You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Green Day to Induct Guns N' Roses Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Rea

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

It could've been Kid Rock... So in the scheme of things... That's all I'll say.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

They should get Aerosmith or Motley Crue to induct GN'R. I'm sure Lars Ulrich could get up and say some great things for an induction too.

Green Day, I like them, but they kinda came out with a stance that made a joke of and was the antithesis to all the rock opera, that GN'R had turned into by that time (with the epic ballads & back up singers etc).

Huh?  Green Day's music has been set to a broadway show.  What's more rock opera than that?

That's what Green Day eventually turned into, but they started as a snotty pop punk band.

Maybe they are pretty well suited to induct then... 14

The more I think about it from the above viewpoint, the more it seems to make sense. Green Day went from a snotty punk club band, to an arena rock band with influence from Queen and alike.

Maybe this is not as bad a pairing as people might think...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Huh?  Green Day's music has been set to a broadway show.  What's more rock opera than that?

That's what Green Day eventually turned into, but they started as a snotty pop punk band.

The more I think about it from the above viewpoint, the more it seems to make sense. Green Day went from a snotty punk club band, to an arena rock band with influence from Queen and alike.

How dare you be positive 4:flame::flame:

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I don't mind Greenday so I'm not too fussed by this although it isn't an obvious choice. I have a feeling Greenday are GNR fans so that may have played a part.

Lomax wrote:

^^ Well written

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Yeah.  If you really think about it.  As great a band as Guns N' Roses was.  How many bands can you actually point to and say they were an offshoot of GNR?  It's not like they spawned a bunch of wannabe GNR soundalikes.  So there isn't an obvious choice to induct them.

Yes, you could choose a band/artist who GNR was influenced by, but it's a bit tougher the other way around.  So the points you make about Green Day, make as good a case as any other band IMO.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I like this song...

Only other thing I know about Green Day is their cd's are usually stored just below or beside Guns N'Roses cd's in music shops 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

GNR was the last great rock band of it's style is the problem.

But there are bands who have elements of the style.

Avenged Sevenfold: Influenced by UYI style epicness and Axl's screams. Added with a touch of metallica and a lot of modern hardcore, but there's some GNR influence.

Buckcherry: Modern day attempt at capturing the GNR/AFD and 1980s LA vibe of dueling sleazy guitars I think. They have a song "It's a Party" that's basically a rip off of PC right down to the style and layout of the song IMO.

I'm just dissatisified with Green Day as they're not really a Guitar band - more of a punk band there's like 3 chords max on their first album.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

A Private Eye wrote:

I don't mind Greenday so I'm not too fussed by this although it isn't an obvious choice. I have a feeling Greenday are GNR fans so that may have played a part.

Yeah that could be true. Billie said that he listened to a ton of music growing up and when Sweet Children their name at the time was starting out. He liked Queen, Black Sabbath, Crazy Train from Ozzy, and various hard rock, punk, and metal bands. Billie also helped induct The Stooges too; so he has some experience with the rock hall induction process and he even played with the guys too.

nugdafied wrote:

Oh nooooo....it never occurred to me til reading the article in Rolling Stone about Green Day doing the induction that they will play GNR's slot, ala VR playing a Van Halen medley. I imagine it would be Patience or a really bad joke of a AFD medley? I guess the RHCP will get top billing then?

Board footer