You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Hall of Fame Videos

Smoking Guns wrote:

So glad it all worked out.  I wonder if anyone did try to call Axl.  Duff maybe?  Who knows.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It also goes to show that secretly, deep down, Slash was hoping Axl would show up and they could bury the hatchet, and just play like boys, no different than back in the day. Just music, no drama. Duff also probably knew with Izzy, that Izzy would only show if Axl showed. Which means when Dee told Slash that Axl wasn't coming officially, he also probably knew Izzy probably wouldn't be there either.

I wonder if Gilby was already planning to be there, or was he also a late sub-in, no different than Myles.

Everyone here knows how critical of Myles I am, but by God he was stellar. He really was. He was NOT vintage Axl, but he was better than normal for Myles.

And yes, today I personally feel that Slash's band FAR out performances Sweet Child today than Axl's band. Myles vocally sings it better than Axl today (Axl's SUCKED on that song since 1993, I haven't cared for it ever in the new era), and because Axl sucks on it today, the lack of Slash's emotive guitar is glaring with the new GN'R performances.

But yeah, new GN'R is superior on Brownstone. Axl still sings it like Axl, the band does it well enough. Myles voice sinks Slash's version live. I believe the Chicago 2012 GN'R performance was quite good, that or Vegas 2011, can't remember.

As for the HOF show, I also want to give major props to someone who is being overlooked here -- Gilby Clarke. VERY cool of Gilby to just kinda drop in, keep a low-profile and fill-in for Izzy, the way it should be.

Gilby's appearence was almost a 'wink' to the diehard old Gunner, and a very nice touch. I know it was "just another version", but I can tell you this...

I will listen to Myles, Slash, Gilby, Duff & Steven AN-Y-TIME. They sounded amazing together. A VERY good combo of guys. And very much the spirit of Guns N' Roses.

Kudos to them all. They did a great job.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

And very much the spirit of Guns N' Roses.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Myles is too nice of a guy to really fit the spirit of Guns N' Roses, which always had an edgy Sex Pistols vibe because of Axl's aggression and mood swings. As much as people whine about these things, the fact is the music would have suffered if Axl was as nice of a guy as Myles back in the day. The vitriol in his voice is a big part of what elevated the band above everyone else in the business.

That being said, I would certainly enjoy watching Slash/Duff/Steven/Izzy perform without Axl. Wouldn't even mind Myles being in there, as long as they don't let his nasally, high pitched voice anywhere near Brownstone. 16

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Also something to take away is HOW GOOD OF FRIENDS Slash and Duff still are with Gilby, Matt, and Steven and now Myles.  Cause yesterday to me it was for each other too. Gilby and Myles were there for their friends just like I am sure Slash and Duff are their for them.  And also I think everyone knew what this meant for Steven too, and they made it happen.  The amount for man love these guys have for each other is really awesome.  And after all this shit, they all still seem really tight with Slash.  Which again makes you wonder, why Axl is the ONLY one that hates him.  Seems to me its an Axl problem, not a Slash problem.  Cheers for friends and being their for them.  Great job guys.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Also something to take away is HOW GOOD OF FRIENDS Slash and Duff still are with Gilby, Matt, and Steven and now Myles.  Cause yesterday to me it was for each other too. Gilby and Myles were there for their friends just like I am sure Slash and Duff are their for them.  And also I think everyone knew what this meant for Steven too, and they made it happen.  The amount for man love these guys have for each other is really awesome.  And after all this shit, they all still seem really tight with Slash.  Which again makes you wonder, why Axl is the ONLY one that hates him.  Seems to me its an Axl problem, not a Slash problem.  Cheers for friends and being their for them.  Great job guys.

I tend to think so too, but we don't know what happened that got Axl so mad in the first place. If Slash fucked his girlfriend, maybe that would explain the grudge. Who knows.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

True, but if he did that, that was a mistake.  An anomaly because his track record shows that he appears to be a friend for life.  A loyal dude that is their for his friends.  Remember, he helped get Steven clean, and there was no money or glory in that.  He did it for his friend.  You see what I am saying here?  Axl doesn't want to play with Steven for fear of getting sued.  Slash doesn't worry about that shit.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

And very much the spirit of Guns N' Roses.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Myles is too nice of a guy to really fit the spirit of Guns N' Roses, which always had an edgy Sex Pistols vibe because of Axl's aggression and mood swings. As much as people whine about these things, the fact is the music would have suffered if Axl was as nice of a guy as Myles back in the day. The vitriol in his voice is a big part of what elevated the band above everyone else in the business.

That being said, I would certainly enjoy watching Slash/Duff/Steven/Izzy perform without Axl. Wouldn't even mind Myles being in there, as long as they don't let his nasally, high pitched voice anywhere near Brownstone. 16

Ummm... okay.

I don't really give a shit about Myles being too nice or their "vibe".

Other than Myles, the rest of them are all older.

I was talking about MUSICALLY, which is all that matters.

That lineup fits the GN'R spirit, because you can hear Slash & Duff musically which make up the primary heart of GN'R musically, Steven hitting the drums making the groove and tempo, Gilby filling in for Izzy but still adding that heavily-Stones influenced tone...

Only real outsider is Myles. The rest sounds like Guns N' Fuckin' Roses to me.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

True, but if he did that, that was a mistake.  An anomaly because his track record shows that he appears to be a friend for life.  A loyal dude that is their for his friends.  Remember, he helped get Steven clean, and there was no money or glory in that.  He did it for his friend.  You see what I am saying here?  Axl doesn't want to play with Steven for fear of getting sued.  Slash doesn't worry about that shit.

Given Axl's nutjob mental state, I don't know if he would view it as just a mistake. He would probably view it as betrayal and then hold a serious grudge about it, especially if it was Stephanie. But who the hell knows. It could simply be that Axl's pride is too big for him to admit he has been wrong for 20 years, so he just keeps digging in even more.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Guys..there is no huge scandal behind the Slash Axl rift. Please let that one go.

Beta or Fernando would have blabbed that all over the media by now. They couldn't keep that kind of shit to themselves and would jump on any opportunity to rubbish Slash. If Slash really did something that bad, why would all the old guys still be his friend?

Some dude was quoted recently here that  Axl was telling a gathering of musicians that he hates Slash because he tried to take over GNR and messed with his creativity. The word 'obsessed' was mentioned.

No mention of fucking anyone's girlfriend was made or even alluded to.

What Axl won't acknowledge is that his obsession with Slash has blocked his own creativity. Once again he's trying to blame others for his own failings.

Slash called Axl out on being a dick for taking GNR.
The only way Axl could bury that accusation was to release an album of music so good that the world would look to Axl and say "you were right to take the band from the old guys, this music is SOOOOO much better".

Problem was, this level of pressure he put on himself created such a huge fear of failure that it took him 15 years to have the balls to take on the GNR legacy with CD and even then the album was ripped from his hands and forced to market.

He blames Slash for the near impossible task he ended up with - bettering AFD and the UYIs... the fact is that this was his own doing. He realised that his ego was writing checks his talent couldn't cash.

Please remember that Slash did go to Axl's house to try to sort things out only to be rebuffed and subsequently shit upon in a public message from Axl that was revoked and changed but designed to inflict the most damage on the guy.
That is not an honorable way to live your life.

Slash is not some evil genius, he's just a nice bloke/dodgy junkie who wrote blues guitar.
Axl is not some hugely wronged and tragic individual by the same token. He's a manic obsessive whose talent and paranoia have worked for and against each other with spectacular and pathetic results in equal measure.

This is not Watergate, its just a rock n roll band who lost perspective.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I just cant wait for a pro shot

Board footer