You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

war wrote:

axl wouldn't keep touring with the same and consistent level of sales......

if he was breaking even.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

Glad you had a great time, man. Awesome write up. We were all wondering what your reaction was oging to be smile

I was wondering myself.  I was slightly bummed heading into the weekend.  I even had reservations of not wearing a GNR shirt due to the events.  But in support of those that DID SHOW UP, I manned up.  There were lots of Guns fans there too.  A good showing, though I think the Chili Peppers fans may have had outnumbered us.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

The fact Axl sold his publishing to Sanctuary for 20 million is proof alone he isn't THAT rich anymore.

I think the fact he is actually touring so much now may prove he isn't THAT rich anymore.

lawsuits are expensive.. just paying taxes and expenses are alot

Remember Slash talking bout all the money Axl blew on the UYI tour?

I found an article with Aerosmith or someone how venues charge thousands of dollars per min u are over curfew...

so its safe to say, Axl isn't THAT wealthy anymore.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

The fact Axl sold his publishing to Sanctuary for 20 million is proof alone he isn't THAT rich anymore.

I think the fact he is actually touring so much now may prove he isn't THAT rich anymore.

lawsuits are expensive.. just paying taxes and expenses are alot

Remember Slash talking bout all the money Axl blew on the UYI tour?

I found an article with Aerosmith or someone how venues charge thousands of dollars per min u are over curfew...

so its safe to say, Axl isn't THAT wealthy anymore.

I don't think that's safe to say at all without knowing his income from merchandise, licensing and royalties. 

Those are other revenue streams that have to be considered besides just touring income.

Ali

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah but how much is that per year compared to living expenses?

even if they sell 10k records a month... that isn't a lot of residual

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
killingvector wrote:

As Dexter said, it didn't happen.

Firstly, It's perspective. As i said in this thread pages and pages ago. The "threat" of Axl's reaction to a refusal doesn't have to be issued by him walking in and directly threatening to crack the shits. His prior conduct of causing riots, smashing stuff, randomly disappearing, delaying recordings, walking off stages and so on speaks for itself. Slash and Duff were well aware that these are the sorts of behaviours Axl exhibits when he doesn't get his way. They could impute what would happen next if they refuse.

Because that decision is based on an assumption by Slash and Duff (quite a logical one I'd add based on subsequent events), legally Axl's correct that he never directly threatened them and so it wasn't rasied as an argument. But practtically speaking and ethically speaking...it was undoubtedly a factor.

Secondly, even if it didn't happen, what Axl did was still not a nice thing to do to your friends. Call it swindling, call it a dick move, call it tricking, call it legit, call slash and duff fucking morons..but ...they used to be equal partners, then Axl gets them to sign all authority over to him, demotes them to employees, starts replacing things they've recorded. Have a read of Izzy's interviews when he left the band and he talks of all the contracts over everything being thrown at him, and how when he helped build the band and write the songs he's suddenly treated like hired help. It's a dick thing to do.

At the same time, I don't think I'm calling Axl evil or witch like, he knows he's turbulent and cant control it and he had to move to protect himself from being fired. He has to be in control for safety. Did what he had to do. That simple. But what doesn't make sense is why Axl demands they apologise to him now - when his own conduct is so tarnished.

Even if he didn't so it illegally - Axl took control of the band and started imposing his will on the people who with him made GNR what it was, and sadly, that's led to the current state of affairs - and bands that once looked up to GNR like Bon Jovi and U2 are now still megastars.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I actually can't watch more than a few seconds of those R&RHOF videos without getting overwhelmingly sad and angry that Axl couldn't set aside his pride for TEN FUCKING MINUTES to perform at that event. What a waste.

Izzy gets a free pass? Unbelievable

No fuck Izzy even more.

At least Axl has a reason not to go (he'd have to face the public about his new band vs his old band, deal with Slash etc). Wouldn't be much fun for him!

But Izzy...just rude.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yeah but how much is that per year compared to living expenses?

even if they sell 10k records a month... that isn't a lot of residual

It's not just record sales, it's radio play and sports play (and believe me, there is a shitload of this with WTTJ especially). I bet they make more money doing that than they do on record sales, which are in the shitter for the entire industry.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

monkeychow wrote:
killingvector wrote:

As Dexter said, it didn't happen.

Firstly, It's perspective. As i said in this thread pages and pages ago. The "threat" of Axl's reaction to a refusal doesn't have to be issued by him walking in and directly threatening to crack the shits. His prior conduct of causing riots, smashing stuff, randomly disappearing, delaying recordings, walking off stages and so on speaks for itself. Slash and Duff were well aware that these are the sorts of behaviours Axl exhibits when he doesn't get his way. They could impute what would happen next if they refuse.

Because that decision is based on an assumption by Slash and Duff (quite a logical one I'd add based on subsequent events), legally Axl's correct that he never directly threatened them and so it wasn't rasied as an argument. But practtically speaking and ethically speaking...it was undoubtedly a factor.

Secondly, even if it didn't happen, what Axl did was still not a nice thing to do to your friends. Call it swindling, call it a dick move, call it tricking, call it legit, call slash and duff fucking morons..but ...they used to be equal partners, then Axl gets them to sign all authority over to him, demotes them to employees, starts replacing things they've recorded. Have a read of Izzy's interviews when he left the band and he talks of all the contracts over everything being thrown at him, and how when he helped build the band and write the songs he's suddenly treated like hired help. It's a dick thing to do.

At the same time, I don't think I'm calling Axl evil or witch like, he knows he's turbulent and cant control it and he had to move to protect himself from being fired. He has to be in control for safety. Did what he had to do. That simple. But what doesn't make sense is why Axl demands they apologise to him now - when his own conduct is so tarnished.

Even if he didn't so it illegally - Axl took control of the band and started imposing his will on the people who with him made GNR what it was, and sadly, that's led to the current state of affairs - and bands that once looked up to GNR like Bon Jovi and U2 are now still megastars.

I don't agree with your opinion here at all.

Let's just leave it at that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Of course you don't KV, you've got an agenda to promote.

Like this is some sort of goddamn equal time town hall debate for President. roll

In regards to a few pages back, I just want to say that I DO NOT think Axl did anything illegal to acquire the name.

I think what he did was highly unethical, brilliant, and sneaky at the same time, but not illegal. He manuvered to get the name, got it, let the statute of limitations run out, quit the band, took it with him, and then requested them to become his employees. All legal eagle.

But Slash & Duff have full rights to look at Axl as the biggest tube steak of the last 30 years because of it.

Board footer