You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Slash in CD sessions 2001? Illusions reunion in 96?

otto wrote:
Bono wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

In my opinion Axl has one big problem: GNR as it is today has so many faces to the casual audience.

In old Guns it was Axl, Slash and Duff. Izzy was never on the spotlight, drummers were never a point of concern to the average Joe.

In new Guns you had Moby. Then Chris Vrenna. Then An ever growing liat of guitar players that were enlisted but never even became members of the band but milked on the publicity GNR gave 'em. Then Tommy. Finck. Years of silence and the Buckethead. Finck again. Fortus. Bumblefoot. (i wont be numbering drummers and kb players for the sake of argument but you get the point). Ashba.

I think the opposite. The band didn't have enough faces. The out-of-the-loop guys who can't talk about anything and didn't have (don't have) the chance to show their talent with new music will never be recognized. Never. A mask and a yellow rain coat will only make you a weirdo and not a legend, if that's all you can give to the public, for whatever reasons (Axl tongue).
Randy Rhoads became Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde became Zakk Wylde cause they wrote helluva new stuff. Not because they played Iommi's stuff better or worse for 2 decades.

ottosporteman wrote:

That's the main problem, people cannot relate to a Guns N Roses anymore, just to Axl.

I see two solutions: assume Axl is GnR and do not try to sell a band image
Or
Negotiate long term commitment to release and touring and set what is GNR to a five men lineup, with others being Teddies, Tracies and Robertas as in additional touring musicians.

Something like this:
Guns N' Roses is Axl, Tommy, Ashba, Bumble and Ferrer. On tour we're joined by pittman, reed and fortus.

The problem is the lack of new music. Period. The fact that they are employees who are too afraid to talk about anything (and Axl barely talks - if he does, it often makes things worse or just a vague, double' talkin' bullshit), just makes it even worse. Axl can send out band pictures with every press release, it won't change anything.
They can cry as much they want about people still associate Slash with Guns N' Roses - hell, it'll always be the case. The guy just did too much great music to be forgotten. Write and release a shitload of quality new music and even other people will be associated with Guns N' Roses. Then we'd have two or more eras in the band's career, just like Ozzy had a Black Sabbath era with Tommi, an early solo era with mostly Randy and a long solo era with Zakk.
But in GN'R's case it's the Live Era with Slash, then the Dead Era, and now we're in the Zombie era with 70-80 percent of the material they play live is still written by Slash, Duff and Izzy. What a joke. And Axl is crying about Slash's image being associated with GN'R too much? Wake up, you're making it worse every night.
Man up, write and release new music, then play it instead of 75 percent of AFD and a growing percent of UYI. Choose new covers if needed, but not the ones people associate with classic GN'R. Don't live in the past, don't try to sell that it's the same band, just 'some players changed'. Live in the present and work, work, work. You still have a few years to prove your and your new new band's worth.

There is NOTHING else to say. Mikka just said it all and nailed it.  22

EXACTLY.

Without music being RELEASED, no line-up or new chapter will be even mentioned on the history books.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
smoke wrote:

I get what you're saying, but putting aside my enjoyment of Robin's playing style, I think over time Axl could have just had Fortus/Bumble up front on the classic stuff, and still made good use of Robin for collab and the newer (at the time) stuff.

Either way, the world of GNR is a world of what-ifs, unfortunately.

So your "go-to" guy is going to sit in the background for 75% of the show?  I don't buy it.  If he's worthy of being a go-to guy, there's no need to hide him for 75% of the show.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

In my awesome dream world, that 75% would have naturally shrunk over time. That's the same place where CD came out in 2001 and we've already got at least two more albums.
Yeah, I had smoked last night when I started this line of thought.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
smoke wrote:

Yeah, I had smoked last night when I started this line of thought.

Hold on. You smoke, Smoke? You just blew my mind.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

<mindfreak>

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

To be fair, DJ has never written with someone even close to Axl's talent before. 

If I had to take a guess I'd say the current lineup will make a more straight ahead hard rock album that the general public claims to want from Guns.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm beginning to sour on "Axl's talent"...

Elton John and Bernie Taupin used to write brilliant records in a fucking weekend...

Appetite was a true collaborative effort... UYI had great moments, but , it too was a collaborative effort with leftovers, alternate takes, and covers... and it took 4 yrs to shake it out of them...

Since then... in 20 years, all I've seen  out of Axl is one album worth of decent/good material... Not "The Greatest Album Ever Recorded" as we were led to believe CD was going to be...

He may be solely responsible for some of my favorite songs ever... but come the fuck on....

Compare him to a guy like Chris Cornell....  Sure, some of his shit has left me scratching my head, but at least there is a damn good and diverse body of work to show for the last two decades...

That's talent, IMHO..

If Uncle Axl wanted to impress me, he'd lock himself in a studio for a month the the band he has, and write and record a record. NOW. The "Down II" treatment... just go somewhere and fucking do it. Have all of them just live at his mansion in malibu...
You want to truly "rebuild Gn'R"... Then do what the old band did... Live together, write together, and just fucking get it done...

(Can you guys tell I just read Reckless Road?) 16

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i don't think talent is the issue there

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Talent IS the issue... When it comes to writing music... Any artist, if given enough time, could write decent shit. The truly talented guys can make something great out of dogshit. More than likely in a short timeframe... Good material just oozes out of them.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I agree about getting the band together to write - just reading Duff book and that sense of camaraderie and hunger really comes through.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding the talent talk:

To me:

1. Some of the psychological forces that make Axl's music great is probably also likely to inhibit it. (Eg, sensitivity, anger, frustration, anxiety). These things can be harnessed for success but can also be debilitating.

2. I think that being prolific is a separate skill of it's own. Respect to some performers that have the ability to do that, and, consistently write at high artistic levels. But it's also true that many creative genius type people have been sporadic at best. (Eg Leonardo didn't paint all that often). One thing i will give Axl is that although he doesn't output often - i think everything he does output is of a strong artistic standard - even the non-standard songs like My World and OMG are interesting to me lyrically and in their construction.

3. I think there's a lot to be said for how song writing changes in different situations. When you're equals in the project, living together all the time, songs grow organically. When you are in sole charge of a production, working musically sporadicly along with running a whole organisation, jamming with others remotely or in situations where you spend money to do it, and where you're life enviroment is entirely different, and where it's up to you to make everything happen...then it's logical that your songs will be of a different nature. They can still grow and change and be interesting...but it happens differently. Axl's songs don't evolve in the back of a car at a pub, or at the "hell house" but over different weekends over years in a studio some place now.

Board footer