You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash - Anastasia and the Rest of the Album

Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think the biggest slash fanboys are probably me, gibbo, metallex, d, and mikka.

The biggest axlites are probably russtc, Ali, and mr.id.

I would be an Axlite as well. I am into unique singing voices and lyrics first and foremost. Being a big Dylan fan will do that to you! I still love Slash though...how can I not? His guitar tone is the perfect match for Axl. We all know that....the rest is just petty debating to me....arguing to argue.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know if I should be happy or sad not to be included on the Slash list.  A couple years ago I'd have been on the list for sure, so either I've become less of a fan, less outspoken, or more objective.  Not sure how I feel about any of that...

Sky Dog wrote:

you are objective in your evaluation of his post Guns work...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

you are objective in your evaluation of his post Guns work...

I always have been.  I don't think that's changed.  I still prefer it to Axl's work overall, and right now I think he's playing great.  The songs aren't as complex as some of the GnR stuff was, but to me the issue has always been the singer.  I like STP, but even with VR my first response when putting the CD in was wtf is this...fortunately it grew on me.

It's becoming more apparent to me that I am not going to like ANY singer other than Axl playing with Slash.  I mean not liking one or two is understandable, but when Scott is the only one I can even tolorate, it makes me wonder if the problem is with me and not with the singers.  There are singers that can sing but can't really write (Bach for example).  Slash needs a writer that can also sing.  Right now I'm not convinced he has either (and I actually think Myles has moments of being that guy from a singing standpoint, but not enough of them).

I still say what Axl and Slash had was a magical, once in a generation type of complimentary collaboration.  It's too bad the thing that made them special is the same thing that tore them apart.  I know it's a stretch to compare them to Lennon/McCartney, but the parallel is there (minus the body of work).  Conflicting strengths that when brought together created special music.  Conflicting personalities that when brought together created strife that ultimately destroyed the magic.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm defintiely an Axl fan, and I've been pretty open that he was the big reason I followed GN'R. And just with musical taste, I prefer CD and Axl's direction. And if there's some nonsense to start bashing him, I'll stick up for him. But if anyone knows me from HTGTH knows I can't be labled an Axlite. I invented that term!!!

If Slash got with Cornell, or even Robert Plant (even right now) they could bring out the best of Slash. The fact he's teamed up with Myles just kills me and says everything about my problem with his music.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Cornell is a real hit or miss songwriter to me.

At his best he's fucking amazing. But there's zero guarantee that you'll get that.

Usually with an album of his I like a track or two...which become amongst my favourite works...and then there's like 6 or so tracks that just leave me cold.

A good example to me was on the Slash 2010 album. If cornell wrote a song like Slaves and Bulldozers or "You Know my Name" from that bond movie with  Slash it would be amazing...but the one he did write was pretty stock....

As for myles...I know people don't like him...but I think he's still fresh enough to have some good songs left in him.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I dig Myles on this record, the more I listen to it. He really brought it IMO. Not favorite singer but the dude has chops and writes some pretty good lyrics ie "Not for Me". Not perfect but he does the job good enough to not bring the songs down, for the most part

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Slash - Anastasia (Full guitar cover)

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
gibbo wrote:

Quality aside, that fucking ROCKED!!!!:mosh:

Love Myles' added improv lyric too "so afraid to be what you are... motherfucka!"

Board footer