You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

Re: Duff on the HoF Ceremony

jonesy wrote:

When duff said watching it made him sad the original 5 didnt stay together, that really resonated with me, it was like, yeah, me too watching that. Me too.

However, what's been has been, move on etc. 

I read this from James Hetfield in the new So What mag thing they are doing, apologies if its already been posted (didnt see it, but hey, I'm tired). This is the way it should have been handled:

"In an interview that is featured in a special edition of METALLICA's So What! magazine called "Metallica The 30th Anniversary Event", Hetfield said, "We learned a lot from the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame about maturity and grace, as far as previous members and things like that — especially after watching other bands get up there and bicker about stupid things. They didn't get the big picture. Excuse me, but there's a lot of people out there that enjoyed that lineup, or a lot of people grew up with that lineup, and why are you not celebrating that? Why are you not embracing that as part of your history? And it's sad and it's selfish. And because we were able to have Dave onstage [at the Fillmore] and Jason [Newsted, former METALLICA bassist] and Bob [Rock, former METALLICA producer] and all these other people that were part of our history, we were able to rise above the bickering and celebrate it."

Thats class, and that was awesome for the fans.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

One of the best things Metallica has done in years for both themselves, the fans, and the alumni & staff. Especially since Jason leaving the band back in 2001 was a poor decision on their part.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
jonesy wrote:

When duff said watching it made him sad the original 5 didnt stay together, that really resonated with me, it was like, yeah, me too watching that. Me too.

However, what's been has been, move on etc. 

I read this from James Hetfield in the new So What mag thing they are doing, apologies if its already been posted (didnt see it, but hey, I'm tired). This is the way it should have been handled:

"In an interview that is featured in a special edition of METALLICA's So What! magazine called "Metallica The 30th Anniversary Event", Hetfield said, "We learned a lot from the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame about maturity and grace, as far as previous members and things like that — especially after watching other bands get up there and bicker about stupid things. They didn't get the big picture. Excuse me, but there's a lot of people out there that enjoyed that lineup, or a lot of people grew up with that lineup, and why are you not celebrating that? Why are you not embracing that as part of your history? And it's sad and it's selfish. And because we were able to have Dave onstage [at the Fillmore] and Jason [Newsted, former METALLICA bassist] and Bob [Rock, former METALLICA producer] and all these other people that were part of our history, we were able to rise above the bickering and celebrate it."

Thats class, and that was awesome for the fans.

Very classy.  Unfortunately Axl is not as rational as James.  In fairness to him though, the two situations were vastly different.  Axl has been put (or put himself into, depending on how you look at it) in a situation that I don't think has existed in the history of Rock.  There was no blueprint on what was the "right" thing to do.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They didn't jam with Dave at the HOF. They made him sit out in the fucking audiance, which made him feel like shit. Then they go on and on about Dave bitching about shit. Shut up, James. Dude is the biggest dick in rock. Ask anyone who's come into contact with him. It's easy to be "all about the fans" when you're friggin charging them for every little thing you possibly can. Errr, never mind me. I love Metallica's music but I really can't stand James Hetfield.

I understand what you're point is, though, jonesy.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sounds like it was all one way traffic with your aunt and she is a real piece of work. Your dad was a good guy and helped her out and she fucked him over. Unlike your father I'm Not so sure that Axl is without sin in your analogy though.

That's a fair point, Aussie. Well taken.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

[youtube]ruk9wl11Upc&feature=related[/youtube]

Watching this you can clearly see the blast Duff is having, as well as Stephen.  Gilby is just so fucking cool.  I am so glad he was there, so fitting he had to fill in for Izzy, again.  Lol..  Fucking killer performance.  Just perfect.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sounds like it was all one way traffic with your aunt and she is a real piece of work. Your dad was a good guy and helped her out and she fucked him over. Unlike your father I'm Not so sure that Axl is without sin in your analogy though.

That's entirely pointless. ID is right. In Axl's mind, and through "his truth" and perception, if he truely thinks he had something special with Slash, you have no clue about the conversations they had over the years. Izzy himself said "Axl could remember coversations back from 1983". Axl & Slash used to bunk together, across the world, when GN'R first took off. What they'd do, how they'd do it, what GN'R would become.

By 1995, Axl remembered it all like it had happened yesterday. Slash forgot, didn't care, didn't care to remember, and frankly never took it seriously. That alone could've been a HUGE hit to their friendship, something Axl took very personally. When Slash went to the press, and basically played up Axl's reputation, that was the final straw.

Even if Axl was the asshole who stole the band name from them, doesn't mean Axl's feelings on the issue on just as real, and just as valid. He might be a delusional puss, but in his mind he might be truely making a statement for himself, and ultimately the fanbase. I think him keeping the door cracked for Slash, is another way he basically puts the ball right back in Slash's hands, so Axl can turn around and tell himself, "I tried".

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

n8A91.jpg

just throwin this out there as I just found it on someones page.  oh and something about Axl showing up for 1 party at least big_smile

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

16 the halo over Bono's head is pretty funny.

Board footer