You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: GNREVO HOF tribute to Guns N' Roses.

misterID wrote:

Since none of us are really happy with what's going down in Cleveland, this moment should be about the fans and celebrating the band.

I'm making this thread for you guys to share your favorite moments, stories, post clips and performances about GN'R.

This isn't a thread to bash or attack the band or one another. This is about the experiences, stories and moments about GN'R that you want to talk about.

This is also about GN'R's history, members (past or present), accomplishments and most of all the music, that YOU feel is important to the band and to you personally.

Let me start of with this:  1987, I was watching MTV with my older brother on our old Zenith TV and we were making fun of every band that came on and every cheesy video... Then another video started. We saw the bus arrive on the street corner, the red headed farm boy with backwards Bob Segar cap, straw in his teeth, get off the bus and get approached by the sleazy drug dealer. This was a very different look than anything I had seen before in a rock video. It was dark, it was strange, it serious and it was brutal. The band was called Guns N' Roses.

It was the first time I had ever seen or heard this band. We started to make fun of the name, but then that riff started... And Axl's banshee scream... For the next 5 minutes we were absolutely blown away. There was nothing out there like it. It was The Rolling Stones meets the Sex Pistols. Even Axl's crazy "glam" star from hell look was amazing. And from that point further, I was a Guns N' Roses fan.

This was the most important moment to me in GN'R history:

[youtube]o1tj2zJ2Wvg&ob=av3n[/youtube]

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

A riot in St Louis. But I love that short show. They all were high on different drugs, it was their sloppiest day in the UYI times, but for me... it's Guns N' Roses, too.

Two of my favourites from that gig:

misterID

misterID wrote:

THE definitive show for the fab 5 GN'R. The Ritz.

MTV promoted this concert all day and played a documentary about GN'R in the lead up where Axl talked about Izzy moving into this neighborhood and all the neighbors left after a month of him living there. I kept MTV on all day until the concert premiered that night.

My favorite performance of SCOM. It was never the same after 1988.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

The first song I heard by Guns N' Roses on the radio. I had heard SCOM and WTTJ before, for sure, but this was the first time I knew it was a song by Guns N' Roses. Nightrain... well, I didn't like it first. It was in 1989, I was 12, and the hardest music I liked was Bon Jovi. 16 I listened The Beatles a lot, Phil Collins, and still some Pet Shop Boys 18:haha:
But Nightrain someway struck me. I thought it was too heavy and the singer couldn't sing... I even made fun of Axl's 'loaded like a freight train' part, that he's trying hard to sing 'nice', but he just can't. You know, it wasn't that sweet singin' I was used to, it was angry, blood-thirsty, agressive and very raspy. I didn't like it, but something made me listening it again and again... then found out they have other songs, like SCOM and WTTJ... I went to our local music store, it was in 1989 in Hungary, we were still under the Soviet Union, so it wasn't easy to buy an American band's record... they surprisingly had one album, Lies, and I bought it. I was disappointed, cause none of the songs I loved made this album. 14 I confess I didn't really like Lies, especially the 'G side' - the 'R side was more of my then music taste. Not much later I bought a pirate copy of AFD from a friend of a friend, who bought it in Italy... the rest is history. 21

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

THE definitive show for the fab 5 GN'R. The Ritz.

MTV promoted this concert all day and played a documentary about GN'R in the lead up where Axl talked about Izzy moving into this neighborhood and all the neighbors left after a month of him living there. I kept MTV on all day until the concert premiered that night.

My favorite performance of SCOM. It was never the same after 1988.

Fully agree about SCOM at the Ritz. Axl just couldn't sing it like that in later times for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, one of my favorite moments for GN'R is sort of overlooked by a lot of folks. The Late Show. Fucking brilliant performance by the coolest fucking band on the whole damn planet.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID

misterID wrote:

Tej, that's one of my favorite GN'R moments. I posted the whole thing once a long ass time ago when we had a "favorite performances" thread. It's definitely not that well known. IMO it's the best Axl and the original band sounded and looked. Killer stuff. 

Mikka, this is for you. The precursor to the downloading motherfuckers comment. 16

[youtube]yFyP_AgAeW4&feature=related[/youtube]

The show was bad, this performance was terrible, but it's still good, go figure.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Ok, prolly not counting at all but;

You won't get any closer to the resurrection of Christ than what you did with Axl Rose at this moment in time.

And this counts as one of the most kickass moment in time

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
DCK wrote:

You won't get any closer to the resurrection of Christ than what you did with Axl Rose at this moment in time.

That's not Guns N' Roses.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
DCK wrote:

That's not Guns N' Roses.

Jesus Christ man, can't you read??

Board footer