You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Howard Stern/Eddie Trunk on GNR

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

He's always been an Axl fan, though. He outright bashed Slash for showing up at the HOB show, because he was trying to mess with Axl's head. But then he turns around and kisses Slash's ass when he's in the studio. It's hard to judge him sometimes. Because I've seen him tear Axl apart, too.

Howard talks a lot of shit, but he uses kid gloves in interviews too. He definitely wouldn't let that question go, but he won't push it into dangerous territory. He can actually be a very good interviewer.

Yeah, Howard will bash pretty much anyone who deserves bashing when they're not in the studio.  But he's always respectful to his guests when they're on his show.  Listeners even call up after the guests leave and ask him why he went so easy on them, and he tells them it's not his point to invite them on his show and bash them.  That's not the goal.  If they're nice enough to come in and do an interview, he'll treat them with the respect they deserve.

Howard is a master interviewer too.  He's not the most knowledgeable in all areas, but he's got a pretty good staff that feeds him relevant information.  He'd certainly want to ask Axl about Slash and get to the bottom of that.  Who knows if Axl would agree to that or not, he'd probably tell them no Slash questions.  But, as we all know, sometimes Axl says that yet he brings up Slash himself.  Howard would pounce on that, and try to get him to open up.  If Axl resisted, he'd back off.  But Howard has a great ability to not let an important subject go away.  He'd slowly try and bring it back there, sometimes the guests don't even realize it's happening until it's too late.  He makes the guests feel so comfortable, they divulge way more than they should or originally planned on.

I would LOVE to see it happen, being a huge Stern fan and Axl fan.  But, I'm not holding out hope.  First off, the hours don't exactly seem to fit into Axl's schedule unless he pulls an all nighter.  The show runs from 6-10am Monday-Wednesday.

Although, @gunsnroses certainly took notice of Howard's "kind" words by plugging www.howardstern.com today.  So maybe there's a chance.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Howard Stern is Howard fucking Stern.

HE KNOWS what he's doing. If he can't do it right, Axl is crazy, and no one can do it right.

I think Axl's reached a point that he'll take on Slash questions head on, especially from Howard. Where he would get uncomfortable is the sexual stuff, Erin & Steph, who's he banging now, Lana, Sasha, Beta, Vanessa.

Axl could walk out on that.

Nice comments from Eddie.

IS HE FUCKING SERIOUS ABOUT FOREIGNER?

I didn't know Mick Jones was quitting. That is fucking INSANE. So you literally have Foreigner running around, called 'Foreigner' and there is literally NO ONE in that band that was originally there. WOW.

I know Paul & Gene have talked about doing that with KISS when they retire.

I wonder if you'll see the day that Axl runs out Guns N' Roses with everybody you see now, but Sebastian Bach on lead, and calls it "GN'R" and then just rakes in the cash.

Kill me now

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

For a guy who hadn't done a video interview since 1992 the Trunk thing was a ridiculous affair. Talk about dropping the ball. The worst Axl interview ever.

Howard? Would probably be better, but I doubt he's waiting around for 6+ hours in case Axl may or may not show up. For a guy so adverse at making plans I'm surprised he even gets on stage regularly.

A book is what we need. That could potentially be a huge moneymaker for Axl too.

johndivney wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I wonder if you'll see the day that Axl runs out Guns N' Roses with everybody you see now, but Sebastian Bach on lead, and calls it "GN'R" and then just rakes in the cash.

well rem - GnR have actually played w/out ANY AFD-era members on stage - when Axl hadda go off in london 06 & Baz filled in.

it's not w/o precedent.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

A book is what we need. That could potentially be a huge moneymaker for Axl too.

it would be a huge moneymaker for axl.
but i disagree. it's not what we need.

we need new music. he can communicate far better in his songs than he can in interviews or his fucking letters.

his songs are his best method for getting his msg/truth/story out there.
but he refuses or can't for however many bs reasons.

new songs >>>>>>>>>>>>>> a fucking book full of axl's mad ramblings

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Definitely not before new music, totally agree. It's just the way to go if he really wants to tell his side of the story.

Make it coincide with a new release would be perfect. The wild card with Beta as manager is that she might be the first to really benefit from promoting the new band instead of a reunion, and have the ability to convince him into doing it.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I didn't know Mick Jones was quitting. That is fucking INSANE. So you literally have Foreigner running around, called 'Foreigner' and there is literally NO ONE in that band that was originally there. WOW.

Kill me now

Stranger things have happened.

Have you heard the story about Boney M? I only recently heard some DJ on the radio talking about it.

Boney M had a show in Norway at the same day another version of Boney M was playing a show in Germany!

According to their wikipage, "a court ruling of 1990 stated that all four members are entitled to perform their own Boney M. shows"

Axl touring as GNR suddenly doesn't sound so weird...:haha:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Well band divisions were notorious from that generation of late 80's, sunset strip.

It's just none were as HUGE as Guns N' Roses on an almost biblical scale.

LA Guns has had two versions for years. The Tracii Guns (guitar) version. And the Phil Lewis (vocals) one.

Sebastian Bach doesn't have the name Skid Row, but basically tours as such. So you've got Baz solo vs. Skid Row without Bach.

There was a nasty fight between Taime Downe, vocalist of Faster Pussycat and the guitarist (forget his name). At one time there were two versions of FP running around. Eventually Downe won out, and tours exclusively as Faster Pussycat, with just himself and a whole different lineup.

White Lion had a similar battle. Which version will win out.

Ratt went into the same problem, but it was short-lived. When Ratt toyed with the idea, and temporarily replaced lead singer Stephen Pearcy, there was a battle of "they can't do that". When led to rumors of Pearcy's Ratt vs. Pearcy-less Ratt. Eventually they just reformed and released a comeback album.

Then there's Jack Russell's Great White versus the other Great White.

etc

etc

etc

HUGE problem from that scene, with Axl's situation obviously being the most popular and high profile of the bunch.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If Axl writes a book, he'll need a shit hot editor who can reach into all of that dense prose and pull out the real story.
I struggle to get what the guy is saying sometimes.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Nice comments from Eddie.

Eddie Van Halen mentioned on Stern a few years back about Wolfie carrying the VH torch after he retires, and Wolfie's kids, and so on.  Keep it in the family, it'll technically always be VH.

I know Eddie takes a lot of crap sometimes, but I thought he explained the whole GNR situation quite well.

And I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Foreigner without any original members.  It was their first show as such, as Mick was ill.  I had no idea at the time until I read it in the paper the next day.  Funny thing is, they were quite possibly the best band of the night, over Journey and Night Ranger.

Board footer