You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Does Talent create responsibility to use that talent?

Gibbo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

For the record I'm not trying to accuse Axl or anything, I'm just trying to sort out what my own thoughts on the subject are - even in topics outside of GNR - like my own band or people that write novels and so on.

For example, ever since DJ told that story about Axl sitting down and playing an awesome song at a piano one night that he'd never heard and Axl saying "it's just something I'm tinkering with".

It just makes me wonder. In some ways I agree he doesn't owe us anything at all, and should have the right to do what he pleases with his life. On the other hand, I can't get past the idea that if he dies (I hope not!) before doing those recordings then songs like that will be lost forever...which seems so wasteful!

Yeah so if he died in say 20 years hopefly not could the record company release any of his songs had recorded

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
gibbo wrote:

Yeah so if he died in say 20 years hopefly not could the record company release any of his songs had recorded

If Axl died tomorrow and his estate left control of any unreleased music in his "vault" to the Lebeis', we would be inundated with new music.  I reckon they would pimp everything out in a heartbeat.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yep thats what i was thinking mate all they would see is $$$$$$$$$

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I can see it now...the Axl casket...the 'Axl in Heaven' Doll...

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
gibbo wrote:

If Axl died tomorrow and his estate left control of any unreleased music in his "vault" to the Lebeis', we would be inundated with new music.  I reckon they would pimp everything out in a heartbeat.

Axl probably has a self destruct feature attached to the vault, when he dies so does the vault.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think we're all forgetting a very complicated element here. Guns N' Roses is not actually Guns N' Roses (please reserve rolling your eyes).

The key difference is this...

Axl took off with the GN'R name to his own devices. Yet we watched the old band members that made up the writing team, Slash, Izzy, Duff... hell, even Gilby to an extent, all run off and start recording solo album after solo album, while Axl sat on his ass for 7 years.

I'm sorry, but I do not see it MSL's way of "but yeah he worked hard, there's a vault".

If the fuckin' shit isn't released -- it doesn't exist. Period. Kinda like the tree in the forest making a sound analogy.

So when we all watched Slash, Izzy, Duff and even Gilby combined with their projects make NUMEROUS albums of material, you can't help but think if Axl had kept those writing teams together, whether 1985-91, or 1991-94 together, would we have gotten multiple albums?

Remember something, Slash & Duff both left because of lack of PRO-DUC-TIVITY being at the TOP of the list for reasons of getting out the fuckin' door. Slash & Duff wanted to be the Stones, hammering out albums every couple years, and with the GN'R brand name it would've been INSTANT-bank in that time period.

And Axl sat. "Pushing himself to greatness".... umm, yeah right. Creative juices do not flow faster when you go cold. You go cold. Keeping working is what keep creation flowing. It also can dilute and oversaturate your art as well, so that's something Axl & Izzy had above Slash & Duff.

Never forget, Guns N' Roses is a very unique, complex situation. But ultimately "does Axl owe us", normally i'd say "hell no", but in this case -- "HELL YEAH". He drove off band members who wanted to make albums, to do things HIS WAY, which is basically NO ALBUMS. Then he sat for so long that he ran up production costs to the point, that now the only way for him to release music is out of his own pocket, which delays things even further.

And guess what? Robin & Bucket LEFT because of lack of productivity. And guess what again? NOW, he's got another great group of guys in the band who are anxious as hell to write, and.... nothing.

But that's okay, Axl Rose doesn't owe you anything. No, not me. But he did owe Slash, Izzy & Duff at least. Axl Rose ROBBED them of that, and ultimately -- you the fan, music world, and rock history.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

But that's okay, Axl Rose doesn't owe you anything. No, not me. But he did owe Slash, Izzy & Duff at least. Axl Rose ROBBED them of that, and ultimately -- you the fan, music world, and rock history.

This is why I never got the hate for Slash. At 24 he probably believed that him and Axl could be the next Page & Plant..I mean...what a glittering prize to have hanging in front of you at such a young age..then for it all to go to shit because your singer:

- suddenly hates all of your shit after over ten years of great work together 
- won't work with you in the studio any more
- brings in an amateur guitar player friend to layer up on your recordings without your permission
- turns a fuck-you rock-n-roll tribe into bitter, in-fighting business partners buried under legal documentation and the associated legal and corporate hangers on.

Slash ended up playing with Snakepit to 400 people in Buttfuck, Idaho when he should have been in stadiums. He lost most of his thirties trying to just get back 20% of what he had with GNR.

I'd be bitter, pissed and very vocal about that. I think people should remember that before they accuse him of being the evil genius usurper of all things Axl.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash always said he felt something changed in Axl after Slash played with MJ, which Axl was pretty vocal about hating.

Personally?

I think EVERYTHING changed for Axl when Slash started being difficult and refusing to play on Axl's songs during the UYI recording process. I think Axl resented it, and it was never the same afterwards. Notice how Axl goes out of his way during the UYI period, including the liner notes to OVER-thank Slash for his soloing, and then years later shits all over it in interviews and basically says Slash was no good after Lies.

johndivney wrote:

I think ur clutching @ straws. Axl broke up the greatest American rock band ever because of Michael Jackson??
Sorry, even he's not that crazy. Axl disliked Slash from before AFD but the benefits outweighed the negatives. @ some stage that was rebalanced, but the antipathy was already venomous & existing.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm not grasping at straws... Slash said it. I'm just rolling with it.

But you're right, even Slash himself also said Axl had some MAJOR screws loose before they even got started, and Alan Niven suggested getting rid of him because of his unpredictable and erratic behavior.

Board footer