You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Dublin, Ireland, May 17th

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting theory.

I wonder if they seek balance.

What if Axl swung between "I am a rock god and these people piss me off so they can suck my dick, no rules at all apply to me" and "I am nothing, no one would like this music because it isn't good anyway, everyone out there hates my guts, it's near impossible"

Management roll then would be to remind him he's an all time famous composer when he doesn't want to see an audience, but also attempt to reign him in during the moments where tour be damned everyone is getting the sack tonight cos a light bulb malfunctioned.

Pure speculation though. Just sometimes seems like he's capable of extremes from the stories you hear..where sometimes he's the devil and other times he's the nicest guy you'd ever know.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

russtcb wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

you have to admit that is cool....we all know the shortcomings but it is nice to see some self reflection and honesty.

Oh I totally think it's cool. But here's the deal; I wonder if "management" agrees with who Axl is. I envision Axl to be a cool, humble, eccentric dude who knows where he stands in the world but "management" keeps telling him otherwise.

I see that way too. I know he hates being brought up as a dick in the press and having the same questions churned out for years as well. I'd feel the same way too. From what I've seen in interviews during the CD area, I've seen former alumni or people passing through see him as a cool, chill dude; but when it comes to making music and trying to get a good deal out there for it to make profit sometimes you got to make sacrifices that may make you look bad.

Sky Dog wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

you have to admit that is cool....we all know the shortcomings but it is nice to see some self reflection and honesty.

Oh I totally think it's cool. But here's the deal; I wonder if "management" agrees with who Axl is. I envision Axl to be a cool, humble, eccentric dude who knows where he stands in the world but "management" keeps telling him otherwise.

honestly, I don't think Axl would still be around if it wasn't for Beta. You can debate all the other issues. She has kept him alive.

Me_Wise_Magic

I definitively can't argue with that. Especially looking at towards the end of Rock in Rio 3. They seem to truly care about one another and Axl has someone looking out for him despite all the drama with business and other management crap that goes on.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

agree to disagree....he needed a mother figure and she filled that role at a time when I think he really needed it. All the other stuff I freely admit I don't know about....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

Richard solo was NOT the James Bond theme and had the band backing him up.

Bumblefoot solo was also different, containing parts of Danny Boy.

There Was A Time was played. Civil War returned.

Pretty different than the shows on Russia.

I guess the band is aware they are playing for people that already saw this show (Russia didn't, only received a private show) and they are changing things up.

Also: I find amusing when people come to the boards saying "oh but Axl has been playing the same setlist since 2001". Fuck me, he's not!

2001/2002 was way different from 2006 that was different from 2010 that is different from 2012.

There are things that won't change. You won't go to a concert where GNR doesnt play Jungle, ISE, Sweet Child, November Rain (even if Axl plays only the first half 16), etc.

But the sets have changed, songs have been added, after CD release the whole album was played, some songs more often than others.

Perhaps the sets aren't changing the way we, the hardcores, want or expect, but to deny they are changing is another thing.

1) I like that new solo spot by Richard.

2) On the setlist complaints.  Obviously they haven't been playing the same setlist since 2002.  That's an exaggeration by anyone who says that.  They've added new songs or made changes each time out.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  When people complain about the setlists, they're really complaining about the lack of new material.  Playing CD songs, or different UYI tracks doesn't cut it with some people anymore.

I do think we'll get some new surprises on this tour.  TWAT was a good start.  Oh My God could get played somewhere down the line.  Maybe another UYI track.  And MAYBE, just maybe, they'll break out a new song like Going Down.  If that happens though, I'd expect it to be more towards the end of the tour, so they can then head into the studio and finish up work on the follow up album.  That's in a perfect world of course.

Me_Wise_Magic

faldor wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

Richard solo was NOT the James Bond theme and had the band backing him up.

Bumblefoot solo was also different, containing parts of Danny Boy.

There Was A Time was played. Civil War returned.

Pretty different than the shows on Russia.

I guess the band is aware they are playing for people that already saw this show (Russia didn't, only received a private show) and they are changing things up.

Also: I find amusing when people come to the boards saying "oh but Axl has been playing the same setlist since 2001". Fuck me, he's not!

2001/2002 was way different from 2006 that was different from 2010 that is different from 2012.

There are things that won't change. You won't go to a concert where GNR doesnt play Jungle, ISE, Sweet Child, November Rain (even if Axl plays only the first half 16), etc.

But the sets have changed, songs have been added, after CD release the whole album was played, some songs more often than others.

Perhaps the sets aren't changing the way we, the hardcores, want or expect, but to deny they are changing is another thing.

1) I like that new solo spot by Richard.

2) On the setlist complaints.  Obviously they haven't been playing the same setlist since 2002.  That's an exaggeration by anyone who says that.  They've added new songs or made changes each time out.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  When people complain about the setlists, they're really complaining about the lack of new material.  Playing CD songs, or different UYI tracks doesn't cut it with some people anymore.

I do think we'll get some new surprises on this tour.  TWAT was a good start.  Oh My God could get played somewhere down the line.  Maybe another UYI track.  And MAYBE, just maybe, they'll break out a new song like Going Down.  If that happens though, I'd expect it to be more towards the end of the tour, so they can then head into the studio and finish up work on the follow up album.  That's in a perfect world of course.

That plan would be perfect for most of us here. Hoping something like that happens down the road.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

This guys TWAT might be better too.  Hold the laughter please.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

agree to disagree....he needed a mother figure and she filled that role at a time when I think he really needed it. All the other stuff I freely admit I don't know about....

I agree with Russ. Without getting into specifics, Beta and that whole situation has been literally THE WORST thing to EVER happen to Axl. And i'll also leave it at that, because of the personal feelings involved, and the fact we do have to remain cordial to that camp in some manner, especially being she's "mom" now.

Sometimes it's better to be dead and right

Than it is to be alive and disillusioned

Trust me. Just because that guy is performing, doesn't mean he's okay. Self-important, selfish fans (no offense) just want him to perform so they can be happy, but on a human being level Axl is a fragile as a 6-year old raped child suicide bomber. And they've kept him that way, not the other way around.

When Duff said the word "sharks", this is what he meant.

Board footer