic, I'd prefer it to happen when it's real oneday.....

misterID wrote:

And there's no doubt in my mind we'll see them play together again. I've just never counted on it happening at the HOF.

I do have a doubt. Because I see the factors that caused the split as things that won't be changing. The things the others want from Axl are the things he can't change about himself (eg need for control, ability to be predictable and come onstage with no risk of moods etc) the things Axl would need from them (submission, employeeship) are sort of insulting to the original members (see Izzy's rant on why he left) and unlikely to be something anyone would do unless they really needed to financially, and they just don't.

I pray oneday it will be creativity that heals it. Maybe it's worth putting up with Axl's bullshit to get his voice, and maybe it's worth putting up with Slash's bullshit to get his guitar tone. Maybe the songwriting could one day be put above the personal human shit. But i'm also not holding my breath TBH.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I pray oneday it will be creativity that heals it. Maybe it's worth putting up with Axl's bullshit to get his voice, and maybe it's worth putting up with Slash's bullshit to get his guitar tone. Maybe the songwriting could one day be put above the personal human shit. But i'm also not holding my breath TBH.

Sad thing is Axl's not inspired anymore by anyone's work around him. I've always thought Ashba would be his inspiration after Finck/Bh's departures and also, slash work after gnr has been everything but inspired or inspiring.

If Slash would keep releasing stuff that Axl would feel is inspiring and could adapt to his vision of current gnr, I guess lots of healing would apply naturally.

To me axl seems to hold some grudge against slash not e olving musically and he even said it in interviews in 08/09, so it would take a few slash albums and achievements in creativity to have axl to look at him again.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This is going to be controversial.

People always say Slash's post GNR work is uninspired, but I actually think the problem is Axl doesn't have any more lyrics in him for that style of music.

On a guitar riff basis most of Slash's post GNR work is just as good as the GNR riffs, Snakepit 1 was full of AFD style riffs, there are killer riffs hiding in VR, and there's bad ass guitar all over the solo album. It's not that slash's guitar has got any less inspired than it ever was, actually, chops wise it's improved.

I think it's axl's lyric writing has moved on. Not saying he's done creatively. The man is a genius and wrote some of the best songs ever. But I think he just doesn't have too many AFD type songs in him at the moment, he's full of stuff like the CD songs like catcher - which kickass but it's not Slash's signature sound other than to add solos.

So i think that's fundamentally the problem. Slash can give Axl a CD of awesome riffs tomorrow, but in Axl's head the music at the moment is probably more about ocherstras and other things. He's not at that place.

He wrote the AFD songs back when he was living a sleaze rock lifestyle..now he isn't his songs are going to be more philosophical and deep like catcher...but can you set something like that to the riff from "Watch This!"?

So in short...I don't think either of them has lost the edge, just that creatively they're no longer moving in the same direction.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

So in short, U are saying axl has turned into an emo pussy??

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This is going to be controversial.

People always say Slash's post GNR work is uninspired, but I actually think the problem is Axl doesn't have any more lyrics in him for that style of music.

On a guitar riff basis most of Slash's post GNR work is just as good as the GNR riffs, Snakepit 1 was full of AFD style riffs, there are killer riffs hiding in VR, and there's bad ass guitar all over the solo album. It's not that slash's guitar has got any less inspired than it ever was, actually, chops wise it's improved.

I think it's axl's lyric writing has moved on. Not saying he's done creatively. The man is a genius and wrote some of the best songs ever. But I think he just doesn't have too many AFD type songs in him at the moment, he's full of stuff like the CD songs like catcher - which kickass but it's not Slash's signature sound other than to add solos.

So i think that's fundamentally the problem. Slash can give Axl a CD of awesome riffs tomorrow, but in Axl's head the music at the moment is probably more about ocherstras and other things. He's not at that place.

He wrote the AFD songs back when he was living a sleaze rock lifestyle..now he isn't his songs are going to be more philosophical and deep like catcher...but can you set something like that to the riff from "Watch This!"?

So in short...I don't think either of them has lost the edge, just that creatively they're no longer moving in the same direction.

I get your point and I think that makes our points valid. Axl is not inspired by Slash's work.

But I think he can work on more riff-oriented songs, like on Scraped and IRS, that even if somebody says they suck, have great lyrics imo.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

Old band is better

C'mon

Anyone that argues different is not playing with a full deck

No, not necessarily.  It just means that they have a different opinion than you.  I know several people that prefer CD to AFD because, if nothing else, the AFD songs have much less lyrical and emotional depth.  Some people, just don't dig songs like "Anything Goes".

Ali

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

The lyrical depth and emotion on the UYI's shit on CD... just saying 16

And I dunno anyone who likes AFD for Anything Goes....

Board footer