You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Moscow, Russia (2 Show Discussion)

faldor wrote:

Looks like the same exact setlist from last night, except for DJ's solo being different. 

Sometimes I wonder if they do this just to mess with us.  I mean, they read the boards.  They know the forums get outraged by the setlists.  So I wouldn't put it past them to play the same exact setlist 2 nights in a row in the same city to say, F-U, deal with it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

russtcb wrote:

Serious question;

Am I alone in saying that just a shake up would help? Even if GN'R played the same exact set list just in a wildly different order, I'm not sure why but that would make a difference to me.

No. It'd be cool to hear some other Illusion songs but that's not gonna cut it. It's 2012 and we've all been told to move on yet Axl himself lives via nostalgia. 

If they aren't gonna play new songs or have no intention of releasing a new album then just fucking say so. Stop being so cryptic. Basicaly stop lieing to the fanbase. be straight up with what's happening. They can't do that though because Axl in 2012 is a fucking chicken shit. His safety net is to rely on the past and what the past members created. Axl is a shadow of who he was 20 years ago. He was a bad ass frontman with no fear of anything or anyone. These days he's a fucking pussy afraid to break free from his past. Where's the guy that wanted to bury AFD? He's long gone that's for sure.

It's just sad that he's become a joke and has done it to himself based on an inability to move forward. Switching the setlist and adding more Illusions tunes would be nice but really it would just be a smoke screen. And avoidance tactic from moving forward. he's had almost 20 years now to come up with some material. There's no reason why he couldn't  rotate one of  5-7 unheard songs into the setlist on any given night. 

Show some balls. Show some initiative. Show some passion. Show some ambition. Show some creativity. Show some integrity.  All of these things are lacking.

As for a new album there is  no excuse for not having one or 2 new albums since CD's release. All this garbage about how much material they had and how amazing it is is just blah blah blah. It's such horseshit. If they have it why so affraid to release it. If they don't have it why say they do.

Sky Dog wrote:

it's shit or get off the pot.....And it stoned me to my soul....Van the Man. Axl who?

Sky Dog wrote:

the water...let it run all over me....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

. Switching the setlist and adding more Illusions tunes would be nice but really it would just be a smoke screen. And avoidance tactic from moving forward.

I must say I felt that way about Estranged. Like everyone went nuts. But if you think about it - it was kind of odd that it was ever abandoned in the first place.

You know things are stagnant when a 1991 song is reintroduced and we lose our shit because it's something new and modern.

My question is what happened to the other "new" tracks. Where is "There Was a Time?", Where is "If the World"?, Where is "Scrapped"?

Even though I know many on here don't like CD all that much, I think if the setlist was like nearly all of CD and then just 1 or 2 classics for an encore you would at least feel it's axl showcasing what he's done without the old guys.

Let alone if the newest of the new lineups got to do a song they actually contributed to...(bumblefoot's shackler solo excepted).......

But I've come to the conclusion there must be a reason.

As i said earlier. Why does Axl sing them funny now, why does he not change the set list, why does the band release nothing new, why is almost any possible management decision fucked up regardless of who the management is. Why is there such palpable anger to past associates that can't in any way heal even if he didn't want to work with them again?

I think maybe Axl's "problems" are deeper than we realise and he simply  does what he can...but as with all untreated depression/anxiety and so on...it tends to keep getting worse.

I think Axl does his best. And that's one album in 15 years and tours of the same set list. And I think he suffers a shit load to make even that much happen.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

They should release another best of with 2 new songs or something if they are still gonna tour.

Bono

Bono wrote:

regardless of Axl's personal or professional or possible mental issues he's his own worst enemy because  Axl Rose seems to live in the past more than anyone I've ever known or know of. His inability to move forward and get over the past has got to be absolutely suffocating. Honestly it's time to embrace what it is he chose to have and stop wasting his eneregy on things he doesn't. IE: hatred for past members, girlfriends, business relationships, whatever. Just fucking move already.

Bono

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

They should release another best of with 2 new songs or something if they are still gonna tour.

A best of what though? Slash related material?  Thats' the problem. he hasn't even done enough in 15 years to warrent a  best of new era material. His best of would consist of a rerelease of CD.  And to be honest there should never be a release that features old era material intermingled with new era material. It's just off.

unless of course it's a live album or dvd.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Serious question;

Am I alone in saying that just a shake up would help? Even if GN'R played the same exact set list just in a wildly different order, I'm not sure why but that would make a difference to me.

The is a truely good question, and here's the thing. The fans (not Axl) are in a rock and a hard place. The setlist that currently bounces around at there that pretty much defined the 2011-12 North American tour is honestly THE BEST setlist of the entire new era. Bar none.

It is the most balanced, honest, "everything most would want" setlist you could ask for. 7 AFD songs, 1-3 Lies songs, 6 UYI songs, 6-8 CD songs, 0-2 covers. That's pretty damn balanced.

I personally think shaking it up AND alternating select album cuts could be something alot of fans would appreciate, per tour, if they are just gonna be a nostaglia act. It'd also be alot cooler of them to work up some new covers that actually mean something to the current band. Think if Tommy jammed "You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory". What if Ron & Richard worked up a Stones cover (not Wild Horses), or something totally off the mark if DJ convinced Axl into covering a Crue song.

I know it's crazy, but it's different. Something off the mark, so it's not Whole Lotta Rosie over and over.

Shaking up the setlist would be cool. What if Civil War was used to open the show? Then save Jungle all the way for the encore? Maybe possibly turn Live and Let Die into an alternate, and use Perfect Crime to open certain shows, and others on the opener. Bump Chinese Democracy back to the encore's only, and drop the pyro sequence.

Appetite: These songs are staples. They are going NOWHERE. And they shouldn't. Sure I get the "old band" argument, but this is Guns N' Roses (bottom line) and Jungle, Easy, Nightrain, Mr. B, PC and at least SCOM, if not also RQ will ALWAYS be performed at a GN'R show. Hell even Slash & Steven solo perform quite a few of those themselves It's their legacies.

Turn Patience into an ALTERNATE (been begging for this for years). Drop Lies off entirely. Love it, but just an unnecessary tie to the old band for no reason. RIP.

Add more UYI I songs, and alternate between UYI II.

I.e., if LALD is played = NO KOHD.
If KOHD is played = no LALD.

If Civil War is played, alternate off-days with a double dose of Perfect Crime & Dead Horse.

If Patience is played, NO Don't Cry, and vice versa.

Alternate Shackler's Revenge & Scraped. Shackler's some nights, Scraped others. Chinese becomes an alternate encore opener. Bring back Catcher In The Rye and alternate it with If The World. Drop Madagascar entirely.

jmho

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

But what they should REALLY do is...

PLAY NEW FUCKING SONGS.

6 AFD songs, 4 UYI songs (no LALD & KOHD), 5 CD songs, 5 CD II songs, and occasionally 2 covers, or 2 Lies songs.

Board footer